Was Jesus perfect?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Was Jesus perfect?

#21  Postby Alan B » Apr 07, 2018 2:09 pm

Ah, yes, the NT. Possibly full of translating errors and misunderstandings.
Define 'sin' and 'hate' as used in the context of 'he was sinless' and 'hating one's family'.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 07, 2018 2:38 pm

I've seen Jesus Christ Superstar a bunch of times and he seemed like kind of a dick.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby scott1328 » Apr 07, 2018 4:04 pm

He cursed a fig tree for failing to bear fruit even though it was out of season, and it withered and died. I am detecting anger issues.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Alan B » Apr 07, 2018 4:17 pm

scott1328 wrote:He cursed a fig tree for failing to bear fruit even though it was out of season, and it withered and died. I am detecting anger issues.

I think he was being sarcastic for those who believed he could 'do' miracles.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby scott1328 » Apr 07, 2018 4:53 pm

Alan B wrote:
scott1328 wrote:He cursed a fig tree for failing to bear fruit even though it was out of season, and it withered and died. I am detecting anger issues.

I think he was being sarcastic for those who believed he could 'do' miracles.

You’re right. I am very sarcastic and everyone knows how perfect I am.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Alan B » Apr 07, 2018 5:02 pm

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Hamster » Jun 06, 2018 11:25 pm

I guess Jesus in "OK" in the NT, but he's no Atticus Finch.
Hamster

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby LucidFlight » Jun 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Fallible wrote:I'm not sure what perfectly moral would look like. Morality is subjective.

Also, compared to today, standards of personal hygiene would have been much lower. I suspect that he might have presented as being quite scruffy, with unkempt hair — which is fine, because had it been overly-preened, he may have been perceived to have too much of what one might call a sense of pride, a quite sinful thing in itself. Inevitably, there is some level of imperfection and dirtiness at the microscopic level, particularly when considering unavoidable presence of bacteria — and combined with the conditions of living in a dry and dusty environment, it would be impossible to be perfectly clean. On the basis of cleanliness alone, it would have been impossible for Jesus to reach perfection. But then, what is perfect cleanliness? What if cleanliness is not a measure of perfection, but of sin?
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Matt_B » Jun 07, 2018 12:11 am

He could perhaps be described as a perfect arsehole, but that's about the only sense in which I'd use the word.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#30  Postby laklak » Jun 07, 2018 2:19 am

LucidFlight wrote: — which is fine, because had it been overly-preened, he may have been perceived to have too much of what one might call a sense of pride,

He'd look like a televangelist. Probably do pretty well, making cripples walk and dead men rise and all that. Ka-CHING!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Seabass » Jun 07, 2018 2:40 am

I don't know if he was perfect, but he apparently had perfect abs.

"The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots." ―H.L. Mencken

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." —Einstein
"I’m a nationalist." —Trump
Seabass

Name: Typical Macho American

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby laklak » Jun 08, 2018 3:02 am

Jesus abs. Or maybe Kris Kristofferson.
Attachments
Boxer Jesus 3.jpg
Boxer Jesus 3.jpg (25.7 KiB) Viewed 980 times
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Hamster » Jun 08, 2018 6:12 am

Well Jesus's ring-craft may well have been perfect, but all the "turning the other cheek" malarkey would've been encouraging to his opponents.
Hamster

Print view this post

#34  Postby Matt_B » Jun 08, 2018 8:28 am

Hamster wrote:Well Jesus's ring-craft may well have been perfect, but all the "turning the other cheek" malarkey would've been encouraging to his opponents.

On the other hand, they might have been taken aback when they found out he had brought a sword. :grin:
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#35  Postby PensivePenny » Jun 08, 2018 3:35 pm

And then there's the whole moneychangers' "overturning the tables" bruhaha... One more example and we have a bonafide history of anger... If only there was someone he could turn to for inner peace? A calming influence. I know his Father was a violent sadistic prick given to anger. Must run in the family. Hmmm... Siddhartha Gautama, perhaps? Rather, Ommmmm.

:lay:
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Name: Penny
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jun 08, 2018 4:16 pm

LucidFlight wrote:
Fallible wrote:I'm not sure what perfectly moral would look like. Morality is subjective.

Also, compared to today, standards of personal hygiene would have been much lower. I suspect that he might have presented as being quite scruffy, with unkempt hair — which is fine, because had it been overly-preened, he may have been perceived to have too much of what one might call a sense of pride, a quite sinful thing in itself. Inevitably, there is some level of imperfection and dirtiness at the microscopic level, particularly when considering unavoidable presence of bacteria — and combined with the conditions of living in a dry and dusty environment, it would be impossible to be perfectly clean. On the basis of cleanliness alone, it would have been impossible for Jesus to reach perfection. But then, what is perfect cleanliness? What if cleanliness is not a measure of perfection, but of sin?

No. Read Mark 7:15

Sent from my Kindle
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 08, 2018 4:23 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:Read Mark 7:15

Yes. That is authoritative. Especially if you combine it with that line from Corinthians about how to use the scriptures.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Lou Kleener
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
LucidFlight wrote:

Dont need to read any fairy stories thank you. We are in fallacy land again.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jun 09, 2018 5:47 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
LucidFlight wrote:

Dont need to read any fairy stories thank you. We are in fallacy land again.

If one wished to knock Christianity then one needs to use the source material to discredit it. Making things up (or an opinion) doesn’t cut the mustard.

When I was a fundie (and still a teenager) we were told that the most difficult type of people (atheists) that we would encounter (and try to convert) were the ones that knew the Bible forward and backwards because they could fire back at anything we said… and with the authority of the Bible on their side.

One doesn’t have to believe anything that the Bible says, but if one wants to discredit it to a believer, then one needs to know it.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 09, 2018 6:00 pm

What a complete load of bollocks. The bible has no purpose why discredit something of no worth. You are claiming that this god of yours exists well prove it. I dont have to prove a thing.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism