What's the battiest thing you ever heard a believer say?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard a believer say?

#81  Postby Mick » May 04, 2010 3:02 pm

One weird thing i heard a skeptic say was that Jesus could not be one of the members of the Trinity because the Trinity existed before Jesus was born roughly 2000 years ago. :facepalm:
Christ said, "I am the Truth"; he did not say "I am the custom." -- St. Toribio
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby natselrox » May 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Kaleid wrote:
Don't the X and Y chromosomes prove that a man was first, and a woman was second?

That's wrong at so many different levels! :lol:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Paul G » May 04, 2010 4:50 pm

Mick wrote:One weird thing i heard a skeptic say was that Jesus could not be one of the members of the Trinity because the Trinity existed before Jesus was born roughly 2000 years ago. :facepalm:

Yeah what an idiot.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#84  Postby IBP » May 05, 2010 7:30 pm

natselrox wrote:
...And then I started to abuse his imaginary friend in the worst way possible. This further pissed him and he was probably going to hit me. But having a larger mass and stronger friends saved me. The guy still avoids eye-contact with me in college!

And you think that acting like a dick somehow won you the argument? Am I the only one to consider that puerile?

I bet he went away from that conversation thinking "you know, those atheist guys are allright, maybe I should consider listening to them a bit", oh, wait, no. You just confirmed his prejudices. Well done you.
So rational yet so fucking irrational (Paula1)
Christian, bias declared.
IBP

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#85  Postby natselrox » May 05, 2010 7:39 pm

IBP wrote:
natselrox wrote:
...And then I started to abuse his imaginary friend in the worst way possible. This further pissed him and he was probably going to hit me. But having a larger mass and stronger friends saved me. The guy still avoids eye-contact with me in college!

And you think that acting like a dick somehow won you the argument? Am I the only one to consider that puerile?

I bet he went away from that conversation thinking "you know, those atheist guys are allright, maybe I should consider listening to them a bit", oh, wait, no. You just confirmed his prejudices. Well done you.

On the contrary, I think the whole purpose of the argument was lost as soon as I lost my temper. But you know how hard it is to keep your cool with someone who doesn't even understand the meaning of the word 'logic'.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#86  Postby katja z » May 05, 2010 7:42 pm

IBP, I think you missed the sentence before the bit you quoted, where Natselrox says he challenged his colleague's god to strike him down (as a blasphemer, is that right, Nats? ;)). And obviously the challenge went unanswered, which might jolt the other guy a bit - and maybe even more effectively than Natselrox's arguments (if he would have even listened). Not an approach I would have chosen, mind - but I don't live in India, so who am I to say that Natselrox overreacted?

Edited to add: but it's certainly better not to lose one's temper in such situations. A god might be no danger, but being smitten by an enraged believer is a very real risk.
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#87  Postby natselrox » May 05, 2010 7:47 pm

katja z wrote:IBP, I think you missed the sentence before the bit you quoted, where Natselrox says he challenged his colleague's god to strike him down (as a blasphemer, is that right, Nats? ;)). And obviously the challenge went unanswered, which might jolt the other guy a bit - and maybe even more effectively than Natselrox's arguments (if he would have even listened). Not an approach I would have chosen, mind - but I don't live in India, so who am I to say that Natselrox overreacted?

That's what happened exactly. I was more like trying to insinuate his imaginary friend to strike me dead with a bolt of lightning or something.

I agree that it was not the most effective way to argue but trust me, I'm not good at these things. :shifty:

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby IBP » May 05, 2010 8:54 pm

natselrox wrote:
IBP wrote:
natselrox wrote:

And you think that acting like a dick somehow won you the argument?...

On the contrary, I think the whole purpose of the argument was lost as soon as I lost my temper. But you know how hard it is to keep your cool with someone who doesn't even understand the meaning of the word 'logic'.

Fair enough, I was reacting to the glee with which you recounted the story.
IBP

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#89  Postby locutus7 » May 05, 2010 8:58 pm

That some long-haired dude rose from the dead 2000 years ago, and that all the dead people in the city also rose from their graves and partied (can you blame them?). Zombie-fest, the Prequel. I mean, you would have to be tripping on some serious weed to believe THAT.
"The idea of a "god" creating the Universe is a mechanistic absurdity clearly derived from the making of machines by men." Fred Hoyle

"Your book of myths is about as much use as a fishnet condom is for birth control." Cali
locutus7

Print view this post

#90  Postby Paul Almond » May 05, 2010 10:37 pm

"Mark1Tex: Christ is returning May 21, 2011 Mark1Tex: 27 months 1 week"

"syed07: there are many miracle of GOD shown...
syed07: in google type.. allah miracles syed07: and in youtube.. type cow says allaah..."

"nicetomeetyou_13: amputees have being healed
nicetomeetyou_13: my friend has seen someones leg grow b4 his eyes"
If I ever start making posts like "On the banning and partial banning of words!" then I view my life as less than worthless and I hope that my friends here would have a collection to pay for ninjas to be sent to my home to kill me*. (*=humanely)
Paul Almond

Name: Paul Almond
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Gawdzilla » May 05, 2010 10:41 pm

Paul Almond wrote:""nicetomeetyou_13: amputees have being healed

The middle one, I presume?
Chief Engineer on the Derail Express.

Geoff wrote:Not that I've anything against paedophilia, but it does leave one open to accusations of catholicism...

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Paul Almond » May 05, 2010 10:54 pm

"NormL75: yes....I heard of a young man, at a church camp, and he actually had his leg grow back, after he was prayed for........which I know is crazy, but it's true!"
If I ever start making posts like "On the banning and partial banning of words!" then I view my life as less than worthless and I hope that my friends here would have a collection to pay for ninjas to be sent to my home to kill me*. (*=humanely)
Paul Almond

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Gawdzilla » May 05, 2010 10:58 pm

Paul Almond wrote:"NormL75: yes....I heard of a young man, at a church camp, and he actually had his leg grow back, after he was prayed for........which I know is crazy, but it's true!"

They had to add that to the "Lying for Jebus Manual", they couldn't stand to see such an obvious fatal flaw to their beliefs not covered by the LJM. (Only found in the 2,573rd edition and later.)
Chief Engineer on the Derail Express.

Geoff wrote:Not that I've anything against paedophilia, but it does leave one open to accusations of catholicism...

This space for rent.
Gawdzilla

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Paul Almond » May 05, 2010 11:05 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Paul Almond wrote:"NormL75: yes....I heard of a young man, at a church camp, and he actually had his leg grow back, after he was prayed for........which I know is crazy, but it's true!"

They had to add that to the "Lying for Jebus Manual", they couldn't stand to see such an obvious fatal flaw to their beliefs not covered by the LJM. (Only found in the 2,573rd edition and later.)

I do wonder how much self-deception might be involved.
Paul Almond

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#95  Postby Varangian » May 05, 2010 11:55 pm

Paul Almond wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

I do wonder how much self-deception might be involved.

Leg-end-ary amounts.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby blasphemer_number1 » May 06, 2010 5:18 am

http://www.standfirminfaith.com/?/sf/page/25940

Edit: The author mounts an ad-hominem style attack criticizing the original source for not citing scripture for why god offers the guarantee of granting every prayer. I have seen other sources that provide exactly such scriptural references (I'm pressed for time right now, but I will provide if anyone cares to call me on it). As his defense, he calls the other out as ignorant of scripture when it is his own ignorance of scripture that weakens his argument and illustrates his bigotry. I provided the link so you people could check out how at least one believer and a few blog at-a-boy responders defend the "no credible record of god ever restoring an amputee's limbs" argument.
Last edited by blasphemer_number1 on May 06, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
blasphemer_number1

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#97  Postby IBP » May 06, 2010 9:21 am

Don't get me started on that. Charlatanry of the highest order, and highly damaging to Christianity, in my opinion.
IBP

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#98  Postby CookieJon » May 06, 2010 10:07 am

IBP wrote: highly damaging to Christianity, in my opinion.

Nah, not particularly.
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#99  Postby virphen » May 06, 2010 10:12 am

IBP wrote:
Don't get me started on that. Charlatanry of the highest order, and highly damaging to Christianity, in my opinion.

That phrase is actually ideal to describe Christianity
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#100  Postby katja z » May 06, 2010 10:35 am

virphen wrote:
IBP wrote:

That phrase is actually ideal to describe Christianity

Let's not lose all sense of proportion. It's an ideal phrase to describe some flavours of Christianity (along with all other religious fundamentalisms), that much I agree with. For other varieties, it's fair to leave out the "of the highest order" bit. :mrgreen:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism