The Playing God Scale(Only A Thought Experiment Not Literal)

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: The Playing God Scale(Only A Thought Experiment Not Literal)

#21  Postby newolder » May 11, 2019 4:11 pm

aufbahrung wrote:I invented the scale.

but you won't contribute your own measures. How so?
You are all entitled to tinker with it until it is fit for public consumption.

We did. It's not.
Needs some graphs and pyscho-babble from the cartesian thinking crew here.

How would graphs of population by post code versus the sizes and shapes of galaxy clusters be of any help here? :scratch:
A new idea will be fiercely resisted. This is understood. Yet this might be ze winner, could very well be the best idea you've ever had?

What?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby felltoearth » May 11, 2019 4:39 pm

tuco wrote:Airline pilot? What else you got on 2? I mean, travel the world, mating opportunities, good pay, but the uniform and shit I don't like. Anything more hmm relaxed with the same benefits?

Architect? They don’t even wear ties nowadays.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby tuco » May 11, 2019 4:53 pm

Yeah, or a fashion designer! Actually, anything related to arts would probably fit. But to be fit for that, I would indeed need supernatural powers. Right now it's more like a boring analyst or accountant.

lol
tuco

Print view this post

#24  Postby tuco » May 11, 2019 5:11 pm

aufbahrung wrote:
tuco wrote:
aufbahrung wrote:I invented the scale. You are all entitled to tinker with it until it is fit for public consumption. Needs some graphs and pyscho-babble from the cartesian thinking crew here. A new idea will be fiercely resisted. This is understood. Yet this might be ze winner, could very well be the best idea you've ever had?

Anything about God will be fiercely resisted and ridiculed over here. Accept it.

Never thought of being a God, but what surreptitious57 said sounds good to me. Do something to feel good and fuck this world. I dont have the patience with hairless monkeys and less so the will to interfer on Godly level.

When the aliens arrive will the everyday atheirst or theirst be more buffered though especially if they are way, way more advanced? Culture shock could be a issue if we are dealing with a alien species that comes in at nine and a half? God is dead, I concur, but Godlike perhaps another thought..

A huge problem, when talking about God, is to agree on what constitutes one. We can go to a dictionary: supreme being, creator deity, a principal object of faith, ultimate reality, immortal, omnipotent etc etc .. but what does it mean? The concept itself is so vague and incomprehensible that only on this bases its pointless to talk about in my opinion.

When aliens arrive, we can only hope they have some sort of Prime Directive.
tuco

Print view this post

#25  Postby Ironclad » May 11, 2019 5:37 pm

11 obvs
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Spearthrower » May 11, 2019 6:04 pm

aufbahrung wrote:I invented the scale. You are all entitled to tinker with it until it is fit for public consumption. Needs some graphs and pyscho-babble from the cartesian thinking crew here. A new idea will be fiercely resisted. This is understood. Yet this might be ze winner, could very well be the best idea you've ever had?

Are you jamest's lovechild?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#27  Postby Hermit » May 12, 2019 1:15 am

aufbahrung wrote:I invented the scale. You are all entitled to tinker with it until it is fit for public consumption.

Tinkering done in post #5, wherein I extended the scale to ∞. Go the whole hog, I say. Omnipresence and omnipotence and all that.

I'd do a lot of smiting, ordering genocides, burning down entire cities, drowning all of humanity, and causing havoc in ways my predecessor had not thought of. Being a jealous, unjust, brutal and cruel god is the most fun one can have. It will sooooooo suck to be you, humans. :P
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Thommo » May 12, 2019 1:35 am

If I had the powers of a god I would not be me. Humans are defined by reasoning with limited information, not knowing the consequences of their actions, mistakes, heuristics, forgetfulness, short cuts, irrationality, cognitive resource limitations and many other things. We are defined by our wants, but how can a god want anything, when it can will its wants out of existence or solve problems with a thought?

If I had the powers of an airline pilot, I guess I'd fly planes. Although, to be fair, I'm not actually sure what the powers of an airline pilot are, I always thought of it as an acquired skillset and body of knowledge.
Thommo

Print view this post

#29  Postby Hermit » May 12, 2019 2:06 am

Thommo wrote:If I had the powers of a god I would not be me. Humans are defined by reasoning with limited information, not knowing the consequences of their actions, mistakes, heuristics, forgetfulness, short cuts, irrationality, cognitive resource limitations and many other things. We are defined by our wants, but how can a god want anything, when it can will its wants out of existence or solve problems with a thought?

:lol:

Speak for yourself. I'd be me with all the godly powers that can be. I will abolish your definition of what it means to be a human. Stop talking nonsense now. Reflect on the fact for a moment instead that gods have always been created in the image of humans of their time (says a lot about what the early Judaeo-Christian humans were like, doesn't it?), the only exception being that they are also omnipresent and omnipotent.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby Thommo » May 12, 2019 2:07 am

Yeah, but those gods aren't real, they are limited by the powers of human imagination. If I was a god I'd definitely be real. :nod:

In fact, I daresay that even without being a god I'd definitely be real.
Thommo

Print view this post

#31  Postby Hermit » May 12, 2019 2:08 am

Same here, and being omnipotent, everything I say goes. :lol:

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#32  Postby Spearthrower » May 12, 2019 3:04 am

Thommo wrote:Yeah, but those gods aren't real, they are limited by the powers of human imagination. If I was a god I'd definitely be real. :nod:

You might just instantly disappear in a puff of logic.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#33  Postby laklak » May 12, 2019 4:45 am

LImited omniscience would be handy. Like, maybe 24 hours. From right now to this time tomorrow you know exactly what the fuck is going to happen. Every horserace, every track.

Don't know where that fits on the scale but that's all I need. I ain't greedy.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Spearthrower » May 12, 2019 5:14 am

laklak wrote:LImited omniscience would be handy. Like, maybe 24 hours. From right now to this time tomorrow you know exactly what the fuck is going to happen. Every horserace, every track.

Bah, fuck the omniscience, grab the omnipotence instead and just wiggle your temporarily ineffable nose and conjure up as many zeroes in your bank account as you'll ever need. Gods can make complex ready-to-go universes out of nothing after all, so I am sure a few ex-nihilo dollars would be child's play.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#35  Postby tuco » May 12, 2019 6:09 am

laklak wrote:LImited omniscience would be handy. Like, maybe 24 hours. From right now to this time tomorrow you know exactly what the fuck is going to happen. Every horserace, every track.

Dude that's much higher than airlane pilot, that's at least 5 maybe 6.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby LucidFlight » May 12, 2019 6:21 am

tuco wrote:

Dude that's much higher than airlane pilot, that's at least 5 maybe 6.

But, a six or seven is a world leader, and even they don't have information in advance about horse racing results. However, you could be a corrupt world leader and rig the results in your favour.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Cito di Pense » May 12, 2019 6:36 am

What's even better than being God is being Mother of God. It's a little confusing being impregnated by God so you can be Mother of God, but that's the way it is with this stuff. Who wants that job? Anyone? Speak right up.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Spearthrower » May 12, 2019 8:43 am

Well, I like to think I'd try anything once... so I'll go put on something slinky and await the 2nd coming, ooer.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#39  Postby TopCat » May 12, 2019 8:56 am

If I was god I'd sure as fark change the FUA to prevent threads like this.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Svartalf » May 12, 2019 9:59 am

Hermit wrote:Same here, and being omnipotent, everything I say goes. :lol:

Remember though, that god might be omnipotent, but the babble amply demonstrates that it is anything but omniscient...
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism