What's the battiest thing you ever heard a believer say?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard a believer say?

#5761  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 17, 2018 6:08 pm

Fair enough.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#5762  Postby murshid » Dec 23, 2018 11:19 am

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" – Douglas Adams
murshid

Name: Murshid
Male

Print view this post

#5763  Postby Alan B » Dec 23, 2018 12:46 pm

I'm convinced! Praise de Lard! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5764  Postby Arcanyn » Dec 24, 2018 2:12 am

Actually, if you try to live off nothing but bread, you'll end up suffering all sorts of painful and ultimately fatal nutritional deficiencies.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5765  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 26, 2018 11:49 am

Plus, these aren't "elements" in the strict chemical sense of the term ...
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5766  Postby scott1328 » Dec 26, 2018 1:27 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Plus, these aren't "elements" in the strict chemical sense of the term ...

Bread isn't an element even in the Ancient Greece sense of the term.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5767  Postby scott1328 » Dec 26, 2018 1:29 pm

... I was just hashing out this argument on Monday. We can be certain in fact that the Birth of Jesus and the resulting New Testament is "true" for two reasons 1) If a devout Jew or a group of devout Jews were creating a "story" from whole cloth. Jesus would have been a Messiah who would have ridden in with an Army of Angels and booted Rome out of Palestine. And if by some circumstance He was crucified;; you would not have made the Chief Priests responsible; and certainly they wouldn't have "paid" off Judas. 2) There is some physical evidence for the events as told; there is no evidence of Rome being "booted" out of Palestine at the time of Christ's Ministry. Apologies to the Admin for taking bandwidth. But if you open a box; somebody has to try to put the lid on it.

The stupidity hurts so much
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#5768  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 26, 2018 2:24 pm

scott1328 wrote:
... I was just hashing out this argument on Monday. We can be certain in fact that the Birth of Jesus and the resulting New Testament is "true" for two reasons 1) If a devout Jew or a group of devout Jews were creating a "story" from whole cloth. Jesus would have been a Messiah who would have ridden in with an Army of Angels and booted Rome out of Palestine. And if by some circumstance He was crucified;; you would not have made the Chief Priests responsible; and certainly they wouldn't have "paid" off Judas. 2) There is some physical evidence for the events as told; there is no evidence of Rome being "booted" out of Palestine at the time of Christ's Ministry. Apologies to the Admin for taking bandwidth. But if you open a box; somebody has to try to put the lid on it.

The stupidity hurts so much

Dafuq? :what:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5769  Postby Tinker Grey » Dec 27, 2018 4:30 am

"We teach what we know but we reproduce what we are." ~ Dhati Lewis

Deepity
Tinker Grey

Print view this post

#5770  Postby Thommo » Dec 27, 2018 1:09 pm

murshid wrote:Image

This is why a dark cupboard is lethal, but a lit freezer (or oven) is fine.
Thommo

Print view this post

#5771  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 27, 2018 1:17 pm

Just out of interest, I decided to think about this term "deepity", so that it's placed upon a rigorous foundation, and see if I could arrive at a definition thereof, from first principles, before examining what others have expounded on the subject (NOTE: I haven't actually read Daniel Dennet's tome in which this term was introduced, so I will be starting from first principles in this matter).

On the basis of observational data, I conclude that a 'deepity' is a superficial aphorism, presented as if it constituted a profound philosophical statement, relying for its seductive power upon the manner in which some genuinely profound philosophical statements are brief and terse.

Having arrived at the above definition, I then decided to see what Dennett had actually said on the subject, and his definition is somewhat different, but related to the above. Dennett defines a 'deepity' as a statement that appears profound, but is trivial on one level and meaningless on another.

Though there is an intersection between my derivation from first principles, and Dennett's definition, the overlap between the two parts of the Venn Diagram is not total. I think there is utility value in redefining the term as the set union. :)
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5772  Postby scott1328 » Dec 27, 2018 1:22 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Just out of interest, I decided to think about this term "deepity", so that it's placed upon a rigorous foundation, and see if I could arrive at a definition thereof, from first principles, before examining what others have expounded on the subject (NOTE: I haven't actually read Daniel Dennet's tome in which this term was introduced, so I will be starting from first principles in this matter).

On the basis of observational data, I conclude that a 'deepity' is a superficial aphorism, presented as if it constituted a profound philosophical statement, relying for its seductive power upon the manner in which some genuinely profound philosophical statements are brief and terse.

Having arrived at the above definition, I then decided to see what Dennett had actually said on the subject, and his definition is somewhat different, but related to the above. Dennett defines a 'deepity' as a statement that appears profound, but is trivial on one level and meaningless on another.

Though there is an intersection between my derivation from first principles, and Dennett's definition, the overlap between the two parts of the Venn Diagram is not total. I think there is utility value in redefining the term as the set union. :)

Why not? Deepity is just a seven letter word.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5773  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 27, 2018 1:29 pm

I see what you did there :)
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5774  Postby Rumraket » Dec 29, 2018 9:37 am

Some muslim who is in denial about whether his religion some times inspires terrorist groups:

ISIS does not exist. It is an organization created to help keep the Dictators of the Middle east in power so that the Zionists and their collaborators can continue to get cheap raw materials and human capital to keep the balance of power in the world in their favor. The cowards and tyrants who rule the middle east collaborate with their Zionist Masters. The only way to stop this is to fix the corrupt Judiciary. If Judges and Lawyers and Prosecutors were to stop being corrupt, then all institutions could be fixed and everyone would develop faith in the Judiciary and Justice would be assured for all. Eventually, if people truly had faith in a just judiciary, the Dictators who oppress their people would not longer be able to do so... this won't happen so long as nonsense about ISIS is believed by the masses. ISIS is nothing more than the latest reincarnation of ALLCAIDUH and in a few years, the Zionists will come up with yet another way to market fear and self loathing to corrupt Arab Dicatotors and the useful idiots who empower them by writing nonsense like the article above about ficticious organizaions.

ISIS doesn't exist. No no, it's a big conspiracy by the jews. :picard:
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#5775  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 29, 2018 9:51 am

One way of looking at it.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#5776  Postby BlackBart » Dec 29, 2018 9:53 am

This is why a dark cupboard is lethal, but a lit freezer (or oven) is fine.

Siense It werks biches
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5777  Postby thinkerman » Jan 08, 2019 6:55 pm

"There's no problem of evil. Evil doesn't really exist, it's only absence of good."

But of course, that solves it all :doh:
thinkerman

Name: Frederik D.
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5778  Postby scott1328 » Jan 08, 2019 7:13 pm

thinkerman wrote:"There's no problem of evil. Evil doesn't really exist, it's only absence of good."

Then how can there be an "absence of good" when God is omnibenevolent and omnipresent?
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5779  Postby thinkerman » Jan 08, 2019 8:44 pm

scott1328 wrote:
thinkerman wrote:"There's no problem of evil. Evil doesn't really exist, it's only absence of good."

Then how can there be an "absence of good" when God is omnibenevolent and omnipresent?
Just to make clear: my "but of course, that solves it all" was sarcasm.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn WAS-LX1A met Tapatalk
thinkerman

Name: Frederik D.
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5780  Postby scott1328 » Jan 08, 2019 9:24 pm

thinkerman wrote:
scott1328 wrote:

Just to make clear: my "but of course, that solves it all" was sarcasm.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn WAS-LX1A met Tapatalk

Your sarcasm was clear.

The problem of evil (POE) is typically based on the apparent contradiction that the existence of evil is incompatible and contradictory to the commonly given attributes of God: omnipotence ,omniscience, omnibenevolence. What you quoted is an apologist's facile end-run around the POE by ruling out the existence of evil. The obvious retort is that "absence of good" is contradictory to the omnipresence and/or omnibenevolence of God.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism