The Million Gods Project

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

The Million Gods Project

#1  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 20, 2010 2:34 pm

This thread has been wikified.
The objective is to collate the names of deities created by humans to give some meaning to the world around them. For the purposes of this project, and loosely speaking, a 'god' is something that is used to explain natural phenomena in the absence of proper naturalistic understanding. This includes 'personifications' of natural phenomena, motive spirits, and spirits used to explain incidents such as lottery wins, drownings, cot/crib death, and so on. The unnamed god of intelligent design creationism counts here too.

Improvements to the wiki can be discussed here.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re Million Gods thing

#2  Postby Nixon » Mar 20, 2010 4:51 pm

Cihuateteo is a collective noun and not a distinct single divine figure, Mictlan is a place, Acolmiztli and Acolnahuacatl were both entirely human rulers or reasonably certain historicity later discussed in terms of death symbolism (notably in Codex Chimalpahin - Acolmiztli ruled in Coatlinchan roughly circa the late 1300s / early 1400s). I am disappoint. :nono:
Nixon

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Re Million Gods thing

#3  Postby dylan » Mar 20, 2010 5:02 pm

Hey, don't diss the list. I'm a god! :smoke: :drunk:
Rational Skepticism: the mind's bullcrap filter
dylan

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Nixon » Mar 20, 2010 5:14 pm

dylan wrote:Hey, don't diss the list. I'm a god! :smoke: :drunk:

Yes. Yes, I believe you are. :thumbup:

I've gotten quite attached to poor old Acolmiztli over the years and I just thought it was time someone spoke up for the guy.

I haven't checked but I bet Ehecatl is in there. Ehecatl just means 'wind' and I suspect his/its inclusion might just imply that people don't believe in wind. Sure, it can be embarrassing at an inopportune moment but refusing to believe in it seems counterproductive to me.
Nixon

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby tytalus » Mar 20, 2010 8:32 pm

War Arrow wrote:Cihuateteo is a collective noun and not a distinct single divine figure, Mictlan is a place, Acolmiztli and Acolnahuacatl were both entirely human rulers or reasonably certain historicity later discussed in terms of death symbolism (notably in Codex Chimalpahin - Acolmiztli ruled in Coatlinchan roughly circa the late 1300s / early 1400s). I am disappoint. :nono:

Well, based only on a quick check at Wikipedia, the articles agree with you on the first two, although the Cihuateteo article mentions there is a singular form. Whereas this article mentions the last two as referencing a god, with a particular man who took the god's name in his honor. Maybe it's wrong? It's just Wikipedia, I wouldn't rule that out.

If this is an area of expertise/interest for you, perhaps the list here and Wikipedia could benefit from it.
Futurama wrote: Bender: Dying sucks butt. How do you living beings cope with mortality?
Leela: Violent outbursts.
Amy: General slutiness.
Fry: Thanks to denial, I'm immortal.
tytalus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Nixon » Mar 20, 2010 10:33 pm

Yes. Wikipedia. Cihuateteo simply means Goddesses (the duplication of te followed by teo signifies the plural). Acolmiztli is better translated as "Lion of the Acolhua" (miztli is 'feline' rather than literally lion (there being no indigenous lions, except I suppose mountain lions) but it's in the chivalric sense) and Nezahualcoyotl* was the most celebrated ruler of the Acolhua people (of Texcoco and Coatlinchan) so that was more in the sense of an honorific title. Naming oneself after a death god was a bit of a no no.

Er... I think I just made a MAJOR derail of my own thread. Probably better lock this, otherwise I'll just bang on about this
shite for days.

*: Famously credited with a number of poems questioning human understanding of the supernatural and whether it was all merely imagination. The Conquistadores of course took this to mean that even then these people suspected the lies of their beliefs and that there was really ONE TRUE GOD etc etc...
Nixon

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Nixon » Mar 20, 2010 10:34 pm

By the way... I am just kidding around. I'm not seriously affronted by that list.
Nixon

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby tytalus » Mar 21, 2010 2:04 am

It wouldn't bother me, either way. :) I just figure the people compiling that list would prefer it to be accurate, even if their count drops a bit.
Futurama wrote: Bender: Dying sucks butt. How do you living beings cope with mortality?
Leela: Violent outbursts.
Amy: General slutiness.
Fry: Thanks to denial, I'm immortal.
tytalus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 21, 2010 10:32 am

War Arrow wrote:Cihuateteo is a collective noun and not a distinct single divine figure, Mictlan is a place, Acolmiztli and Acolnahuacatl were both entirely human rulers or reasonably certain historicity later discussed in terms of death symbolism (notably in Codex Chimalpahin - Acolmiztli ruled in Coatlinchan roughly circa the late 1300s / early 1400s). I am disappoint. :nono:

Thanks War Arrow, I'll update the list database. Any more changes?

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The Million Gods Project

#10  Postby katja z » Mar 21, 2010 2:45 pm

Er ... a god called Pan-Africa? :nono:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Nixon » Mar 21, 2010 4:54 pm

Made of Stars wrote:

Thanks War Arrow, I'll update the list database. Any more changes?

Er... how many are on the list so far? I'll happily have a look through providing it isn't a whole morning's work. :shifty:
Nixon

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 21, 2010 7:44 pm

Re. Pan-Africa: This refers to the Pan of Africa, as distinct from the Pan of Europe.

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby katja z » Mar 21, 2010 7:57 pm

Made of Stars wrote:Re. Pan-Africa: This refers to the Pan of Africa, as distinct from the Pan of Europe.

Oh. Just as long as nobody suggests that Panafricainsm is a religion :mrgreen:

Awesome list!

(I was kind of sorry to find it already covers all of the Slavic gods I can think of, so there goes my chance to contribute ... but ... I'm sure there are some more gods hiding out there that you divinologists haven't yet pinned down :naughty2: )

:cheers:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby jparada » Mar 22, 2010 12:22 am

some Muisca* gods

Xue/Sue: sun god
Chia: moon goddess
Bochica: civilizational god/hero
Bachue: the mother of mankind

* The Muisca were the people who lived at the Colombian central Altiplano (where capital Bogota is located) at the arrival of the Spanish.
jparada

Colombia (co)
Print view this post

#15  Postby cursuswalker » Mar 23, 2010 4:31 pm

Bookmarking
Image http://www.caerabred.org/

Space Corps Directive 723. 'Terraformers are expressly forbidden from recreating Swindon.'
cursuswalker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Nixon » Mar 24, 2010 10:23 pm

jparada wrote:some Muisca* gods

* The Muisca were the people who lived at the Colombian central Altiplano (where capital Bogota is located) at the arrival of the Spanish.

[derail]Yowza! Fascinating stuff - I take a passing interest in them as I believe they belong to the Uto-Aztecan language stream so there seem to be some parallels with Central Mexico (certainly the were-jaguar types). [/derail]

You could probably add the Rain Baby too - no-one actually knows what he was called as there's not much evidence of what language was spoke by the Olmecs (though Mixe-Zoque seems to be the frontrunner last time I looked).
Nixon

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Imp » Mar 24, 2010 10:48 pm

'Kalevanpojat' actually refers to 12 different heroes, all giant sons of Kalev. What you might be looking for is the one specifically called 'Kalevanpoika' or, rather, 'Kalevipoeg', who happens to be an integral character in Estonian mythology (Which, admittedly, we stole from the Finns).

Not gods per se, but claimed to be responsible for many national phenomena, so probably applicable.
Even creationism evolves - Mr P (Grizby)
:offtopic:

THWOTH wrote:Devil spawn kitty killer! :mad:
Imp
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#18  Postby trubble76 » Mar 24, 2010 10:55 pm

How about my mate nyaminyami?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyami_Nyami
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby jparada » Mar 25, 2010 5:00 am

War Arrow wrote:
jparada wrote:some Muisca* gods

[derail]Yowza! Fascinating stuff - I take a passing interest in them as I believe they belong to the Uto-Aztecan language stream so there seem to be some parallels with Central Mexico (certainly the were-jaguar types). [/derail]

You could probably add the Rain Baby too - no-one actually knows what he was called as there's not much evidence of what language was spoke by the Olmecs (though Mixe-Zoque seems to be the frontrunner last time I looked).

Oh no, Uto-aztecan languages were never spoken in Colombia. They belong only to the Southwest US and Central Mexico last time i checked. The Muisca spoke a Chibchan language. The chibchan family hypothetically had its urheimat at the Atlantic coast of Central America and from there spread into Colombia. Check at wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chibchan
jparada

Colombia (co)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 25, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks guys, keep posting. I'm a bit busy ATM, but will update the list when I get a chance. :cheers:

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Theism