What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#1  Postby jamest » Mar 26, 2013 3:51 pm

Time for us theists to extract some humorous revenge, I think, for some of the nonsense being said in the other thread. The shysters keep quoting me out of context and stuff, and are making me look like a mug. Okay, I'll start the ball rolling and will be looking keenly to add to the list...

lobawad wrote:
Our knowledge of the world is a map of the world, not because we observe the world, but because the world observes us. We do not observe nor are we privy to internal states, nay, our knowledge of the world is what we are. There are knowledges of the world, and these knowledges, or the consequences, the active knowings, the living discourses, of these knowledges are what we call sentient entities, among whom we each find "us".

Is that the biggest load of gibberish bollocks I've ever heard? Very probably. :grin:
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18367
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#2  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 26, 2013 4:00 pm

jamest wrote:Time for us theists to extract some humorous revenge, I think, for some of the nonsense being said in the other thread. The shysters keep quoting me out of context and stuff, and are making me look like a mug.

There's an easier way to get revenge for that: show how those quotes are out of context 'and stuff'.
The fact that you haven't is quite telling.

jamest wrote:Okay, I'll start the ball rolling and will be looking keenly to add to the list...

lobawad wrote:
Our knowledge of the world is a map of the world, not because we observe the world, but because the world observes us. We do not observe nor are we privy to internal states, nay, our knowledge of the world is what we are. There are knowledges of the world, and these knowledges, or the consequences, the active knowings, the living discourses, of these knowledges are what we call sentient entities, among whom we each find "us".

Is that the biggest load of gibberish bollocks I've ever heard? Very probably. :grin:

:roll:
You know this will only sound batty to people who adhere to your idealism?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 30761
Age: 30
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#3  Postby jamest » Mar 26, 2013 4:03 pm

Here's another classic. Sorry lobowad, it's not my intention to just pick on you...

lobawad wrote:
epete wrote: We can't maintain a credible position against woo-heads if we can't logically defend our own beliefs.


"Credible position"? You assume "belief". You've already lost to "woo-heads".

The active, the creators, those who DO stuff that works, have zero obligation to "defend" against the passive, the consumers, those who do nothing that works.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18367
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#4  Postby jamest » Mar 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
jamest wrote:
lobawad wrote:
Our knowledge of the world is a map of the world, not because we observe the world, but because the world observes us. We do not observe nor are we privy to internal states, nay, our knowledge of the world is what we are. There are knowledges of the world, and these knowledges, or the consequences, the active knowings, the living discourses, of these knowledges are what we call sentient entities, among whom we each find "us".

Is that the biggest load of gibberish bollocks I've ever heard? Very probably. :grin:

:roll:
You know this will only sound batty to people who adhere to your idealism?

No, it's a gibbering mess. Utterly batty.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18367
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#5  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 26, 2013 4:11 pm

jamest wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
jamest wrote:
lobawad wrote:
Our knowledge of the world is a map of the world, not because we observe the world, but because the world observes us. We do not observe nor are we privy to internal states, nay, our knowledge of the world is what we are. There are knowledges of the world, and these knowledges, or the consequences, the active knowings, the living discourses, of these knowledges are what we call sentient entities, among whom we each find "us".

Is that the biggest load of gibberish bollocks I've ever heard? Very probably. :grin:

:roll:
You know this will only sound batty to people who adhere to your idealism?

No, it's a gibbering mess. Utterly batty.

Why? There's nothing gibberish about it. lobawad is stating in correct English that he considers your OP to be gibberish and bullocks.
Just because you don't like that, doesn't make it batty.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 30761
Age: 30
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#6  Postby jamest » Mar 26, 2013 4:16 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Why? There's nothing gibberish about it. lobawad is stating in correct English that he considers your OP to be gibberish and bullocks.
Just because you don't like that, doesn't make it batty.

I'll tell you what Thomas. If you're so keen to defend that nonsense and explain what it means, I challenge you to go through each and every sentence of it for me and my fellow members here. It won't take you long, as it's just a short paragraph.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18367
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#7  Postby JoeB » Mar 26, 2013 4:20 pm

They may be jibberish, but how are they atheist jibberish? :dunno:
User avatar
JoeB
RS Donator
 
Name: Johan
Posts: 1463
Age: 33
Male

Country: European Union (NL)
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#8  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 26, 2013 4:20 pm

jamest wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Why? There's nothing gibberish about it. lobawad is stating in correct English that he considers your OP to be gibberish and bullocks.
Just because you don't like that, doesn't make it batty.

I'll tell you what Thomas. If you're so keen to defend that nonsense and explain what it means,

What part of Iobawad did you not understand? It's plain English.
jamest wrote:I challenge you to go through each and every sentence of it for me and my fellow members here. It won't take you long, as it's just a short paragraph.

I already explained his post to you.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 30761
Age: 30
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#9  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 26, 2013 4:21 pm

JoeB wrote:They may be jibberish, but how are they atheist jibberish? :dunno:

:this: 2
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 30761
Age: 30
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#10  Postby jamest » Mar 26, 2013 4:24 pm

Here's another, just to keep the ball rolling.

SpeedOfSound wrote:SO. Where is my mind? What empirical evidence do we have that it is located anywhere that we can point to?

SOS, proving that minds don't exist because we can't see them.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18367
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#11  Postby jamest » Mar 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
jamest wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Why? There's nothing gibberish about it. lobawad is stating in correct English that he considers your OP to be gibberish and bullocks.
Just because you don't like that, doesn't make it batty.

I'll tell you what Thomas. If you're so keen to defend that nonsense and explain what it means,

What part of Iobawad did you not understand? It's plain English.

Okay, so you think that the following is coherent:

Our knowledge of the world is a map of the world... because the world observes us.

We do not observe nor are we privy to internal states.

... our knowledge of the world is what we are.


The world observes us? We are not privy to any internal states? Yet we have knowledge? This knowledge is us?

C'mon, you cannot be fucking serious? However, please feel free to make the theists/idealists laugh. That's what this thread is all about.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18367
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#12  Postby jamest » Mar 26, 2013 4:33 pm

JoeB wrote:They may be jibberish, but how are they atheist jibberish? :dunno:

It's supposedly a counter to [my] idealism, therefore a counter to theism. Therefore, it's atheist nonsense.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 18367
Male

Country: England
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#13  Postby Animavore » Mar 26, 2013 4:40 pm

I'm surprised this thread wasn't created a long time ago. I even considered starting it myself but I thought it more appropriate a theist start it.

You guys are slow.


;)
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 43625
Age: 41
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#14  Postby Wiðercora » Mar 26, 2013 4:43 pm

I once had an atheist tell me that there are secret government colonies on Mars, and that Venusians live amongst us.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell


Infrequently updated photo blog.
User avatar
Wiðercora
 
Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Posts: 7079
Age: 30
Male

Country: The Grim North.
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#15  Postby chairman bill » Mar 26, 2013 4:58 pm

I once heard an atheist claim that theists might have a point.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
User avatar
chairman bill
RS Donator
 
Posts: 28176
Male

Country: UK: fucked since 2010
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#16  Postby Reeve » Mar 26, 2013 6:04 pm

I've heard some atheists say that they wished there was a god.
Cito wrote:Reeve is a daily reality for girls. I don't know what this implies.

archibald wrote:I don't take Reeve seriously. I don't think he takes himself seriously.
User avatar
Reeve
 
Posts: 2969
Age: 26
Male

Print view this post

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#17  Postby Animavore » Mar 26, 2013 6:07 pm

Reeve wrote:I've heard some atheists say that they wished there was a god.


They probably mean they wish there was an omnibenevolent god who would reduce suffering and bring peace at the snap of its fingers.

Not that they wish the god of the old testament exists. Jesus, if he existed then sign me up to Satan's army and overthrow this despotic prick!
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 43625
Age: 41
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#18  Postby Matt_B » Mar 26, 2013 6:10 pm

Given that most Raelians and Scientologists are atheists, this thread could go far...
User avatar
Matt_B
 
Posts: 4615
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#19  Postby chairman bill » Mar 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Reeve wrote:I've heard some atheists say that they wished there was a god.


Medbh of the Welcoming Thighs <swoon> - my kinda goddess
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
User avatar
chairman bill
RS Donator
 
Posts: 28176
Male

Country: UK: fucked since 2010
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: What's the battiest thing you ever heard an atheist say?

#20  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 26, 2013 6:13 pm

I have heard atheists say that if there was some deity with evidence of its existance he would be very happy bunny.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
 
Posts: 43118
Age: 71
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Theism

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest