What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#241  Postby ADParker » May 05, 2013 11:04 pm

scott1328 wrote:This seemed like as good a place as any to post this

PZ Myers : I wii no longer consider myself a "skeptic"

Point of note: PZ is technically a member here (even his he hasn't posted in 2 years) so the FUA still applies to him.

He's acting like a complete asshat there though. So he sees what he considers (rightly or wrongly, doesn't matter) some abuses of skepticism by those who claim to be skeptics, and rather than continue to argue the case that they are in error, and failing to apply skepticism (or apply it correctly/consistently) he just gives up and declares that he's not a skeptic any more?!

Does he not realize that sounds as batty as those few who have gotten angry at certain atheistic groups/ideas and declared that they are turning to Christianity as some kind of rebuke? :roll: (I recall for example some anti-semitic nutter running for some kind of political office who did this when the rest of the 'atheist community' turned on him for his holocaust denial etc. ah: Larry Darby of the Atheist Law Center, that's the guy!)
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Name: Andrew
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#242  Postby Scar » May 06, 2013 12:06 pm

ADParker wrote:
scott1328 wrote:This seemed like as good a place as any to post this

PZ Myers : I wii no longer consider myself a "skeptic"

Point of note: PZ is technically a member here (even his he hasn't posted in 2 years) so the FUA still applies to him.

He's acting like a complete asshat there though. So he sees what he considers (rightly or wrongly, doesn't matter) some abuses of skepticism by those who claim to be skeptics, and rather than continue to argue the case that they are in error, and failing to apply skepticism (or apply it correctly/consistently) he just gives up and declares that he's not a skeptic any more?!

Does he not realize that sounds as batty as those few who have gotten angry at certain atheistic groups/ideas and declared that they are turning to Christianity as some kind of rebuke? :roll: (I recall for example some anti-semitic nutter running for some kind of political office who did this when the rest of the 'atheist community' turned on him for his holocaust denial etc. ah: Larry Darby of the Atheist Law Center, that's the guy!)

For him to realize that would require him to be skeptical in the first place. But he isn't. Officially, now, too.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#243  Postby Animavore » May 25, 2014 8:22 am

This thread never really took off.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#244  Postby redwhine » May 25, 2014 9:59 am

Animavore wrote:This thread never really took off.

Unlike these...

...bats.
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#245  Postby patient zero » May 26, 2014 4:51 am

Animavore wrote:This thread never really took off.

We could always fill it up with S.E. Cupp pro-religion quotes (though that may not be the type of quotes from atheists the OP was looking for :grin: )
Calilasseia wrote:...WHY DO PROFESSIONAL PROPAGANDISTS FOR CREATIONISM HAVE TO LIE FOR THEIR DOCTRINE?
patient zero

Male

Print view this post

#246  Postby scott1328 » Mar 05, 2018 10:49 pm

From the Good bits of christianity thread

ETA: Of course this is based upon my own personal experience
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#247  Postby laklak » Mar 08, 2018 4:22 am

Probably the battiest thing I ever heard an atheist say was "The whiskery humdrums are on the wall". That was my dad, coming out of general anesthetic. He was looking at the fuzzy slippers on his feet.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#248  Postby Moonwatcher » Mar 25, 2018 7:06 pm

The battiest thing I've ever seen from an atheist is that there is any use to trying to reason with a religious person with rationality and evidence.
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#249  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 26, 2018 6:10 pm

Moonwatcher wrote:The battiest thing I've ever seen from an atheist is that there is any use to trying to reason with a religious person with rationality and evidence.

It worked here with Willhud. :)
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#250  Postby Moonwatcher » Mar 27, 2018 4:33 am

Calilasseia wrote:
Moonwatcher wrote:The battiest thing I've ever seen from an atheist is that there is any use to trying to reason with a religious person with rationality and evidence.

It worked here with Willhud. :)

That's true. On the rare occasion that someone is facing evidence rather than denying it, it can work.
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#251  Postby felltoearth » Mar 27, 2018 12:25 pm

And while I want to see more of “the goods” it seems John Platko has been having second thoughts.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#252  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 29, 2018 9:55 pm

This comes pretty close:
http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=1437

The reason Craig wins all his debates with atheists is not because his arguments are sound, but because he is a masterful debater. Craig has been honing his debate skills literally since high school. Not only that, but he is a Ph.D. philosopher and encyclopedic historian: an expert on the two subjects he debates, the existence of God and the resurrection of Jesus.

Let me repeat. Craig has done 20+ years of Ph.D+ level research in the two fields he debates, has published hundreds of academic books and papers on both subjects, and has been debating since high school.

So yeah, that’s right. You are not qualified to debate William Lane Craig. Richard Carrier? Austin Dacey? Quentin Smith? Bart Ehrman? You are not qualified to debate William Lane Craig. Louise Antony? Christopher Hitchens? Eddie Tabash? You are not qualified to debate William Lane Craig. Frank Zindler? Gerd Ludermann? Hector Avalos? You are not qualified to debate William Lane Craig.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#253  Postby Animavore » Mar 29, 2018 11:46 pm

Bart Ehrman is over qualified.

No mention of Sean Carroll, who handed his ass to him, or John Loftus or Jeffrey Lowder, who he refuses to debate?

Also, what research has he done in inflationary cosmology?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#254  Postby laklak » Mar 30, 2018 3:32 am

There isn't a debate. There's no evidence for the existence of god, evolution it true, creationism and ID are bullshit. Craig can dress up his steaming pile of shit in whatever clothes he chooses, it's still a steaming pile of shit. Anyone who would be convinced by his arguments isn't worth bothering with in the first place.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#255  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 30, 2018 7:45 am

Animavore wrote:Bart Ehrman is over qualified.

No mention of Sean Carroll, who handed his ass to him, or John Loftus or Jeffrey Lowder, who he refuses to debate?

Also, what research has he done in inflationary cosmology?

Actuall he does mention Loftus at one point.
My big issue with his whole post is that he confuses winning a structured debate with winning the discussion on issues of religion.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#256  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 30, 2018 7:46 am

laklak wrote:There isn't a debate.

Thing is that debates aren't about learning or discovering the truth.
They're about winning, through any means (including tricks, cheats and fallacies) possible.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#257  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 30, 2018 10:07 am

I was in the school's debating society and that is very true. You lay traps for your opponents.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#258  Postby TopCat » Apr 01, 2018 7:34 pm

laklak wrote:There isn't a debate. There's no evidence for the existence of god, evolution it true, creationism and ID are bullshit. Craig can dress up his steaming pile of shit in whatever clothes he chooses, it's still a steaming pile of shit.

I hate this sort of virtue-signalling.

Even though it's true, it's worthless, as the only people who will agree with it are people who are already convinced.

If there's any value in engaging with the WLCs of this world - and if Sean Carroll thinks it's worthwhile going up against him, that's good enough for me - then it needs to be a quality engagement. Not this sort of name-calling crap, nor the ill-prepared feeble attempts that end up with WLC's doubtless somewhat smug victories.

Anyone who would be convinced by his arguments isn't worth bothering with in the first place.

And I very much disagree with this, and despise the contempt it reveals. I have a very old and good friend, who sadly has not yet found his way out of Christianity. And not surprisingly, as he has a lot invested in it all. But he's still a good friend, a seeker after truth, albeit a hamstrung one, and in my not so humble opinion, he damn well is worth it.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#259  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 02, 2018 8:42 am

We dont have to prove anything or respect anything a theist states. They have to produce the evidence of any existence. I have no time for people who cant think. I totally agree with laklak. I dont have to engage with anyone and I just ignore them. They have to engage with good solid evidence.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#260  Postby TopCat » Apr 02, 2018 9:30 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:We dont have to prove anything or respect anything a theist states. They have to produce the evidence of any existence. I have no time for people who cant think. I totally agree with laklak. I dont have to engage with anyone and I just ignore them. They have to engage with good solid evidence.

Thanks for confirming that you're exactly the sort of person that should not engage with theists.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism