Why are you a theist?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Why are you a theist?

#2461  Postby John Platko » Nov 20, 2013 10:06 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
John Platko wrote:My definition is as intellectually sound as the definition for any pseudo random number generator. But one needs the prerequisite intellectual background to understand the definitions of either. The ability to make the connection between both definitions, I'm afraid is not something that can be taught, it is a skill to be developed.

This has Poe written all over it, John. I appreciate the joke.

I worked hard for that moment, I hope it lasted a bit. :lol:
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2462  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 20, 2013 10:10 pm

John Platko wrote:In Christianity there is no concept of plagiarized RE (our founder was fond of sharing such RE)

My parents did not insist on a religious indoctrination for me. I find people like you fascinating in a 'there but for the grace of nothing, go I'. I caught a lucky break for which I have no one to thank.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#2463  Postby Matthew Shute » Nov 20, 2013 10:23 pm

Regina wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Get this if nothing else.
You have not done any mathematics. Constructing an argument with abreveations into an deductive argument =/=mathematics.

Thomas, I realize that this is quite hard to grasp, but John has done mathematics. It's just that he defines maths the way he sees fit, just the way he does with language.

It must be called "the jamest gambit". Whatever it's called, it can be effective if the aim is to evoke mirth in a few secptical onlookers, cause annoyance in others, and inspire a kind of bemused contempt in others still. It's all a long-winded way of defining a group of words and symbols as an intellectually respectable defense of theism, in the face of incredulity. For it to get a free pass, the incredulous would have to be very credulous indeed; therein lies a not-insignificant flaw.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#2464  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 20, 2013 11:50 pm

John Platko wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
John Platko wrote:
MrFungus420 wrote:

Okay, let's try another tack.

Element e (evidence) belongs to the set of ALL_BE (all bigfoot evidence), which consists of all BE, if e is deemed to be BE by any person claiming to or considered to believe in bigfoot.

Element e (evidence) belongs to the set of ALL_AE (all astrological evidence), which consists of all AE, if e is deemed to be AE by any person claiming to or considered to believe in astrology.

Element e (evidence) belongs to the set of ALL_AAE (all alien abduction evidence), which consists of all AAE, if e is deemed to be AAE by any person claiming to or considered to have been abducted by aliens.

Great, you've got the hang of it. Now would you like to take a crack of defining Evidence, emperical evidence, and scientific emperical evidence or shall I?

FFS John, these definitions have already been provided and explained to you.
Stop with this pathetic attempt to pretend they haven't. It's lying about the posts of other members which is against the FUA.

I'll give you another chance to make good on this claim. Please provide the comment number (that means don't cut and paste the comment, I want the comment number so I can read whatever was posted in context) next to the terms to be defined. Then I'll analyze the truthfulness of your claim and analyze the validity of the definitions.

evidence #?
empirical evidence #?
scientific empirical evidence #?
peer review #?

The only saving grace about this is I may actually eventually learn to spell empirical!

Are you going for suicide by FUA violation now?
I already told you, you can click on "wrote" in the individual quotes I previously posted and will be taken to original post.
There is no need for me to comply with your abitrary and pathetic attempts at evasion.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2465  Postby lyingcheat » Nov 21, 2013 2:26 am

John Platko wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
John Platko wrote:
lyingcheat wrote:

This ^^^ definition is circular. It's a, no doubt typically, meaningless example of itself asserted by someone who fits the definition.

Though I note it would also allow every bizarre delusion ever uttered by any psychotic in the grip of devout religious mania to be considered 'religious evidence', regardless of the apparent theme.

Too too silly.

Absurd, what is circular? All I did is define terms, I haven't used them in an argument yet. I.e. There's no argument to be circular!

You have worse problems than that. You're basically defining a term to be the term that people use when they use that term. That's pretty circular right there; worse yet, you've supplied no further documentation that the set of people who actually use the term as you define it is not an empty set. If you use it yourself, more power to you.

I invite you to examine the ample evidence of what is and is not RE accumulated through the centuries and if you can demonstrate that my definition is flawed I'll be happy to correct my error. Till that time, it stands uncontested.

(my emphasis)
I already did.
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/gener ... l#p1856903

Your self-referential 'definition' of 'religious evidence' produced a tissue of lies entirely unrelated to reality.
I await your correction.
> Insert Witty Signature Phrase Here <
lyingcheat

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2466  Postby Matthew Shute » Nov 21, 2013 2:33 am

Before anyone wastes any more words replying to John Platko:

John Platko wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
John Platko wrote:My definition is as intellectually sound as the definition for any pseudo random number generator. But one needs the prerequisite intellectual background to understand the definitions of either. The ability to make the connection between both definitions, I'm afraid is not something that can be taught, it is a skill to be developed.

This has Poe written all over it, John. I appreciate the joke.

I worked hard for that moment, I hope it lasted a bit. :lol:
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#2467  Postby angelo » Nov 21, 2013 6:16 am

John Platko wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
John Platko wrote:I''ve examined the evidence, written evidence even, describing HOW religious accumulate religious evidence and described that mathematically. Now to show that I'm wrong, what you need to do is to provide at least one example of religious evidence that demonstrates an error in my math. So where's your evidence? I don't think you'll come up with any- just like you failed to provide definitions for: evidence, empirical evidence, peer review, etc. but stay tuned, I'll define those mathematically too, same bat station, same bat way ....

Who the fuck would be fool enough to try to show you you're 'wrong'? You conflate a lack of falsifiability with truth. Convincing you that you're wrong might be useful in getting you to shut the fuck up and go home, but you simply have no standards by which you could admit being wrong. For you, religious evidence is whatever anyone says is religious evidence. You have not even managed to show that anyone else in the known universe has a concept of 'religious evidence', let alone this particular one, and you're using it to try to speak for people who are not involved in this conversation, and who may not exist at all.

John Platko wrote:
It's impossible to do a double blind study with controls when you only have 1 patient.

What an oafish mistake about what is and is not scientific, John. One of a kind events cannot be studied scientifically. If there is only one locality where a fossil is found, you have to be able to tell people where to find it. If you take the only sample, you're going to have trouble publishing. That's what the Piltdown Man was about. Another name for that is 'fraud'.

Ummmm, what an oafish mistake. It seems you have been comparing apples to oranges. But I was clear, peer reviewed empirical evidence is accumulated and factored into the judgement of what does and does not go into the Catholic Churches set of approved miracles at Lourdes. It's really not that complicated.

John, you have heard of the James Randi Org million dollar challenge haven't you? Get the catolic church's so called peer reviewed miracles and have them tested by science and claim the million dollars. Gawd knows, the catolic church could do with the money. :lol:
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2468  Postby Blip » Nov 21, 2013 6:17 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Locked for review of multiple reports. I'll attempt to reopen as soon as possible.

ETA re-opened for business.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#2469  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 22, 2013 3:49 pm

Matthew Shute wrote:It's all a long-winded way of defining a group of words and symbols as an intellectually respectable defense of theism, in the face of incredulity.

No matter the jocularity (or otherwise) it's guaranteed a response in this environment, taken seriously or otherwise.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#2470  Postby angelo » Nov 24, 2013 8:40 am

Defending theism is defending the indefensible. Or better still. The burden of proof is as fas as I know still with the claimant.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2471  Postby michael^3 » Nov 24, 2013 9:28 am

When I say that I'm a theist because i enjoy being a theist, can't see much "burden of proof" there.
Happy the man who delights in God's law and meditates on it day and night.
michael^3

Print view this post

#2472  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 24, 2013 9:31 am

Nope. So long as you don't expect that reason to convince others of the veracity of your belief.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2473  Postby mindhack » Nov 24, 2013 9:34 am

angelo wrote:Defending theism is defending the indefensible. Or better still. The burden of proof is as fas as I know still with the claimant.

Dishonest atheist slander. God is succesfully defended all the time. Why else are there so many theists, huh?

;)
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#2474  Postby michael^3 » Nov 24, 2013 9:35 am

angelo wrote:John, you have heard of the James Randi Org million dollar challenge haven't you? Get the catolic church's so called peer reviewed miracles and have them tested by science and claim the million dollars. Gawd knows, the catolic church could do with the money. :lol:

Miracles cannot exist in science, by definition. If some peer reviewed comes to the conclusion that there was an inexplicable case of healing of disease X, they will simply conclude "in 0.01% of cases we observe a spontaneous healing of disease X", and from that day on your miracle is officially science. Then we can all yawn a bit and move on.
michael^3

Print view this post

#2475  Postby angelo » Nov 24, 2013 9:37 am

mindhack wrote:
angelo wrote:Defending theism is defending the indefensible. Or better still. The burden of proof is as fas as I know still with the claimant.

Dishonest atheist slander. God is succesfully defended all the time. Why else are there so many theists, huh?

;)

"Successfully defended" ? Not here or anywhere else for that matter.

Coca Cola is the worlds biggest selling drink, but is it the best?
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2476  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 24, 2013 9:40 am

michael^3 wrote:
angelo wrote:John, you have heard of the James Randi Org million dollar challenge haven't you? Get the catolic church's so called peer reviewed miracles and have them tested by science and claim the million dollars. Gawd knows, the catolic church could do with the money. :lol:

Miracles cannot exist in science, by definition. If some peer reviewed comes to the conclusion that there was an inexplicable case of healing of disease X, they will simply conclude "in 0.01% of cases we observe a spontaneous healing of disease X", and from that day on your miracle is officially science. Then we can all yawn a bit and move on.

You cannot make 'supernatural' (or 'miraculous') synonymous with 'not explained yet'. So, actually, we move on before you do. I can compare 'supernaturalism' to 'throwing in the towel', for example. When you give yourself up to faith, you give up.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Nov 24, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#2477  Postby michael^3 » Nov 24, 2013 9:43 am

Cito di Pense wrote:You cannot make 'supernatural' (or 'miraculous') synonymous with 'not explained yet'.

oh, really?

What exactly is the difference between miraculous and "not explained yet" ?
michael^3

Print view this post

#2478  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 24, 2013 9:44 am

michael^3 wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:You cannot make 'supernatural' (or 'miraculous') synonymous with 'not explained yet'.

oh, really?

What exactly is the difference between miraculous and "not explained yet" ?

You have to give your definition of 'miraculous' if you want to use the word. All I have to do is say something is not explained yet, and dare you to contradict me, by saying something other than that it's already explained.

Suppose you misplace your keys. Later you find them somewhere other than where you thought you put them. Someone moved them, and maybe it was you, and maybe not, because you're not living alone. Do you think finding your keys is a miracle?

I would not consider it a miracle, either, if michael^3 went from posting inane incoherent gibberish to posting well-reasoned essays. It would be unexplained, but not a miracle. Perhaps the incoherent gibberish was only trolling.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#2479  Postby mindhack » Nov 24, 2013 9:53 am

angelo wrote:
mindhack wrote:

;)

"Successfully defended" ? Not here or anywhere else for that matter.

You're free to think that, but, truth be told, God is immaterial so all your atheist worldview has to offer are red herrings and question begging about evidence. :evilgrin:
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#2480  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 24, 2013 11:13 am

michael^3 wrote:

Depends. If you use the definition of miracles as something merely being extremely likely to occur, then it can and does exist in science.
Problem is we're talking about the Christian variety of miracles which claim a God is responsible.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism