Why believing in god helps me

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Why believing in god helps me

#121  Postby Sciwoman » Jan 19, 2011 2:00 am

Not many christians on this site, fastonez. However, quite a few of the atheists here used to be christians. Also, quite a few of those who have never been believers have taken the time to learn about christianity and other religions.
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin
Sciwoman
RS Donator

Name: AKA Ayaan
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#122  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jan 19, 2011 2:02 am

rEvolutionist wrote:What I love about this site is that the atheists here know more about religion than the religionists themselves. This is a truly wonderful site (and sight)!

At the risk of quoting myself, :oops: I wrote this in an earlier thread.

I was also forewarned that the most knowledgeable people as far as the bible was concerned were atheists! They told me that many atheists had an incredible knowledge of the bible, and in order to counter their arguments and objections, I’d have to be more knowledgeable than they were. My goal was to convert them, not argue with them or to antagonise them.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/viewtopic.php?p=671057#p671057
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#123  Postby CookieJon » Jan 19, 2011 2:03 am

fastonez wrote:
hackenslash wrote:
fastonez wrote:

Are there really that many?

At least. Indeed, there are that many different conceptions of christianity, let alone all the other gods that have ever been believed in.

30,000 conceptions of christianity? How do you know?

At least! There are almost as many religions as there are individuals on the planet.

Haven't you noticed how everyone's particular god falls in line with what the believer wants? For instance, your god seems to exist solely to "help you in certain situations where you need to be strong".

Out of interest, where did you get the idea that your god exists at all? Since you're not a Christian, you obviously didn't discover this new god through the Bible. I'm just wondering how you came to the conclusion there is yet another god - the one you believe in - in addition to the pantheon of established gods floating around in the stratosphere.
Last edited by CookieJon on Jan 19, 2011 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#124  Postby fastonez » Jan 19, 2011 2:05 am

I don't. I only believe in one god.
fastonez
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#125  Postby CookieJon » Jan 19, 2011 2:09 am

fastonez wrote:I don't. I only believe in one god.

You only believe in one god. He only believes in one god. She only believes in one god.

All together, that's a lot of gods being believed in!

So, how did you discover your particular god, if not through the bible or some old scrolls like all the other gods being believed in?
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#126  Postby CookieJon » Jan 19, 2011 2:11 am

Further, since you believe there is only one god, and it's not the Christian god, then I take it that you think all those Christians are deluded.

Is that right?
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#127  Postby fastonez » Jan 19, 2011 2:16 am

CookieJon wrote:Further, since you believe there is only one god, and it's not the Christian god, then I take it that you think all those Christians are deluded.

Is that right?

No because I'm probably not as familiar with their religion as they are so I can't say. Do you think they're deluded?
fastonez
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#128  Postby CookieJon » Jan 19, 2011 2:21 am

fastonez wrote:
CookieJon wrote:Further, since you believe there is only one god, and it's not the Christian god, then I take it that you think all those Christians are deluded.

Is that right?

No because I'm probably not as familiar with their religion as they are so I can't say.

Well hang on a moment...

You've told us you think there is only one god, and that it's not the Christian god!

Therefore, you must believe that Christians are wrong. Can't really argue with that, now can you! :grin:

Do you think they're deluded?

Of course.
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#129  Postby fastonez » Jan 19, 2011 2:25 am

CookieJon wrote:
fastonez wrote:

Is that right?

No because I'm probably not as familiar with their religion as they are so I can't say.

Well hang on a moment...

You've told us you think there is only one god, and that's it's not the Christian god!

Therefore, you must believe that Christians are wrong. Can't really argue with that, now can you! :grin:

Do you think they're deluded?

Of course.

If I knew more about the christian god I'd be able to say. I'm assuming you know a fair bit about the christian god, is that right?
fastonez
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#130  Postby CookieJon » Jan 19, 2011 2:29 am

fastonez wrote:If I knew more about the christian god I'd be able to say.

So you're open to the possibility that either the god that you believe in is not real, or that there is actually more than one god. I see, well that's a very open-minded attitude to adopt. Well done. :grin:

I'm still curious, though. Since your god doesn't appear to have written an autobiography like Yahweh or some of the more famous gods who have names, how did you find out about your god in the first place?

I'm assuming you know a fair bit about the christian god, is that right?

How about you answer my question, politely asked three times now, first.
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#131  Postby iamthereforeithink » Jan 19, 2011 2:41 am

Oh, give the guy a break. If he's not a poe, then he's incredibly naive. I would suggest that he hang out he "social and fun" for around a month, while using the time to extensively read the threads in the other forums.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#132  Postby rEvolutionist » Jan 19, 2011 2:41 am

@CookieJon... Don't get your hopes up. There's about 50-100 unanswered questions still waiting to be answered.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#133  Postby CookieJon » Jan 19, 2011 2:43 am

iamthereforeithink wrote:Oh, give the guy a break. If he's not a poe, then he's incredibly naive. I would suggest that he hang out he "social and fun" for around a month, while using the time to extensively read the threads in the other forums.

Party pooper! :mrgreen:
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#134  Postby iamthereforeithink » Jan 19, 2011 2:46 am

CookieJon wrote:
iamthereforeithink wrote:Oh, give the guy a break. If he's not a poe, then he's incredibly naive. I would suggest that he hang out he "social and fun" for around a month, while using the time to extensively read the threads in the other forums.

Hey, there are not enough drinks in the party. It's not that much fun. :smile:
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#135  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jan 19, 2011 2:54 am

fastonez wrote:I don't. I only believe in one god.

Why is this, Fastonez?

If believing in one god makes you feel so great, then wouldn't believing in more gods make you feel even better? In other words, my lucky rabbit's foot might help me believe that I'm going to win the big game, but it works even better when I'm wearing my lucky underwear too.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#136  Postby Witticism » Jan 19, 2011 3:15 am

CookieJon wrote:

We could always use fresh fish in the next Mafia Game :ask:
If you are not vegan, please consider going vegan. It’s a matter of nonviolence. Being vegan is your statement that you reject violence to other sentient beings, to yourself, and to the environment, on which all sentient beings depend.
Gary Francione
Witticism
RS Donator

Name: Witti
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#137  Postby Witticism » Jan 19, 2011 3:18 am

fastonez wrote:I'm not saying that you should believe in god Mr Deity, but for me, it helps me a lot in certain situations where I need to be strong. A lot of challenges in life can be handled with the right mindset and a belief in god Mr Deity is an example of a mindset which can be of benefit.

I couldn't agree more :grin:
If you are not vegan, please consider going vegan. It’s a matter of nonviolence. Being vegan is your statement that you reject violence to other sentient beings, to yourself, and to the environment, on which all sentient beings depend.
Gary Francione
Witticism
RS Donator

Name: Witti
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#138  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 19, 2011 6:33 am

the mouse wrote:
CookieJon wrote:
Not really, for then the question would be "do you believe in a higher power?", not "do you believe in captial-G God?"

Do you see?

No, the terms are interchangeable. Anyone who believes in a higher power, believes in God, or in other words God = higher power.

Utter bullshit.

I've got a thousand bucks this guy is a christian and as such, thinks his gawd is obviously the only one to "believe", aghast at the very idea that someone could actually believe in any other god.

A little fact for you, mouse: In the span of human events, some tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of gods have been believed in at one time or another. Your christian god idea isn't new and it isn't unique.

There terms are not interchangeable. You can test that yourself at your local church. Try substituting Vishnu for Jeebus and see how well received that idea is.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#139  Postby Tim Hendrix » Jan 19, 2011 8:56 am

Fastonez, it seems to be clear that you haven't really thought very much about this god of yours, it's all very unclear and undefined. All you have said is a very vague statement "beliving in god helps me a lot in certain situations where I need to be strong". What the people on this site are trying to do is to get you think logically about this belief of yours, and what you can extrapolate from your experiences... ultimately leading ( I think) to the realisation that this god of yours in all probability doesn't actually exist.

For example, this god, he helps you to be strong. How? does he give you energy? Does he tell you what to do? Do you get a feeling that if you continue whatever it is that you are having trouble completing, that he will somehow reward you? If this is so, what is the reward. Money? Success? If so, then your god has some power to alter and manipulate reality.

Do you see how it works? By asking questions (and most importantly, getting answers - which you don't seem very willing to do!) we are able to build up a clear picture of what you think this god of yours is and what it can and can't do, and then we can draw conclusions from it. Like the whole free will/praying contradiction with the Christian god.

As has been mentioned before, if you just want to talk to the theists out their then you are indeed on the wrong site. Please let us know and we can stop bothering to read these posts. Because what you have now done is throw out a juicy statement that you believe in (a) god, and I think you know that by far the majority of people here think that there aren't any.
Let's work as a team, and do it my way
Tim Hendrix

Name: Tim

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#140  Postby hackenslash » Jan 19, 2011 9:40 am

fastonez wrote:
hackenslash wrote:I know lots of gullible people, yes. Funnily enough, none of them know remotely as much about their religion as I do, and that includes a few priests. I once knew a world-famous archbishop pretty well, but I suspect he might have known a bit more than the rest, although we never discussed it much at the time.

Funny that. Most of them don't want to discuss it with me.

Why do you think he knew more than the rest? Did he hint that he does?

Because you don't rise through the ranks without picking up a few things. ;)
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism