Taking apologetics stupid to the next level.

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Taking apologetics stupid to the next level.

#1  Postby Shrunk » Feb 09, 2018 6:16 pm

I can pick up a book. Therefore God.

"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Taking apologetics stupid to the next level.

#2  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 09, 2018 9:04 pm

Well, he is the rectal extractor extraordinaire.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 09, 2018 9:25 pm

Don't recognise this individual. Should this specimen be known to me?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Alan B » Feb 09, 2018 10:10 pm

I see. So every time I walk up the stairs I am 'breaking' a natural law...

Hmmm! Must have a think about this... :think:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby i have no avatar » Feb 10, 2018 1:08 am

Alan B wrote:I see. So every time I walk up the stairs I am 'breaking' a natural law...

Not only that, according to this fuckwit's* logic, you are performing a miracle (as you are just as much 'outside the system' as he is when he picks up the book).

I jotted down his fuckwitted statements as he went along in order to refute them but gave up: too many to address, and it would be a colossal waste of time.

Unfortunately, I think his argument will appeal to, and also make sense to a lot of people.

* I assume from Calilasseia's response that this person is not a member of the fora, otherwise he is misguided, not a fuckwit. Nevertheless, his statements are still fuckwitted.
but i do have a signature
i have no avatar

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Thommo » Feb 10, 2018 1:13 am

I love the idea that God can do miracles, like pick up a book. Reminds me of the miracle of the sausages.

Just a pity that even with a bar that low, I'm still not convinced God can actually do it, certainly nobody has ever seen it.
Thommo

Print view this post

#7  Postby Animavore » Feb 10, 2018 1:23 am

Joshua made the Sun and the Moon stand still. Elisha raised a child from the dead. Jesus flew into the sky like Superman. But hold on to your nuts, this guy can lift books and walk stairs.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 10, 2018 9:06 am

Calilasseia wrote:Don't recognise this individual. Should this specimen be known to me?

He's a semi popular Christian apologist that likes to copy Calamity Craig.
Has his own apologetics organisation:
http://crossexamined.org/
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Animavore » Feb 10, 2018 11:47 am

Crossexamined. That's pretty clever. He's like The 4 Non Blondes of saying clever things.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Shrunk » Feb 10, 2018 1:05 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:Don't recognise this individual. Should this specimen be known to me?

He's a semi popular Christian apologist that likes to copy Calamity Craig.
Has his own apologetics organisation:
http://crossexamined.org/

There is a sort of sliding scale of apologetics. Someone like Craig at least seems to understand logic well enough to craft clever arguments that are superficially convincing and whose fallacies can be difficult to discern. Then you get guys like Turek, who try to emulate the form of Craig's arguments but don't really have the smarts to do so. By the time you get to the people who are buying (literally) Turek's arguments, we are approaching the intellectual level of pond scum.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 10, 2018 2:27 pm

Oh so this is the Turek entity I've been hearing about so much in other places?

I notice the first thing that pops up, in LARGE font, on that website of his, is a big begging message asking the suckers to give him money. He doesn't even try to hide his blatant begging for other people's money, by parking the "please donate" message in a little box further down the page - he just comes straight out with "give me your money so I can live a comfortable life doing nothing but bullshitting for a living". Which pretty much points to his underlying motivation.

I can think of some choice phrases that would be deployed in his direction by most people living north of Watford, and hopefully a good number south as well. Though the choices of the Northerners would probably be more entertaining to observe in action. :)

He's also present on Facebook, in much the same manner as smallpox used to be present in Europe. With similarly pestilential results. I'd simply never seen a photo of this individual before, and frankly, having seen the factory-pressed smug, self-satisfied expression he wears, that appears to be a common feature amongst many money-grubbing 'evangelists' (I presume he's American), my life isn't enhanced in the slightest by now seeing one. Though I now know what to look out for if ever this life form turns up in my area, doing his self-propelled bag of smarm act.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Fallible » Feb 10, 2018 5:38 pm

I just picked up two books.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby surreptitious57 » Feb 10, 2018 6:08 pm

The Universe by definition is all that there is so there can be nothing outside of it including God. Also no evidence it had
a beginning. And lifting up a book is not evidence of natural law being overpowered. Gravity is incredibly weak so is very
easy to manipulate. Nothing miraculous happening at all. Dont know what his doctorate is in but it definitely isnt physics
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#14  Postby Fallible » Feb 10, 2018 6:29 pm

Yeah but why is gravity so weak, surr? Why? WHYYYYYYY???????!!!!!!!1111!!1 God, that's why!!
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby The_Piper » Feb 10, 2018 6:58 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:The Universe by definition is all that there is so there can be nothing outside of it including God. Also no evidence it had
a beginning. And lifting up a book is not evidence of natural law being overpowered. Gravity is incredibly weak so is very
easy to manipulate. Nothing miraculous happening at all. Dont know what his doctorate is in but it definitely isnt physics

There might be other universes outside of ours. No one can say either way so far. I don't think that there are alternate universes like Back to the Future, personally, but other distinct big bangs could have happened in different places. Things like that.
But it's just semantics I suppose. I use the word Cosmos to refer to everything.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby laklak » Feb 10, 2018 8:06 pm

I missed my calling, I could come up with ten things this fucking stupid before breakfast. Just think of the money I could have made.

Pastor Lak, he's got your back!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Propagangster » May 09, 2018 5:03 am

So basically, we're all Gods? So why pick-up a book? We already know everything.
Propagangster

Name: François
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby CarlPierce » May 22, 2018 11:06 am

Fallible wrote:I just picked up two books.

Stop lying ! You will be claiming you ate three shredded wheat next.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Blackadder » May 22, 2018 2:56 pm

Christian fundies could do with picking up a lot more books. Preferably science books. And reading them. They might learn something.

Now THAT would be a miracle.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Calilasseia » May 28, 2018 1:48 pm

Blackadder wrote:Christian fundies could do with picking up a lot more books. Preferably science books. And reading them. They might learn something.

Now THAT would be a miracle.

Trouble being that you stand more chance of being televised live performing the first ever nude breakdance on Mars, than you do of seeing the fundies venture out of their mythological echo chamber.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Theism