What's the battiest thing you ever heard a believer say?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard a believer say?

#3421  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 14, 2014 9:33 pm

"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3422  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 15, 2014 3:47 pm

A Christian presuppositionalist presupposes God's existence and argues from that perspective to show the validity of Christian theism.2 This position also presupposes the truth of the Christian Scriptures and relies on the validity and power of the gospel to change lives (Rom. 1:16). From the scriptures, we see that the unbeliever is sinful in his mind (Rom. 1:18-32) and unable to understand spiritual things (1 Cor. 2:14). This means that no matter how convincing the evidence or good the logic, an unbeliever cannot come to the faith because his fallen nature will distort how he perceives the truth. The only thing that can ultimately change him is regeneration. To this end, the presuppositionalist seeks to change a person's presuppositions to be in conformity with biblical revelation.

I have found that a person's presuppositions are extremely important when discussing God and the validity of Christianity. I always ask diagnostic questions to find out where a person is philosophically and presuppositionally so I might better discuss Christianity. This is a very important point to focus on because one's presuppositions will govern how one interprets facts. Please consider the following dialogue as a realistic example of how this works.

Allen: I am an atheist and evolutionist. Prove to me there is a God.
Paul: I do not think I can do that, because of your presuppositions.
Allen: Why not?
Paul: Because your presuppositions will not allow you to examine without bias the evidence that I present to you for God's existence.
Allen: That is because there is no evidence for God's existence.
Paul: See? There you go. You just confirmed what I was stating.
Allen: How so?
Paul: Your presupposition is that there is no God; therefore, no matter what I might present to you to show His existence, you must interpret it in a manner consistent with your presupposition: namely, that there is no God. If I were to have a video tape of God coming down from heaven, you'd say it was a special effect. If I had a thousand eye-witnesses saying they saw Him, you'd say it was mass-hysteria. If I had Old Testament prophecies fulfilled in the New Testament, you'd say they were forged, dated incorrectly, or not real prophecies. So, I cannot prove anything to you since your presupposition won't allow it. It is limited.
Allen: It is not limited.
Paul: Yes it is. Your presupposition cannot allow you to rightly determine God's existence from evidence -- providing that there were factual proofs of His existence. Don't you see? If I DID have incontrovertible proof, your presupposition would force you to interpret the facts consistently with your presupposition and you would not be able to see the proof.
Allen: I see your point, but I am open to being persuaded, if you can.
Paul: Then, I must ask you, what kind of evidence would you accept that would prove God's existence? I must see what your presuppositions are and work either with them or against them.
Presuppositional apologetics differs from Classical apologetics "in that presuppositional apologetics rejects the validity of traditional proofs for the existence of God."3 A pure presuppositionalist tackles the worldview of a person and seeks to change the very foundation of how a person perceives facts.

Adherents to this position have been Cornelius Van Til, Abraham Kuyper, Greg Bahnsen, John Frame, etc.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3423  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 15, 2014 3:59 pm

In short, presuppositionalist apologetics consists of [1] "My mythblogy is always right, along with [2] duplicitous shifting of the burden of evidential support.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3424  Postby ElDiablo » Sep 15, 2014 6:00 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Another one about morality:

Surprise, surprise, comments disabled.

How convenient, god can be anything you want it to be. You can catch a lot of fish with this.
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3425  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 16, 2014 2:00 pm

Well that is what Frankie boy is now doing.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3426  Postby Aca » Sep 17, 2014 10:41 am

on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#3427  Postby tolman » Sep 17, 2014 11:20 am

Sounds more like: 'Harry Potter: School Of Blatant Copyright Infringement'

It does have a twang of a parent desperate for attention making a fake but healthy McDonalds in their back garden because they don't want their kids eating at McDonalds and then making a point of telling other people about it, when most normal parents who wished to avoid fast food would simply avoid it without the song and dance.
Maybe she should get out of the house more.

I can't help thinking that a fair amount of the enmity from fundamentalist Christians about Harry Potter is nothing to do with witchcraft and everything to do with JK Rowling being an example of a successful single parent.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#3428  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 17, 2014 11:24 am

That's just hilariously terrible!
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3429  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 17, 2014 11:25 am

tolman wrote:Sounds more like: 'Harry Potter: School Of Blatant Copyright Infringement'

Well, as far as the quotes go, the only thing she seems to have copy-pasted are the characters names and the name of the school.
Other than that, there's suddenly a congress and Harry apparently has a babysitter.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3430  Postby Varangian » Sep 17, 2014 11:27 am

That Harry Potter spoof is rather blatant. A parody of Christian literature, nothing else.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#3431  Postby Sovereign » Sep 17, 2014 2:50 pm

The new image going around my Christian friends FB pages.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3432  Postby tolman » Sep 17, 2014 2:59 pm

Are all your Christian friends bigots?
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#3433  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 17, 2014 3:09 pm

No you don't need to watch it all, a couple of minutes will give you a good impression.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3434  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Cant the ejit buy a decent webcam?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3435  Postby Varangian » Sep 17, 2014 5:29 pm

Savithru, the gift that keeps on giving:

savithru wrote:What could be more embarrassing to those who laugh at me and ignore me than their complete ignorance of the history of religion and the truth behind it. Esoteric knowledge indeed exists. What could be more embarrassing to all those rationally oriented and scientific minded people than the truth that a humble priest worshipping a deity has a far better understanding of the working of the cosmos than the scientists working at CERN. :lol: Scientists along with their scientific method in dark underground tunnels think that they know more about the universe than the person who created this universe.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#3436  Postby tolman » Sep 17, 2014 6:09 pm

The thing there is it doesn't actually matter whether savithru takes the bollocks seriously or not - even if a parody troll it's dredging up all manner of bullshit from people who are taking half-arsed esotericism seriously or trying to sell it to others, and the serious esotericism really is silly enough to be indistinguishable from parody.
tolman

Print view this post

#3437  Postby Sovereign » Sep 18, 2014 1:41 am

tolman wrote:Are all your Christian friends bigots?

Many of them seem to be...
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3438  Postby Aca » Sep 18, 2014 9:20 am

Atheists are as full of crap as the religions they mock. The fact is that no one can know the unknowable - at least not yet.

Ads like this are not atheistic at their core but satanic / luciferian. They get people to reject God and make them think that their 'logic' can be trusted. Man's thinking is corrupt and twisted and it has nothing to do with religion. The communist governments are proof that you don't need religion to be twisted and murderous. God says there is a way that seems right unto man but the ends thereof are the ways of death and that the reason for this is because man's heart is deceitful and desperately wicked. This is obvious just by looking at society.

What is Hell actually and does God send you there, lets talk about it and you will see that God does not send you there!
You choose to reject Him and yourself traveled there when you could have traveled to Heaven, John 3:16!

Atheism in it's self is ignorance. I'd rather be a philosopher than an Atheist anyday.

HAHAHAHA THIS VIDEO ADD ACTUALLY SUGGESTS ATHEISTS USE LOGIC. HOW CAN YOU BELIEVE PEOPLE FOR 5 THOUSANDS YEARS OF WRITTEN HISTORY WERE NOT USING LOGIC WHEN THEY EXPERIENCED DEITY?

youtube comments on this video

on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#3439  Postby John Platko » Sep 19, 2014 2:21 pm

Aca wrote:
Atheists are as full of crap as the religions they mock. The fact is that no one can know the unknowable - at least not yet.

Ads like this are not atheistic at their core but satanic / luciferian. They get people to reject God and make them think that their 'logic' can be trusted. Man's thinking is corrupt and twisted and it has nothing to do with religion. The communist governments are proof that you don't need religion to be twisted and murderous. God says there is a way that seems right unto man but the ends thereof are the ways of death and that the reason for this is because man's heart is deceitful and desperately wicked. This is obvious just by looking at society.

What is Hell actually and does God send you there, lets talk about it and you will see that God does not send you there!
You choose to reject Him and yourself traveled there when you could have traveled to Heaven, John 3:16!

:nono: That's not what John 3:16 says. :nono:

Although I too think we tend to send ourselves to the state of mind that inspired the concept of hell- with a little help from our friends and family. And I don't see why God shouldn't accept some of the responsibility for our bouts (or more) with hell too.

Atheism in it's self is ignorance. I'd rather be a philosopher than an Atheist anyday.

HAHAHAHA THIS VIDEO ADD ACTUALLY SUGGESTS ATHEISTS USE LOGIC. HOW CAN YOU BELIEVE PEOPLE FOR 5 THOUSANDS YEARS OF WRITTEN HISTORY WERE NOT USING LOGIC WHEN THEY EXPERIENCED DEITY?

youtube comments on this video

I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3440  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 22, 2014 3:06 pm

Not sure if it's from a believer, but still a seriously batty thing to say:

I developed a metaphor for this; Imagine there is a group of people who like to eat poop, they feel good doing it, it has no natural purpose, they just do it because they like it, and it's ok, because hey! Everyone has the right to eat whatever they want. People who don't eat poop should respect their taste... the problem comes when Poop Eaters start believing that eating poop is normal and it should be seen as something as normal as eating other things as pizze or crappy fast food.Then, it becomes a trend, because it starts being acceptable to eat poop because some famous artists do it, and because why not be open minded and try new things? People who dont eat poop still see poop eaters as weird guys, so poop eaters start making propaganda and demanding to be respected and stuff, we all know what happens next... this is just a very accurate metaphor and I dare anyone to debate its flaws.
The moral of the story (if still needed) is: Do whatever you want to do, but don't force your beliefs into a society just because you don't want to feel excluded.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism