"What we owe the new atheists"

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: "What we owe the new atheists"

#221  Postby Agrippina » Apr 28, 2014 7:15 am

John Platko wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
John Platko wrote:
proudfootz wrote:

The one that hears and answers prayers, acts in history, impregnates young girls, visits holy people with stigmata... the one Catholics worship.

Catholics merged that God with the philosophers God in the 13th century.

Bullshit, as long as people are taught to feel guilty about sex, and not allowed to use birth control, the mindset is still very much that of the pre-reformation world.

The catholic position on birth control comes directly from philosophical ideas. Specifically, the concept of final cause.

Bullshit, it comes from old men in white dresses with red satin sashes having power over womens' bodies. There is a thread about that. Join it if you feel inclined to.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#222  Postby John Platko » Apr 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Agrippina wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
John Platko wrote:

Catholics merged that God with the philosophers God in the 13th century.

Bullshit, as long as people are taught to feel guilty about sex, and not allowed to use birth control, the mindset is still very much that of the pre-reformation world.

The catholic position on birth control comes directly from philosophical ideas. Specifically, the concept of final cause.

Bullshit, it comes from old men in white dresses with red satin sashes having power over womens' bodies. There is a thread about that. Join it if you feel inclined to.

Perhaps in addition to your teachers not explaining to you when Catholic priests can have sex, they also didn't explain to you the ins and outs of final cause, which is central to the issues and calculations of Catholic immorality.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#223  Postby Fallible » Apr 28, 2014 12:41 pm

Final cause. Lol.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#224  Postby trubble76 » Apr 28, 2014 1:13 pm

John Platko wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

Perhaps in addition to your teachers not explaining to you when Catholic priests can have sex, they also didn't explain to you the ins and outs of final cause, which is central to the issues and calculations of Catholic immorality.

Final Cause has to be one the worst ideas that religion has dreamt up in all it's idiotic glory. Am I wrong? What might be the Final Cause of your mouth, for example?
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#225  Postby Agrippina » Apr 28, 2014 3:19 pm

Fallible wrote:Final cause. Lol.

Isn't it funny? Lost cause more likely. :grin:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#226  Postby Agrippina » Apr 28, 2014 3:21 pm

John Platko wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

You're quite right, the nuns didn't explain priests having sex with their charges to us, also not how the nuns were mostly there to satisfy the needs of the "father." :roll: This was in the dark ages before children were allowed to know what caused babies, and I suspect the nuns didn't know either.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#227  Postby John Platko » Apr 28, 2014 8:22 pm

trubble76 wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
John Platko wrote:

Final Cause has to be one the worst ideas that religion has dreamt up in all it's idiotic glory. Am I wrong?

I kind-of think you're wrong, unless you want to classify philosophy as a religion. It was the philosophers that dreamt up final cause. We Catholics have merely snarfed up a wonky idea and put it to good use reinforcing assorted prejudices.

What might be the Final Cause of your mouth, for example?
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#228  Postby Mick » Apr 28, 2014 9:37 pm

trubble76 wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
John Platko wrote:

Final Cause has to be one the worst ideas that religion has dreamt up in all it's idiotic glory. Am I wrong? What might be the Final Cause of your mouth, for example?

It is not a religious idea. It is an instance of Greek philosophy, particularly Aristotle.
Christ said, "I am the Truth"; he did not say "I am the custom." -- St. Toribio
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#229  Postby Mick » Apr 28, 2014 9:38 pm

Agrippina wrote:

Yet, without it, efficient causation becomes remarkably mysterious. Ask Hume.
Christ said, "I am the Truth"; he did not say "I am the custom." -- St. Toribio
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#230  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 28, 2014 9:42 pm

The pond of despair is drying up.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#231  Postby Fallible » Apr 28, 2014 9:42 pm

Mick wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

Yet, without it, fim fam booblebop.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#232  Postby Scar » Apr 28, 2014 10:37 pm

Mick wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

People have been over this piece of idiotic apologetics wibble with you many times. It's getting boring.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#233  Postby trubble76 » Apr 29, 2014 8:39 am

John Platko wrote:
trubble76 wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

Final Cause has to be one the worst ideas that religion has dreamt up in all it's idiotic glory. Am I wrong?

I kind-of think you're wrong, unless you want to classify philosophy as a religion. It was the philosophers that dreamt up final cause. We Catholics have merely snarfed up a wonky idea and put it to good use reinforcing assorted prejudices.

Okay, thanks for the correction. I should have said "Final Cause has to be one the worst ideas that has ever been seized upon by religion. Am I wrong?"

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#234  Postby trubble76 » Apr 29, 2014 8:42 am

Mick wrote:
trubble76 wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

It is not a religious idea. It is an instance of Greek philosophy, particularly Aristotle.

Yes, thanks for repeating the correction. I should have said "Final Cause has to be one the worst ideas that has ever been seized upon by religion. Am I wrong?"

trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#235  Postby John Platko » Apr 29, 2014 12:50 pm

trubble76 wrote:
John Platko wrote:
trubble76 wrote:
John Platko wrote:

Okay, thanks for the correction. I should have said "Final Cause has to be one the worst ideas that has ever been seized upon by religion. Am I wrong?"

I wouldn't say you're wrong, but trying to pick the worst religious idea is a bit like trying to pick the ugliest face at a blobfish convention.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#236  Postby Sendraks » Apr 29, 2014 1:06 pm

John Platko wrote:
I wouldn't say you're wrong, but trying to pick the worst religious idea is a bit like trying to pick the ugliest face at a blobfish convention.

Bit harsh on the blobfish, making them analogous to religion.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#237  Postby Agrippina » Apr 29, 2014 1:25 pm

Sendraks wrote:
John Platko wrote:

Indeed, and at least they are real. :grin:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#238  Postby John Platko » Apr 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Sendraks wrote:
John Platko wrote:

I think that would depend on who they were in their past lives.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#239  Postby Sendraks » Apr 29, 2014 2:10 pm

John Platko wrote:
Sendraks wrote:
John Platko wrote:

I think that would depend on who they were in their past lives.

If one wishes to entertain such an unsubstantiated notion. However, charming or amusing the idea might be.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Theism