Theism, atheism and science

Split from believers' battiness thread

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Theism, atheism and science

#61  Postby BlackBart » Apr 27, 2019 4:01 pm

Nice avatar though. AliExpress does bang out some quality gear doesn't it? :tehe:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Com ... 66505.html
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Svartalf » Apr 27, 2019 8:07 pm

laklak wrote:What position?

missionary, quite obviously

EDIT Sorry Cito, I had not seen your own post before doing this one.
Last edited by Svartalf on Apr 27, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Svartalf » Apr 27, 2019 8:11 pm

Alan B wrote:
The burden of proof falls on the atheist.

No, it doesn't - by definition.
See my sig.

Quite well said... If it came to my own belief that I don't know whether there is a god or not, but if there is, he's an evil bastard unworthy of being worshipped, it might be a slightly different matter.

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Pridefel Knowitelz » Apr 27, 2019 8:52 pm

I like my signature and avatar. Can't please everyone.
The burden of proof falls on the ,,,theist.
All ha ...rump.
Pridefel Knowitelz
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#65  Postby Svartalf » Apr 27, 2019 8:57 pm

Given the obvious trollishness of both in the context of this forum, I'd go so far as to say that you're actually striving to displease as many as you can.

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Pridefel Knowitelz » Apr 27, 2019 9:04 pm

Svartalf wrote:Given the obvious trollishness of both in the context of this forum, I'd go so far as to say that you're actually striving to displease as many as you can.

I've seen some signatures and avatars here that I don't agree with. Doesn't upset me. No one is forcing you to get upset. Anyway, what I do with my signature and avatar is wildly off topic, which makes it even more bizarre that anyone would feel the need to bring it up, while criticizing me for going off topic.
All ha ...rump.
Pridefel Knowitelz
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#67  Postby laklak » Apr 28, 2019 3:02 am

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I honestly don't give a fuck what you believe, and I'm not going to waste my time and mental energy trying to prove anything at all to you. You can believe in fairies, goblins, gods, ghosts, ancient aliens, bigfeet, whatever, it's no skin off my ass. It's your nickel. do as thou will.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 28, 2019 4:29 am

Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:I like my signature and avatar. Can't please everyone.

I like them too.

I mean, they're not actually yours as you borrowed them both off other people, but that's all part of the reason why they're fun.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#69  Postby Macdoc » Apr 28, 2019 4:30 am

Anyway, what I do with my signature and avatar is wildly off topic,

Is it ?? Try wandering into a gay bar with Fuck gays on your Tshirt.

It's about where you are on this atheist forum.....expect to be swung at ....all the time

From where I stand - your just another rather ignorant troll ..nothing you've done has dissuaded me. :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 28, 2019 6:31 am

Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:
Svartalf wrote:Given the obvious trollishness of both in the context of this forum, I'd go so far as to say that you're actually striving to displease as many as you can.

I've seen some signatures and avatars here that I don't agree with. Doesn't upset me. No one is forcing you to get upset. Anyway, what I do with my signature and avatar is wildly off topic, which makes it even more bizarre that anyone would feel the need to bring it up, while criticizing me for going off topic.

Since the topic is about theism, atheism and science it's perfectly on topic to point out that your signature is counterfactual claim.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Pebble » Apr 28, 2019 6:52 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Since the topic is about theism, atheism and science it's perfectly on topic to point out that your signature is counterfactual claim.

But since PK does not rely on facts or logic for his/her claims, what is the issue?
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Svartalf » Apr 28, 2019 7:57 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

:this: post of the day

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 28, 2019 8:22 am

Pebble wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

But since PK does not rely on facts or logic for his/her claims, what is the issue?

The issue is that in science, the burden proof lies with the claimant, so where it concerns the question of (a)theism, the burden of proof lies with theists. And not as PK's signature asserts, atheists.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Pebble » Apr 28, 2019 9:11 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Pebble wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

The issue is that in science, the burden proof lies with the claimant, so where it concerns the question of (a)theism, the burden of proof lies with theists. And not as PK's signature asserts, atheists.

Yes, but where has PK shown any signs of being interested in science? Ignorance combined with certainty is all I see.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 28, 2019 9:22 am

Pebble wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Pebble wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Yes, but where has PK shown any signs of being interested in science? Ignorance combined with certainty is all I see.

I don't see how that's relevant to my original comment being on-topic or not.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby Pebble » Apr 28, 2019 10:07 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Pebble wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Pebble wrote:

I don't see how that's relevant to my original comment being on-topic or not.

I suppose a variation on 'don't feed the troll'.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Pridefel Knowitelz » Apr 28, 2019 10:42 am

Macdoc wrote:
Anyway, what I do with my signature and avatar is wildly off topic,

Is it ?? Try wandering into a gay bar with Fuck gays on your Tshirt.

It's about where you are on this atheist forum.....expect to be swung at ....all the time

From where I stand - your just another rather ignorant troll ..nothing you've done has dissuaded me. :coffee:

This isn't an atheist forum. And I don't care about the opinions of strangers on the internet who mean nothing whatsoever to me. If you're all going to get this emotional over my sig and avatar, God knows how you manage to get through the day. I shall pray for you.
All ha ...rump.
Pridefel Knowitelz
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#78  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 28, 2019 10:57 am

Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:[If you're all going to get this emotional over my sig and avatar, God knows how you manage to get through the day. I shall pray for you.

For some of us, it's not your avatar or your sig. It's that your trolling is lousy.

I mean, PK, show us the flowery invitation you got in order to show up here with your sig and your avatar.

You volunteered for this. You volunteered your prodigious skillset.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Regina » Apr 28, 2019 11:10 am

The prideguy wrote:
" And I don't care about the opinions of strangers on the internet who mean nothing whatsoever to me."
That is genuinely funny. So why are you here? Has your divine overlord ordered you to go preaching to a bunch of atheists?
Btw: I, for one , do like your avatar. It is so strangely appropriate. Zinc alloy, faking gold, depicting some poor sod being tortured to death. Sums up your superstition quite nicely.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 28, 2019 11:21 am

This isn't an atheist forum. And I don't care about the opinions of strangers on the internet who mean nothing whatsoever to me.

But I am still going to seek them out and elect to spend my time responding to them because... because... because...

Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:If you're all going to get this emotional over my sig and avatar,...

And there's the reason why.

Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:God knows how you manage to get through the day. I shall pray for you.

I'll shake my Magic 8 Ball for you.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism