The Playing God Scale(Only A Thought Experiment Not Literal)

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: The Playing God Scale(Only A Thought Experiment Not Literal)

#41  Postby tuco » May 12, 2019 10:11 am

TopCat wrote:If I was god I'd sure as fark change the FUA to prevent threads like this.

Would you really? They are among the most popular threads around here. Anyone can chip in with little effort, knowledge, research or reasoning, while they seem to be quite entertaining. Bad god bad ;)
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Cito di Pense » May 12, 2019 10:52 am

tuco wrote:
TopCat wrote:If I was god I'd sure as fark change the FUA to prevent threads like this.

Would you really? They are among the most popular threads around here. Anyone can chip in with little effort, knowledge, research or reasoning, while they seem to be quite entertaining. Bad god bad ;)

Don't be a stick-in-the-mud, tuco. God's job is not to be popular. God's job is to be necessary.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Hermit » May 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Hermit wrote:Same here, and being omnipotent, everything I say goes. :lol:

Remember though, that god might be omnipotent, but the babble amply demonstrates that it is anything but omniscient...

Crumple asked: "How far would you indulge in playing God, if you could?" I'd choose to go to the omnipotent end of the scale. May the Bible - and logic for that matter - take the hindmost. :tongue:
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#44  Postby Mirrorless » May 12, 2019 6:04 pm

Listen, I’m a veteran player of PC so called ‘god games’ ( Civilisation, Sim City and the like) and I feel terrible when my little pixel people get nobbled by some poor decision I’ve made.

So I’ll Just light the touch paper, withdraw and cover my eyes in this scenario...which come to think of it is what our current hypothetical god seems to have done.
Mirrorless

Name: G K Generous

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Thommo » May 12, 2019 6:22 pm

Hermit wrote:
Svartalf wrote:

Remember though, that god might be omnipotent, but the babble amply demonstrates that it is anything but omniscient...

Crumple asked: "How far would you indulge in playing God, if you could?" I'd choose to go to the omnipotent end of the scale. May the Bible - and logic for that matter - take the hindmost. :tongue:

This is exactly the kind of attitude that would see you make an immovable rock so heavy you can't lift it and then lift it anyway with an unstoppable force.

And god airline pilot only knows what would happen then, in a universe filled with such contradictions! :shifty:
Thommo

Print view this post

#46  Postby Blackadder » May 12, 2019 6:55 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:What's even better than being God is being Mother of God. It's a little confusing being impregnated by God so you can be Mother of God, but that's the way it is with this stuff. Who wants that job? Anyone? Speak right up.

All that demonstrates is that God is from the Appalachians, where your daddy can also be your granddaddy and mommy is your sister.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby laklak » May 12, 2019 7:19 pm

It's easier to use the inclusive "kinfolk" at times. Momma-sister-third cousin is a bit unwieldy.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Hermit » May 13, 2019 3:51 am

Thommo wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Svartalf wrote:

This is exactly the kind of attitude that would see you make an immovable rock so heavy you can't lift it and then lift it anyway with an unstoppable force.

That is precisely what I was thinking of when I mentioned logic. We tend to think of Logic as the pinnacle of human achievements, or at least as near to it. In reality it's a jumble of axioms we cannot even debate from the outside, for we are trapped within them. Pick any book on logic by Irving M. Copi, E.J. Lemmon or any other authority on the topic, and you'll find nothing but instructions on its finer points. Nobody ever does the equivalent of wondering if angels exist. They just keep debating how many of them can dance on the head of a pin and what the proper dance ought to be. Even the idiots who cast aspersions at the validity, worth and value of logic are trapped within it. No wonder, for "axiom" is just a polite word for "dogma" - that which cannot be argued about.

Just in case someone takes this post seriously ---> :P
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#49  Postby Thommo » May 13, 2019 4:13 am

I took your choice of logicians as evidence of humorous intent. So frivolous. :nono:
Thommo

Print view this post

#50  Postby Hermit » May 13, 2019 5:35 am

Let me be serious for once; Every one of my previous posts in this thread was made in the spirit of frivolity. It's what the topic so fulsomely deserves. :evilgrin:

As for Copi and Lemmon, I don't know what you're saying. Both wrote textbooks on logic that are on the list of requisite reading in philosophy departments of many universities.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#51  Postby Svartalf » May 13, 2019 9:36 am

so mathematics penetrated the stronghold of philosophy... reminds me of the motto on Aristoteles' Academy in Athens : 'Let none enter if he's no geometer'.

I say that because logic, before being a play on words and notions, is first and foremost a branch of mathematics, and most great logicians have been mathematicians first and formost, starting with my pet one, Lewis Carroll.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Spinozasgalt » May 13, 2019 9:53 am

Mathematics is just a branch of gayness. You all know I'm right.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Svartalf » May 13, 2019 9:55 am

well, that would explain why I'm so straight and square...

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Blackadder » May 13, 2019 9:56 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:Mathematics is just a branch of gayness. You all know I'm right.

Show your workings please.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Hermit » May 13, 2019 10:21 am

Svartalf wrote:so mathematics penetrated the stronghold of philosophy... reminds me of the motto on Aristoteles' Academy in Athens : 'Let none enter if he's no geometer'.

You're taking the piss now, right? It's either that, or you're full of it. Mathematics is borne of music. Feelosopee has no connection with either.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby Svartalf » May 13, 2019 10:28 am

well, logic is a branch of maths, and it seems philosophy has taken a keen interest in that, so, you're the one drinking yellow water.
and the maths being born of music is a completely philosophical (pythagorean to be precise) notion.

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Spinozasgalt » May 13, 2019 10:54 am

Blackadder wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:Mathematics is just a branch of gayness. You all know I'm right.

Spinozasgalt wrote:Mathematics is just a branch of gayness.

+
Spinozasgalt wrote:You all know I'm right.

=

So, as a famous mathematician once said,
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Spearthrower » May 13, 2019 10:58 am

Blackadder wrote:

2 men = gay
2 women = gay
Divide by two
1 man (1/2 gay) + 1 woman (1/2 gay) = gay
Therefore, everyone and everything is gay.

I can do logik AND maff! :nod:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#59  Postby Svartalf » May 13, 2019 11:03 am

Im 1 whole man, and I'm not , most definitely NOT, gay, your logic and maff haz terminal flaws.

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Hermit » May 13, 2019 11:28 am

Svartalf wrote:well, logic is a branch of maths, and it seems philosophy has taken a keen interest in that, so, you're the one drinking yellow water.
and the maths being born of music is a completely philosophical (pythagorean to be precise) notion.

:crazy:

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism