What's the battiest thing you ever heard a believer say?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard a believer say?

#5681  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 21, 2018 10:22 pm

One of my major issues with theistic morality:
“Well, regardless of what you believe, you’re loved and welcomed here. We’re to love our neighbor as ourselves and you’re our neighbor.”

Being told what to do and act.

More-over the OP contradicts himself several paragraphs later:
Rome tried to even emulate this model, but it failed because for Christians it was done out of love, not duty.

Source: https://blog.heartsupport.com/lets-stop-pretending-christianity-is-actually-relevant-okay-ade4c00dabcc
Last edited by Thomas Eshuis on Aug 21, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5682  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 21, 2018 10:24 pm

This guy has a Disney understanding of the early centuries of Christianity:
Many Christians found themselves persecuted and tortured for their strange beliefs and due to the fact they welcomed slaves, treated women as equals, and demanded husbands treat their wives with respect and fidelity. Church funds were used to buy the emancipation of Christian slaves. When Roman fathers would leave unwanted children in fields to die, Christians would adopt the children and defy the social structure by caring for them. They lived counter-cultural and showed love, grace, and affection towards those with different beliefs.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5683  Postby Hermit » Aug 24, 2018 6:08 am

wrote:The author of Genesis may, thus, have left us clues about evolution but was mindful not to make it too overt as it would have probably offended his readers and created confusion.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#5684  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 24, 2018 8:57 pm

Not really a believer but lolz:

Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#5685  Postby Arcanyn » Aug 25, 2018 1:46 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
1. The character of our universe is determined by physical laws and constants.
2. If these laws and constants had been different, life would probably not have arisen.
3. The laws and constants which led to this suitability for life must have been determined by either physical necessity, chance or design.
4. The laws and constants have not been determined by physical necessity.
5. The laws and constants have not been determined by chance.
6. Therefore our universe was designed.

So accepting the existence of this constant defining creator:
1. The character of our universe is determined by physical laws and constants.
2. If these laws and constants had been different, life would probably not have arisen.
3. The laws and constants were determined by the mental configuration of the creator entity.
4. If the mental configuration of the creator entity had been different, it would have chosen different values for the laws and constants.
5. From 2 and 4, therefore if the mental configuration of the creator entity had been different, life would probably have not arisen.
6. The creator entity's mental configuration which led to it choosing constants suitable for life must have been determined by either physical necessity, chance or design.
7. The creator entity's mental configuration has not been determined by physical necessity.
8. The creator entity's mental configuration has not been determined by chance.
9. Therefore the creator entity was designed.

And of course, by the same reasoning the designer of the creator entity must have been designed, and so forth.
Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5686  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 26, 2018 12:20 am

Yup. It's also an implied straw-man that if the constant were different in any way, life would be impossible.
Life as we know it, might be, but not life in principle.
Most importantly though, we don't know that a differently 'tuned' universe is even possible, we have only one case: our current universe.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5687  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 26, 2018 10:47 am

Or multiverse.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5688  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 09, 2018 11:22 am

The transgender equivalent of anti-vaxxer:
I'm sorry to hear you suffer from self-hatred. It's common among victims of transgenderism. Know that "transition" doesn't solve anything. At best, it delays or hides mental problems. But, by design, it destroys the body's endocrine system, which is necessary to live, making us dependent on pharmaceuticals for life, and putting us at higher risk of heart disease, cancer, sexual dysfunction, weak bones, hot flashes, etc. And it objectively brings no physical benefit. You would do better to avoid you-statements (accusations). My mistake was trusting my doctor to do first no harm. Don't let it be yours, too.

(Adressed to someone on FB)
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5689  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 09, 2018 11:37 am

Original post by the above user:
I was transitioned as a young adult. I now understand sex can't change. HRT destroys the endocrine system, replacing it with lifelong pharmaceutical dependence. Surgery mutilates and scars the body into a superficial mimicry. All this brings no objectively definable physical benefit. It's merely to fit temporary social stereotypes. #desist #detrans

Note, HRT is a treatment for women with menopausal issues, not a therapy for transitioning.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5690  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 09, 2018 11:40 am

Different poster, same discusssion:
SJW's here on this thread... Let's cut the crap. We all know, that gender is not sex, we all KNOW that men can't 'really' change to women. We are just enabling a few men with fetishes to be legally recognized
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5691  Postby zulumoose » Sep 10, 2018 10:56 am

HRT is a treatment for women with menopausal issues, not a therapy for transitioning.

It may not be the correct term, but isn't the hormone cocktail taken by male to female transgendered people a fairly similar thing, possibly commonly also called HRT by many, whether technically incorrect or not.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#5692  Postby Animavore » Sep 10, 2018 11:11 am

Skinny Puppy wrote:

Kovaleski has arthrogryposis, which is a condition causing joint contracture in his right arm and hand.

He is physically unable, due to that condition, to make those gestures.

In addition, as has been already demonstrated, Trump used those type of gestures on a number of occasions.

So no, Trump wasn't doing an imitation of Kovaleski's involuntary movements, since Kovaleski simply can't do that. He does have some control over his fingers, but he's simply unable to make wild gestures with his right arm and hand.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5693  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 10, 2018 11:44 am

zulumoose wrote:
HRT is a treatment for women with menopausal issues, not a therapy for transitioning.

It may not be the correct term, but isn't the hormone cocktail taken by male to female transgendered people a fairly similar thing, possibly commonly also called HRT by many, whether technically incorrect or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormone_replacement_therapy

Hormone replacement therapy (HRT), also known as menopausal hormone therapy (MHT) or postmenopausal hormone therapy (PHT, PMHT), is a form of hormone therapy which is used to treat symptoms associated with menopause in women.
<snip>

The 2002 Women's Health Initiative (WHI) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) found disparate results for all cause mortality with HRT, finding it to be lower when HRT was begun earlier, between age 50 to 59, but higher when begun after age 60. In older patients, there was an increased incidence of breast cancer, heart attacks and stroke, although a reduced incidence of colorectal cancer and bone fracture.[7] Some of the WHI findings were again found in a larger national study done in the United Kingdom, known as the Million Women Study (MWS). As a result of these findings, the number of women taking HRT dropped precipitously.[8] The WHI recommended that women with non-surgical menopause take the lowest feasible dose of HRT for the shortest possible time to minimize associated risks.[7]

No such risks are involved with transgender hormone therapy. As such it's dangerous if not intentionally misleading to conflate the two.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5694  Postby laklak » Sep 12, 2018 7:19 pm

"Why isn’t every scientific question solved that way, by a debate?" From this loon, referring to some undocumented debate where the evolutionists "willfully admitted that their side lost". He's also a big proponent of beating children, apparently that's a legitimate thing in some evangelical circles.

https://americanloons.blogspot.com/2013/08/651-bob-enyart.html" "Why isn’t every scientific question solved that way, by a debate?" ??

I'm not sure where to start. 5th grade?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#5695  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 12, 2018 8:02 pm

laklak wrote:"Why isn’t every scientific question solved that way, by a debate?" From this loon, referring to some undocumented debate where the evolutionists "willfully admitted that their side lost". He's also a big proponent of beating children, apparently that's a legitimate thing in some evangelical circles.

https://americanloons.blogspot.com/2013/08/651-bob-enyart.html" "Why isn’t every scientific question solved that way, by a debate?" ??

I've never understood why people think structured debates are an effective method of determining what's true.
Virtually every example I've seen has been a game of straw-men, dodging and rarely responding to criticisms and defending your claims with facts.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5696  Postby Ironclad » Sep 14, 2018 8:36 am

Church of England to keep Amazon shares despite Welby criticism - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45516830

Two-faced or what.
Welby criticises a loan shark company, then became "embarrassed" when it was revealed the CofE has investment in them. He described the company as a moral evil. Welby attacks 'zero-hours' contracts as the "reincarnation of an ancient evil", later he admits the Church cathedral workers are on these contracts...
So much for his high standards.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#5697  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 14, 2018 10:01 am

laklak wrote:"Why isn’t every scientific question solved that way, by a debate?" From this loon, referring to some undocumented debate where the evolutionists "willfully admitted that their side lost". He's also a big proponent of beating children, apparently that's a legitimate thing in some evangelical circles.

Enjoy seeing him have his arse cheeks handed to him on a plate here ... :mrgreen:
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5698  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 14, 2018 1:09 pm

Star Trek never had substance. It's feel-good escapism wrapped in a fascist power fantasy.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5699  Postby Ironclad » Sep 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Who the fuck said that?
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#5700  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 14, 2018 6:24 pm

:mob:
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism