Three Days and Three Nights

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Three Days and Three Nights

#1  Postby rstrats » Jul 27, 2013 12:22 am

Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a “discussion” with 6th day crucifixion proponents, they frequently argue that it is a common Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone knows of any writing from the first century or before that shows a phrase stating a specific number of days and/or a specific number of nights when it absolutely couldn't have included at least a part of each one of the specific number of days and at least a part of each one of the specific number of nights?
rstrats

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Three Days and Three Nights

#2  Postby james1v » Jul 27, 2013 12:56 am

If i had a glass eye, it would be going to sleep right now.

"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Three days, night and day versus three nights and three days

#3  Postby rstrats » May 19, 2021 10:57 am

Can anyone make a case for why "3 days, night and day" isn't necessarily the same as "3 nights and 3 days"?
rstrats

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Three days, night and day versus three nights and three days

#4  Postby Ironclad » May 19, 2021 12:16 pm

One has 24hrs fewer? :dunno:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#5  Postby jamest » May 19, 2021 12:17 pm

Sunset time changes every day, so say tonight's sunset is at 9pm and 3 days on sunset is at 9:02 pm, 3 nights and 3 days will be a couple of minutes longer than 3 days night and day if a day is considered to start at midnight.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Spearthrower » May 19, 2021 3:45 pm

How peculiar.

2 posts on this forum, and both on the same topic, albeit separated by 8 years!

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post1 ... l#p1767336

rstrats wrote:Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a “discussion” with 6th day crucifixion proponents, they frequently argue that it is a common Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone knows of any writing from the first century or before that shows a phrase stating a specific number of days and/or a specific number of nights when it absolutely couldn't have included at least a part of each one of the specific number of days and at least a part of each one of the specific number of nights?

Posted Jul 27, 2013

That's a long time to be looking for the answer.

See you again in 2029!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby campermon » May 19, 2021 7:48 pm

Whichever way you put it, that's one impressive drinking session! :grin:

:beer:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Three Days and Three Nights

#8  Postby Challenger007 » May 27, 2021 11:00 am

rstrats wrote:Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a “discussion” with 6th day crucifixion proponents, they frequently argue that it is a common Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone knows of any writing from the first century or before that shows a phrase stating a specific number of days and/or a specific number of nights when it absolutely couldn't have included at least a part of each one of the specific number of days and at least a part of each one of the specific number of nights?

I believe that the old scriptures contain many inaccuracies. First, we don't know how accurate the numbering system was. Secondly, we do not know at all how accurate the information is. In those days, writing was not so widespread, a lot was transmitted orally and we cannot be sure that no part of the story was changed by accident or on purpose. Plus, add inaccuracies in translation from dead languages.
Challenger007

Name: Alex Johnson

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Theism