The Million Gods Project

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: The Million Gods Project

#41  Postby DanDare » Apr 03, 2010 2:01 pm

Split the page in to A to Z sections. Added other GOOs of the Lovecraft pantheon.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Made of Stars » Apr 04, 2010 7:14 am

Are those gods people actually believe in?
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#43  Postby dylan » Apr 04, 2010 7:27 am

Made of Stars wrote:Are those gods people actually believe in?

Doubt it. But never underestimate the :crazy:
Rational Skepticism: the mind's bullcrap filter
dylan

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Made of Stars » Apr 04, 2010 1:20 pm

If they're not, they shouldn't be in the list. It's supposed to be for supernaturalistic explanations (i.e. gods) for natural phenomena. That is, fictions contrived to explain observed reality, rather than just fictions. ;)

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#45  Postby DanDare » Apr 04, 2010 2:31 pm

There are people who claim that Lovecraft was writing documentaries, not fiction, so they count in that respect. The fact that such people are, to my mind, certifiable does not distinguish the gods in question much from the others. On the other, other hand the Great Old Ones are described mostly as great powers within the cosmos rather than external deities as such, beings with supernatural level technology. These could be considered nascent gods perhaps?
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#46  Postby petwo » May 12, 2010 12:57 am

There are several sports gods, yet I've never actually heard any one of them called by name. In fact some sports may have many unnamed gods. Perhaps there should be a section for nameless gods, everyday deities that confound our daily activities.

Example: I hit a great approach shot the other day, 155 yards out, off the pin and into the drink. Bad luck? Next day same hole, blow my approach over the green, ball hits a tree way back there, rebounds and ends up 6 inches from the cup. Each day the golfing gods were invoked, no names, a lot of swearing, humbled. Just acknowledging the golfing gods and the role they play.
I swear I'm an atheist not because I don't believe in God but because I don't believe the people who do.
petwo

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#47  Postby DanDare » May 12, 2010 2:23 pm

petwo wrote:There are several sports gods, yet I've never actually heard any one of them called by name. In fact some sports may have many unnamed gods. Perhaps there should be a section for nameless gods, everyday deities that confound our daily activities.

Example: I hit a great approach shot the other day, 155 yards out, off the pin and into the drink. Bad luck? Next day same hole, blow my approach over the green, ball hits a tree way back there, rebounds and ends up 6 inches from the cup. Each day the golfing gods were invoked, no names, a lot of swearing, humbled. Just acknowledging the golfing gods and the role they play.

We could have a section entitled "The nameless gods". Each entry would be what the god was a god of, such as the god of golf, the god of poker, the god of public presentations and so on.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby petwo » May 13, 2010 2:46 am

DanDare wrote:
We could have a section entitled "The nameless gods". Each entry would be what the god was a god of, such as the god of golf, the god of poker, the god of public presentations and so on.

Like the God of satirical wit and the God of sarcasm?
I swear I'm an atheist not because I don't believe in God but because I don't believe the people who do.
petwo

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#49  Postby DanDare » May 13, 2010 10:52 am

petwo wrote:
DanDare wrote:

Like the God of satirical wit and the God of sarcasm?

And the god of making no comment.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#50  Postby petwo » May 14, 2010 12:17 am

DanDare wrote:
And the god of making no comment.

:cheers:
petwo

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Think Floyd » Aug 06, 2010 2:30 am

Do we have the Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Warhammer, DnD, WoW, etc. deities on the list yet?
They have just as much evidence for their existence as the rest of humanity's gods!
chairman bill wrote:
Unbridled capitalism is a scary & destructive beast. So long as society acts to tame & control it, it works quite well.
Think Floyd

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#52  Postby DanDare » Aug 07, 2010 6:38 am

I vote for Grumsh!
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#53  Postby lukeprog » Aug 29, 2010 4:26 am

You definitely should add a short description for each god, otherwise gods are going to be confused and conflated. Some gods have the same spelling but are totally different gods from different parts of the globe. You could do something like this:

http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=285
lukeprog

Name: Luke Muehlhauser

United States (us)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Made of Stars » Aug 29, 2010 4:40 am

I do have a list, with geography and description, in an Excel spreadsheet. It's 5,500 or so gods worth, and it's been pretty throughly de-duplicated*. If there were an easy way to turn that into a table in phpBB or wiki, I'd have a crack at it.

*Example: Bmola/P-mol-a/Pamola/Pomola

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#55  Postby quill » Nov 06, 2010 10:02 am

Aww, you guys are missing my favorite god:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awanyu

Awanyu! The guardian water-serpent, protector of travelers and bestower of good luck.

Awanyu is very shy, sometimes hiding away in springs beneath the earth. He may be especially reluctant to come out now that you have excluded him, so don't expect rain anytime soon.
"Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it’s just the opposite." ~John Kenneth Galbraith
quill

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby RaspK » Nov 12, 2010 8:21 am

DanDare wrote:There are people who claim that Lovecraft was writing documentaries, not fiction, so they count in that respect. The fact that such people are, to my mind, certifiable does not distinguish the gods in question much from the others. On the other, other hand the Great Old Ones are described mostly as great powers within the cosmos rather than external deities as such, beings with supernatural level technology. These could be considered nascent gods perhaps?

You have both sorts of people believing in these things, though most (but not all) such people think of them as extraterrestrial or extradimensional (no comment).

One has to wonder how one should start addressing angels, devas, daemons, demons, and so on, though. Titivillus?
RaspK

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#57  Postby talkietoaster » Nov 12, 2010 10:10 am

I looked through that whole list and I couldn't see Closter.
''Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.'' - Smart Person at some time.
talkietoaster

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#58  Postby CarlPierce » Jan 11, 2011 2:12 pm

RaspK wrote:
DanDare wrote:There are people who claim that Lovecraft was writing documentaries, not fiction, so they count in that respect. The fact that such people are, to my mind, certifiable does not distinguish the gods in question much from the others. On the other, other hand the Great Old Ones are described mostly as great powers within the cosmos rather than external deities as such, beings with supernatural level technology. These could be considered nascent gods perhaps?

You have both sorts of people believing in these things, though most (but not all) such people think of them as extraterrestrial or extradimensional (no comment).

One has to wonder how one should start addressing angels, devas, daemons, demons, and so on, though. Titivillus?

Titivillus has a new arch-enemy the god spellchecker.
DanDare you won't be laughing when the stars are right.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#59  Postby DanDare » Jan 13, 2011 3:48 pm

CarlPierce wrote:DanDare you won't be laughing when the stars are right.

Of course I will be. I'll be laughing and gibbering in the Mountains of Madness. Tekillili!
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#60  Postby RaspK » Jan 14, 2011 11:06 am

DanDare wrote:
CarlPierce wrote:DanDare you won't be laughing when the stars are right.

Of course I will be. I'll be laughing and gibbering in the Mountains of Madness. Tekillili!

All of you should really check ye olde Deities and Demigods AD&D supplement... :mrgreen:
RaspK

Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism