The Million Gods Project

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: The Million Gods Project

#61  Postby DanDare » Jan 15, 2011 6:53 am

RaspK wrote:
DanDare wrote:
CarlPierce wrote:DanDare you won't be laughing when the stars are right.

Of course I will be. I'll be laughing and gibbering in the Mountains of Madness. Tekillili!

All of you should really check ye olde Deities and Demigods AD&D supplement... :mrgreen:

Ah memories. I had 1st edition brown box D&D and the Greyhawk, Black Moor and Gods, Demigods and Heroes supplements. I gave them all to a Canadian friend when he left Australia. Sigh.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
User avatar
DanDare
RS Donator
 
Posts: 1900
Age: 56
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The Million Gods Project

#62  Postby RaspK » Feb 04, 2011 8:36 pm

DanDare wrote:
RaspK wrote:
DanDare wrote:
Of course I will be. I'll be laughing and gibbering in the Mountains of Madness. Tekillili!

All of you should really check ye olde Deities and Demigods AD&D supplement... :mrgreen:

Ah memories. I had 1st edition brown box D&D and the Greyhawk, Black Moor and Gods, Demigods and Heroes supplements. I gave them all to a Canadian friend when he left Australia. Sigh.

Awed; seriously. :shock:
User avatar
RaspK
 
Posts: 215
Age: 33
Male

Country: Greece
Greece (gr)
Print view this post

Re: The Million Gods Project

#63  Postby THWOTH » Feb 13, 2012 3:31 am

Get a life!







:D
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Name: Penrose
Posts: 36924
Age: 52

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Million Gods Project

#64  Postby aban57 » Mar 10, 2012 11:42 am

one of the titles on the page says "under costruction". Who can correct it ?
User avatar
aban57
 
Name: Cédric
Posts: 3947
Age: 38

Country: France
Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: The Million Gods Project

#65  Postby THWOTH » Mar 10, 2012 11:50 am

aban57 wrote:one of the titles on the page says "under costruction". Who can correct it ?

Somebody needs to take charge, eh aban57? :ask:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Name: Penrose
Posts: 36924
Age: 52

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Million Gods Project

#66  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Must reactivate this - I still have the spreadsheet somewhere, which includes info on geographies, cultural affiliations for some, and info on the gods themselves. Anyone know how to wikify a spreadsheet? :)
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
User avatar
Made of Stars
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Call me Coco
Posts: 9750
Age: 49
Male

Country: Girt by sea
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The Million Gods Project

#67  Postby THWOTH » Mar 12, 2012 10:30 pm

I don't think there's a easy, automated way to do it MoS. :sad: I've tried some of the online converters to turn Excel and Calc files into HTML webfiles, but the results vary: http://goo.gl/4ptrB

There are process to convert spreadsheets into SQL tables, but that is beyond my skill set and my pay grade. I bet you LIFE knows how to do it though. :nod:

;)
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Name: Penrose
Posts: 36924
Age: 52

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The Million Gods Project

#68  Postby indy » Jun 01, 2012 5:56 pm

Does this list exclude demons, malevolent beings or devils. Satan's superpowers are way better than God's!
indy
 
Posts: 33

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Million Gods Project

#69  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 02, 2012 2:34 am

No it doesn't. And agreed, Satan is helped out though by not being as hypocritical and self-contradictory as the Abrahamic god.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
User avatar
Made of Stars
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Call me Coco
Posts: 9750
Age: 49
Male

Country: Girt by sea
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The Million Gods Project

#70  Postby JTRizzle » May 28, 2014 1:48 pm

Made of Stars wrote:This thread has been wikified.
The objective is to collate the names of deities created by humans to give some meaning to the world around them. For the purposes of this project, and loosely speaking, a 'god' is something that is used to explain natural phenomena in the absence of proper naturalistic understanding. This includes 'personifications' of natural phenomena, motive spirits, and spirits used to explain incidents such as lottery wins, drownings, cot/crib death, and so on. The unnamed god of intelligent design creationism counts here too.



Improvements to the wiki can be discussed here.



The God of Abraham (perhaps the unnamed god of intelligent design, but who knows how He did it) is NOT something that is used to explain a natural phenomena. no explanation of any natural phenomena is necessary in our (Catholicism's) definition of God. if all things about nature were known, there would be no reason whatsoever to disbelieve in God because there is no phenomenon on which He relies. now, many Christians do use God to explain the unexplained, but that has no bearing on what God really is. refer to the Catechism of the Catholic Church for more information on this matter. I think your idea is interesting, it could be a very cool read (if it is not overly biased towards any of the gods or lack of gods) but i think it would be a good idea to either change the criteria or leave the God of Abraham out of it because He does NOT fit the criteria.
JTRizzle
 
Name: J
Posts: 151

Country: mERICA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Million Gods Project

#71  Postby Fallible » May 28, 2014 1:50 pm

:lol:
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 43949
Age: 44
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: The Million Gods Project

#72  Postby Made of Stars » May 28, 2014 2:23 pm

JTRizzle wrote:The God of Abraham (perhaps the unnamed god of intelligent design, but who knows how He did it) is NOT something that is used to explain a natural phenomena.

Genesis. Book of.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
User avatar
Made of Stars
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Call me Coco
Posts: 9750
Age: 49
Male

Country: Girt by sea
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The Million Gods Project

#73  Postby JTRizzle » May 28, 2014 3:38 pm

Made of Stars wrote:
JTRizzle wrote:The God of Abraham (perhaps the unnamed god of intelligent design, but who knows how He did it) is NOT something that is used to explain a natural phenomena.

Genesis. Book of.



that is an allegorical tale. God's existence does not rely on this story. as i said, Christians have and do use God to explain natural phenomena, but that is NOT what He is. He is a self contained entity, He in no way relies on a description of any natural event.
JTRizzle
 
Name: J
Posts: 151

Country: mERICA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Million Gods Project

#74  Postby Clive Durdle » May 28, 2014 4:47 pm

On giving games away, isn't this an extremely dangerous practice and is not the number of gods out by a factor of is it 7?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle
 
Name: Clive Durdle
Posts: 4796

Country: UK
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Million Gods Project

#75  Postby Clive Durdle » May 28, 2014 4:51 pm

The number I am alluding to was proposed when the world's population was far less and gives a result of about 2000 gods per person. Is that a reasonable estimate?

Do cats have gods? What about gods of aliens? Do we need to factor in a Drake Equation?
Last edited by Clive Durdle on May 28, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle
 
Name: Clive Durdle
Posts: 4796

Country: UK
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The Million Gods Project

#76  Postby trubble76 » May 28, 2014 4:52 pm

JTRizzle wrote:
Made of Stars wrote:This thread has been wikified.
The objective is to collate the names of deities created by humans to give some meaning to the world around them. For the purposes of this project, and loosely speaking, a 'god' is something that is used to explain natural phenomena in the absence of proper naturalistic understanding. This includes 'personifications' of natural phenomena, motive spirits, and spirits used to explain incidents such as lottery wins, drownings, cot/crib death, and so on. The unnamed god of intelligent design creationism counts here too.



Improvements to the wiki can be discussed here.



The God of Abraham (perhaps the unnamed god of intelligent design, but who knows how He did it) is NOT something that is used to explain a natural phenomena. no explanation of any natural phenomena is necessary in our (Catholicism's) definition of God. if all things about nature were known, there would be no reason whatsoever to disbelieve in God because there is no phenomenon on which He relies. now, many Christians do use God to explain the unexplained, but that has no bearing on what God really is. refer to the Catechism of the Catholic Church for more information on this matter. I think your idea is interesting, it could be a very cool read (if it is not overly biased towards any of the gods or lack of gods) but i think it would be a good idea to either change the criteria or leave the God of Abraham out of it because He does NOT fit the criteria.


I wonder if you are the only believer that thinks their god is different? :ask:

I hate to break it to you but your invisible friend is no different to all the other invisible friends. They are all silly little fairy tales, some more amusing than others.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
User avatar
trubble76
RS Donator
 
Posts: 11205
Age: 40
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Million Gods Project

#77  Postby Made of Stars » May 28, 2014 6:04 pm

JTRizzle wrote:
Made of Stars wrote:
JTRizzle wrote:The God of Abraham (perhaps the unnamed god of intelligent design, but who knows how He did it) is NOT something that is used to explain a natural phenomena.

Genesis. Book of.



that is an allegorical tale. God's existence does not rely on this story. as i said, Christians have and do use God to explain natural phenomena, but that is NOT what He is. He is a self contained entity, He in no way relies on a description of any natural event.

I think this is a discussion you need to have with your fundamentalist friends first, then we can talk. I don't really debate Sophisticated TheologiansTM any more. I've found that the last step towards atheism is best completed on one's own.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
User avatar
Made of Stars
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Call me Coco
Posts: 9750
Age: 49
Male

Country: Girt by sea
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The Million Gods Project

#78  Postby Made of Stars » May 28, 2014 6:10 pm

Clive Durdle wrote:On giving games away, isn't this an extremely dangerous practice and is not the number of gods out by a factor of is it 7?

Shhh! We only need to worry if the lights start going out.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
User avatar
Made of Stars
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Call me Coco
Posts: 9750
Age: 49
Male

Country: Girt by sea
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The Million Gods Project

#79  Postby Clive Durdle » May 28, 2014 7:24 pm

A stage earlier surely, an order by a Tibetan monastery for a computer? Actually, would a smart phone do now?
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle
 
Name: Clive Durdle
Posts: 4796

Country: UK
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Million Gods Project

#80  Postby Made of Stars » May 28, 2014 9:00 pm

Yeah, prolly.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
User avatar
Made of Stars
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Call me Coco
Posts: 9750
Age: 49
Male

Country: Girt by sea
Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest