Why believing in god helps me

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Why believing in god helps me

#101  Postby cherries » Jan 19, 2011 12:55 am

fastonez wrote:
cherries wrote:
fastonez wrote:I'm not saying that you should believe in god, but for me, it helps me a lot in certain situations where I need to be strong. A lot of challenges in life can be handled with the right mindset and a belief in god is an example of a mindset which can be of benefit.

I wondered if other theists here (where are you?) could relate to that.

i haven't read the whole thread so i might have missed it but what exactly helps you to be strong?
is it that you think that god will help you,support you or that it will deal out justice when you are wronged?

I feel that god helps me to deal with stuff, and I also feel that god has a purpose for everything, which makes it easy to come to terms with stuff. Do I believe that god hands out justice? I suppose so, in a way.

i can understand that it would help to think that god has a purpose for things especially when situations are rather desperate but what if you really think about it,say take thousands of starving children/mass rapes and mutilations for example,what possible good that would weight up in the end could come out of that?
"Most books on witchcraft will tell you that witches work naked.
This is because most books on witchcraft were written by men."
-Terry Pratchett / Neil Gaiman

A theists for Conservation
cherries

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#102  Postby rEvolutionist » Jan 19, 2011 12:56 am

fastonez wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:
fastonez wrote:Rev, I've never taken the time to name it. You must be aware that there are many people who feel that there's a god yet don't subscribe to any religion where "god" is defined. I'm not a christian but I'm also not a troll. I was just answering your question.

Ok, this is good. Why didn't you just say this when people asked you this question the previous 20 times? So you are a Deist I suppose (is that correct? - I don't really do religion).

So one obvious question I have is what's up with this god and floods in Queensland Australia at the moment (actually a better example would be Christian Brazil where far more lives were lost)? Why is God fucking us all up like that? Does that sort of action from God bring you comfort?

What do you mean what's up with god and floods?

Sheesh man, conversing with you is like trying to draw blood from a stone. What do I mean about god and floods? Well, there's a whole heap of natural disasters going on all around the planet. Is God causing these? If he's not, then what exactly is he capable of that brings you such comfort?
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#103  Postby rEvolutionist » Jan 19, 2011 12:59 am

fastonez wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
fastonez wrote:
That's fair. But it's not that I'm unwilling, it's just that I don't really know where to start. Please don't confuse the two.

Doesn't it make you reflect though, that you are perfectly prepared to claim that you get comfort from believing in it, yet struggle to explain what 'it' is?

Well, it just means that I don't know where to start when it comes to defining it.

Which really means you don't know how it is that you receive comfort from your god. If you did, then you could explain it. You've had a few days now and a plethora of questions to give it a go, but you reply with nothing but single sentence answers. If you want a prosperous life around here, you're going to have to do better than this.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#104  Postby rEvolutionist » Jan 19, 2011 1:05 am

Lewis wrote:Mr.Samsa stated:

As far as I know, there is no difference between the benefits provided by each specific religion - they all increase lifespan, happiness, number of friends, as well as reducing the rate of depression and other mental disorders. You can find numerous articles on these findings in a number of psychology journals, they're very common. Most notably: Psychology of Religion and Spirituality.

Obviously the main point that these researchers raise is that it's not the case that there is something supernatural going on, it's not like their gods protect them from the bad things in life, but belonging to a religion naturally brings about a number of personality traits that shield us from developing mental disorders (they give us purpose in life, belief in ourselves, etc) and they also provide us with huge social support networks. These are the reasons why the religious live such better lives than the non-religious (on average), so whilst it's true that we can say "Oh but we can get those things without religion!, it seems to be the case that a lot of people can't. Religion is just like a cookie cutter approach to achieving stable mental health.

Whether what they believe is "true" or not is irrelevant.

I can’t agree more; plentiful medical research shows much the same. I ascribe most of the benefits touted to the fact that religionists are said to generally lead healthier, more stable family lifestyles; which begs the question as to which mode is the more rational, atheist or religionist.

I often suggest the problems us atheists suffer are due to living in a superstitious world. It does literally depress me that there is religious shit that effects me (most notably in social policy and law) that I can do absolutely nothing about, due to the influence religious superstition has over our societies.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#105  Postby rEvolutionist » Jan 19, 2011 1:05 am

fastonez wrote:
cherries wrote:
fastonez wrote:I'm not saying that you should believe in god, but for me, it helps me a lot in certain situations where I need to be strong. A lot of challenges in life can be handled with the right mindset and a belief in god is an example of a mindset which can be of benefit.

I wondered if other theists here (where are you?) could relate to that.

i haven't read the whole thread so i might have missed it but what exactly helps you to be strong?
is it that you think that god will help you,support you or that it will deal out justice when you are wronged?

I feel that god helps me to deal with stuff, and I also feel that god has a purpose for everything, which makes it easy to come to terms with stuff. Do I believe that god hands out justice? I suppose so, in a way.

So god does tell you what you can and cannot do? :scratch:
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#106  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jan 19, 2011 1:08 am

fastonez wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
fastonez wrote:
That's fair. But it's not that I'm unwilling, it's just that I don't really know where to start. Please don't confuse the two.

Doesn't it make you reflect though, that you are perfectly prepared to claim that you get comfort from believing in it, yet struggle to explain what 'it' is?

Well, it just means that I don't know where to start when it comes to defining it.

Then try!

You’re asking us to engage in a discussion where you’re being vague, evasive, non-committal and handing out tidbits of information that leads us nowhere.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#107  Postby fastonez » Jan 19, 2011 1:14 am

Skinny Puppy, to be fair, I was asking the theists here to engage in discussion, that's what the discussion is about. I did say so in my opening post.
fastonez
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#108  Postby rEvolutionist » Jan 19, 2011 1:19 am

Unfortunately you are on the wrong site for that. The vast majority of us here are atheists. I'm still interested in what lead you to this site. Are you looking to challenge some of your beliefs?
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#109  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jan 19, 2011 1:29 am

fastonez wrote:Skinny Puppy, to be fair, I was asking the theists here to engage in discussion, that's what the discussion is about. I did say so in my opening post.

I’ve already answered that objection of yours.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/viewtopic.php?p=675277#p675277

And to be honest, I have 20 years’ worth of theology behind me. You’ll get as much from me as the most die-hard theist. I lived for god 24/7 for 20 years, so this game isn’t new to me. (In case you didn’t read it elsewhere, I was a born again Pentecostal.)

In addition, if you’ll start answering the members’ questions rather than using evasive manoeuvres, you’ll be awarded this most coveted T-shirt.

Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#110  Postby timtom » Jan 19, 2011 1:30 am

fastonez wrote: I don't rely on god to sort things out

fastonez wrote: I also feel that god has a purpose for everything

Predeterminism > free will
timtom

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#111  Postby hackenslash » Jan 19, 2011 1:37 am

fastonez wrote:
hackenslash wrote:1 down, 29,999 to go...

Are there really that many?

At least. Indeed, there are that many different conceptions of christianity, let alone all the other gods that have ever been believed in.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#112  Postby fastonez » Jan 19, 2011 1:38 am

hackenslash wrote:
fastonez wrote:
hackenslash wrote:1 down, 29,999 to go...

Are there really that many?

At least. Indeed, there are that many different conceptions of christianity, let alone all the other gods that have ever been believed in.

30,000 conceptions of christianity? How do you know?
fastonez
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#113  Postby hackenslash » Jan 19, 2011 1:42 am

Have you tried books? The World Christian Encyclopedia (2000 Edition) lists 33,820 different denominations of christianity.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#114  Postby fastonez » Jan 19, 2011 1:47 am

hackenslash wrote:Have you tried books? The World Christian Encyclopedia (2000 Edition) lists 33,820 different denominations of christianity.

Tried books for what? I was asking you how you knew. Wow, that many. Were you ever a christian yourself, Hackenslash?
fastonez
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#115  Postby rEvolutionist » Jan 19, 2011 1:49 am

What I love about this site is that the atheists here know more about religion than the religionists themselves. This is a truly wonderful site (and sight)!
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#116  Postby hackenslash » Jan 19, 2011 1:50 am

fastonez wrote:Tried books for what?

Finding things out.

I was asking you how you knew.

Err, books.

Wow, that many.

Yep. Lot's of people wanting to be parted with their freedom and their money.

Were you ever a christian yourself, Hackenslash?

No, I was never gullible, thanks.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#117  Postby fastonez » Jan 19, 2011 1:51 am

rEvolutionist wrote:What I love about this site is that the atheists here know more about religion than the religionists themselves. This is a truly wonderful site (and sight)!

I've noticed that too.
fastonez
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#118  Postby fastonez » Jan 19, 2011 1:52 am

hackenslash wrote:
fastonez wrote:Tried books for what?

Finding things out.

I was asking you how you knew.

Err, books.

Wow, that many.

Yep. Lot's of people wanting to be parted with their freedom and their money.

Were you ever a christian yourself, Hackenslash?

No, I was never gullible, thanks.

Do you personally know anyone who is?
fastonez
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#119  Postby hackenslash » Jan 19, 2011 1:55 am

I know lots of gullible people, yes. Funnily enough, none of them know remotely as much about their religion as I do, and that includes a few priests. I once knew a world-famous archbishop pretty well, but I suspect he might have known a bit more than the rest, although we never discussed it much at the time.

Funny that. Most of them don't want to discuss it with me.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#120  Postby fastonez » Jan 19, 2011 1:57 am

hackenslash wrote:I know lots of gullible people, yes. Funnily enough, none of them know remotely as much about their religion as I do, and that includes a few priests. I once knew a world-famous archbishop pretty well, but I suspect he might have known a bit more than the rest, although we never discussed it much at the time.

Funny that. Most of them don't want to discuss it with me.

Why do you think he knew more than the rest? Did he hint that he does?
fastonez
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism