What's the battiest thing you ever heard a believer say?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard a believer say?

#5641  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 25, 2018 4:07 am

Another Christian who does not understand the law of non-contradiction:
Absence of a belief in God nevertheless is a belief that God does not exist. Twist it anyway you like,but atheism is a belief system with zero evidence, and must totally rely on faith.

Do atheist believe in something or do atheist believe in nothing???? All the semantic gibberish in the world doesn't change the fact that atheism is just another system of beliefs that one must rely on faith to actually believe.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#5642  Postby Greyman » Jun 25, 2018 4:35 am

Absence of a belief in God nevertheless is a belief that God does not exist. Twist it anyway you like,but atheism is a belief system with zero evidence, and must totally rely on faith.
Aye, so many batty variations on "Okay, sure there's no evidence, but your scepticism is just as much faith/opinion as my gulibility."
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." - T. Tick.
Greyman

Name: Graham

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5643  Postby zulumoose » Jun 25, 2018 6:16 am

I love how they deride atheism as (in their view) being based on faith. Apart from the fact that they are completely wrong about that, they are admitting that faith is a shaky foundation.

Do atheist believe in something or do atheist believe in nothing????

Do non-stamp collectors have a hobby or do they have NO hobbies?????
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5644  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 25, 2018 7:08 am

zulumoose wrote:I love how they deride atheism as (in their view) being based on faith. Apart from the fact that they are completely wrong about that, they are admitting that faith is a shaky foundation.

Do atheist believe in something or do atheist believe in nothing????

Do non-stamp collectors have a hobby or do they have NO hobbies?????

Yup.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5645  Postby Hermit » Jun 25, 2018 10:38 am

Bald people are in possession of a total lack of topside hair.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#5646  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 25, 2018 11:28 am

Hermit wrote:Bald people are in possession of a total lack of topside hair.

The silence is literally deafening.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5647  Postby Hermit » Jun 25, 2018 12:18 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Hermit wrote:Bald people are in possession of a total lack of topside hair.

The silence is literally deafening.

As Zulumoose has already pointed out, atheism is a faith like not collecting stamps is a hobby. The objections to this analogy by theists are laughable. One particularly batty response goes like this:
I would like to suggest that the stamp collecting analogy fails. I suggest it fails because 'Not collecting stamps is a hobby'. I can, 'not collect' stamps and still be engaged in a hobby. I could collect cloth badges, model railways or pencils, and these are all alternative hobbies. Hence the analogy fails because 'not collecting stamps IS still a hobby'.

The logical fracture is palpable: If i do not collect stamps as a hobby i could have collecting other stuff as a hobby. Therefore not collecting stamps is a hobby. WTF?

Turning to an opening post in this very forum we have an even battier non sequitur:
If atheism is akin to just not collecting stamps then theism is akin to just collecting stamps.

But no stamp collector has ever murdered, tortured, and abused millions of people for the sake of getting a new stamp, because there is nothing inherent to stamp collecting which requires you to either oppress other people or change your belief.

Wow. So, unlike a lack of having stamp collecting as a hobby, a lack of belief in a god automatically leads to murder, torture and abuse of millions of people? And that also contrasts with people who never murder, torture and abuse of millions of people for the sake of their religious beliefs?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#5648  Postby felltoearth » Jun 25, 2018 4:52 pm

I usually put it this way...

I believe I have a million dollars buried 10 feet below my backyard. Problem is I need $15,000 for an excavator. Give me $15,000 and I will give you 50%!
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5649  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 27, 2018 1:28 pm

"Atheism asserts nothing"...UNTIL, an atheist opens his or her mouth. Then you'll find there are plenty of assertions flying out left and right lol!!

When you state, "Atheism asserts nothing", you've made an assertion. This known as a self-defeating augment.

My guess is that you were never a Christian but someone just going through the motions. Dig deeper. Following Christ takes commitment and a certain amount of humility. The moment you truly call yourself a Christian nothing can change your mind. Again “evidence” is holding you back. Christians have the Bible as evidence (& creation). There is only one true God. I hope you find Him.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5650  Postby felltoearth » Jun 29, 2018 3:27 pm

That's my favorite from god botherers.

"You're not trying hard enough!"
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5651  Postby felltoearth » Jun 29, 2018 3:28 pm

That's my favorite from god botherers.

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5652  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 29, 2018 4:08 pm

felltoearth wrote:That's my favorite from god botherers.

To which my response is: Why does your god play hide and seek?
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5653  Postby aliihsanasl » Jul 11, 2018 10:39 pm

:what:
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#5654  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Why would God be good? Because evil is a **privation** of good. Good MUST exist **before** evil could exist. Therefore, a Maximally Great Being, if it exists, would be a morally perfect being.

Besides the disengenous notion of a 'maximally great being', theists never fail to acknowledge that this kind of reasoning is equally valid in demonstrating the existence of maximally evil being.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5655  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Another Christian who hasn't read the bible:
Created limited free will creatures allow for the possibility of the deprivation and combined with Satan( the father of lies , temptations and deception ) you have the existence of evil actualized on earth. God knew it would occur but created humans anyway and has provided a path of redemption. An eternal being sees present and future the same, unlike us. Christ made the sinless sacrifice, those who trust and follow his teaching spend eternity with the creator. Those that don’t , do not. The best of all possible worlds ( humans created with limited free will to choose ) and (evil allowed by God to manifest in time ) for the greater good theodicy’s playing itself out in history. God is sovereign. God did not create evil and it is not part of his being.

Isiah 45:7 says hello.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#5656  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 13, 2018 2:46 pm

I'll post the details when I get home, but I just had the surreal experience of sitting behind a Muslima and an elderly Christian lady discussing how wonderful Jesus, faith and the bible are. Complete with self-important smugness course.

*Edit.
So, this was during a busdrive back home.
The things that stuck with me:
Both were talking about how Jesus was such a lovely fellow and saviour, right up to the point where the Muslim women tried to equivocate by claiming Islam and Christianity both have Jesus. To which the elderly Christian lady responded with the evasive 'my views differ on that'.

They also spent several moments complaining and talking smack about religius extremists, mainly ISIS and JWs.
Without a shred of irony declaiming them for being brainwashed and indoctrinated and how one is only truly a Muslim/Christian if one pursues peaceful methods of proselytizing.

At one point they also agreed that atheists were lost people who would realise their folly when they died and how they don't understand how someomone could believe that there's nothing after you die. :waah:

At the end of the conversation, the Muslim woman started telling how her husband was only nominally a believer until he got a serious illness and started to pray 'for the first time in his life' and how that led them to the medical miracle of marihuana. As if that wasn't cooky enough, she then proceeded to tell the elderly Christian lady that she'd been told that the medicinal qualities of marihuana were only recently discovered by Christian doctors who discovered it by reading the bible.
And that the bible therefore 'knew' before science did.
The Christian woman then surprised me by admitting she did not know about that and that she hadn't read the bible in a while.
But then shattered my hopes when she asserted, in all seriousness, that the bible predicted the use of mascara.
They ended their conversation by agreeing that the bible knows earlier/better than science. :banghead:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5657  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 22, 2018 8:46 am

No, because the laws of logic and truth all point to the creator and a source of absolute truths which validates God's existence. Both validate one another.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5658  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 08, 2018 6:12 pm

The meme points out some obvious reasons why belief in a worldwide flood is utterly ludicrous. You could write entire books filled with thousands of reasons why the flood legend conflicts with historical and scientific evidence to the point of impossibility. The meme only presents one of numerous obvious ways of looking at the absurdity of the flood fantasy.

'Meme' in question:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5659  Postby Alan B » Aug 09, 2018 10:41 am

Just watched "Monstrous Machines" in the Victorian Age on BBC.

When fossil dinosaurs began to be dug up, the religious nutjobs of the day explained their demise was because they couldn't fit on Noah's Ark.

I don't think much has changed...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5660  Postby Animavore » Aug 09, 2018 10:55 am

Aronra does a whole series on disproving Noah's flood from different angles.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX ... 5oxY5r6BzP
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism