Who Made God?

The ultimate question?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Who Made God?

#241  Postby Shrunk » Oct 26, 2016 5:13 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
Now, a follow up: Would the Pythagorean Theorem still hold in the absence of two dimensional space? That is to say: If only one dimensional space, or no space at, all existed (e.g. if all that existed was an immaterial god who transcended time and space and who had decided not to create any universe at all), would the Pythagoren Theorem no longer hold true? Would it then be possible that, in a two (or more) dimensional universe, one could draw a right angle triangle that did not obey the theorem?

As long as at least two dimensions exist, Pythagoras' theorem holds true. As long as mass and light exists, e=mc2 holds true.

You didn't answer the questions. Try again. :coffee:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#242  Postby scott1328 » Oct 26, 2016 5:40 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
Now, a follow up: Would the Pythagorean Theorem still hold in the absence of two dimensional space? That is to say: If only one dimensional space, or no space at, all existed (e.g. if all that existed was an immaterial god who transcended time and space and who had decided not to create any universe at all), would the Pythagoren Theorem no longer hold true? Would it then be possible that, in a two (or more) dimensional universe, one could draw a right angle triangle that did not obey the theorem?

As long as at least two dimensions exist, Pythagoras' theorem holds true. As long as mass and light exists, e=mc2 holds true.

False and false.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#243  Postby scott1328 » Oct 27, 2016 4:24 am

The surface of a sphere is two dimensional and the Pythagorean theorem does not hold. in fact, if our space-time is non Euclidean then the Pythagorean theorem is only an approximation of how our universe works.

Therefore is no logically necessary reason that I am aware of that in our universe mass and energy must be equivalent, or given their equivalence, that the speed of light be finite, or constant, or that the relationship between the two be a simple linear relation, or that the proportionality constant have the speed of light as a term.
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#244  Postby Shrunk » Oct 27, 2016 10:15 am

scott1328 wrote:The surface of a sphere is two dimensional and the Pythagorean theorem does not hold. in fact, if our space-time is non Euclidean then the Pythagorean theorem is only an approximation of how our universe works.

And, even if that were the case, it would nonetheless remain true that, within a Euclidean system, the Pythagorean theorem holds. This is the case even if no Euclidean universe physically exists. So "Wortfish" has managed the impressive feat of being wrong in at least two different ways with a single statement. :clap:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#245  Postby Wilbur » Nov 06, 2016 5:01 am

zulumoose wrote:
[Who Made God?]
Am I on a winner here?

You haven't confounded theism or anything but I'm sure most around here think it's a fine little zinger.
baby hatred.
Wilbur
Banned Troll

United States (us)
Print view this post

#246  Postby Spinozasgalt » Nov 06, 2016 9:17 am

I've confounded theism.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#247  Postby Fallible » Nov 07, 2016 8:28 am

In the fundament?
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#248  Postby Dark energy » Feb 04, 2017 12:58 am

God is mystery,but we can observe his ultimate grandeur through observations about the vast cosmos,the nebulea and supernoves which are his creations.we only describe GOD as he wishes to be described.

simple
Say: He, Allah is One.
Allah is He on Whom all depend.
He begets not, nor is He begotten;
And none is like Him.

so,when we meet him from person person on the next life that is when the biggest mystery will be revealed,The Glory of GOD.
And."
Dark energy

Name: dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#249  Postby LucidFlight » Feb 04, 2017 2:46 am

God is probably made in Shenzhen these days.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Gary Spivey
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#250  Postby scott1328 » Feb 04, 2017 7:01 am

Dark energy wrote:God is mystery,but we can observe his ultimate grandeur through observations about the vast cosmos,the nebulea and supernoves which are his creations.we only describe GOD as he wishes to be described.

simple
And none is like Him.

so,when we meet him from person person on the next life that is when the biggest mystery will be revealed,The Glory of GOD.

And he sanctions the rape of children and the murder of innocents. Allahu Akbar
scott1328

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#251  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 04, 2017 8:28 am

Dark energy wrote:God is mystery,but we can observe his ultimate grandeur through observations about the vast cosmos,the nebulea and supernoves which are his creations.we only describe GOD as he wishes to be described.

simple
And none is like Him.

Just to nip this in the butt, are you here to discuss, or just to preach?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#252  Postby Dark energy » Feb 04, 2017 8:41 am

i hate preaching someone.
And."
Dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#253  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 04, 2017 8:44 am

Dark energy wrote:i hate preaching someone.

Yet, that is exactly what you did in the post I responded to.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#254  Postby Dark energy » Feb 04, 2017 8:59 am

ok.it didnt seem like that to me.
And."
Dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#255  Postby zulumoose » Feb 04, 2017 10:36 am

You made a whole bunch of assertions, made predictions and even gave instructions, all from the perspective of a faith based believer addressing a student, it couldn't be more preachy if you tried.

Do you have any rational basis at all for these beliefs, because if you do it might be interesting, if you don't then is your faith not mindless?
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#256  Postby Fallible » Feb 04, 2017 8:17 pm

simple
And none is like Him.

How do you think God came by the complexity required to create ultimate grandeur, Dark energy? Did he just pop into existence like that, did something else make him like that or has he always existed like that?
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#257  Postby Agrippina » Feb 05, 2017 8:34 am

zulumoose wrote:You made a whole bunch of assertions, made predictions and even gave instructions, all from the perspective of a faith based believer addressing a student, it couldn't be more preachy if you tried.

Do you have any rational basis at all for these beliefs, because if you do it might be interesting, if you don't then is your faith not mindless?

Who are you talking to? This post is confusing.
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#258  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 05, 2017 9:08 am

Agrippina wrote:
zulumoose wrote:You made a whole bunch of assertions, made predictions and even gave instructions, all from the perspective of a faith based believer addressing a student, it couldn't be more preachy if you tried.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=53232&p=2522610#p2522610
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/general-faith/who-made-god-t53232-240.html#p2522744
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/general-faith/who-made-god-t53232-240.html#p2522749
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#259  Postby Agrippina » Feb 05, 2017 9:54 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=53232&p=2522610#p2522610
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/general-faith/who-made-god-t53232-240.html#p2522744
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/general-faith/who-made-god-t53232-240.html#p2522749

OK thanks. If this isn't preaching then I don't know how to recognise it. Missed it in my initial read-through.

God is mystery,but we can observe his ultimate grandeur through observations about the vast cosmos,the nebulea and supernoves which are his creations.we only describe GOD as he wishes to be described.

simple
And none is like Him.

The people who created "God" and who believe in him, they have a really good idea here. No one ever returns from death to destroy their argument about living after death, so they just believe it, die, then can't regret the waste of their lives because, well, they're just dead, like they were before they were born.

http://ew.com/article/2016/05/05/game-thrones-jon-snow-changes/
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#260  Postby archibald » Feb 05, 2017 10:11 am

Dark energy wrote:so,when we meet him from person person on the next life that is when the biggest mystery will be revealed.

A vagina?
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism