Why religion is good for us ...

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Why religion is good for us ...

#1  Postby katja z » Mar 05, 2010 4:47 pm

Lionel Tiger on why religion is good for us: it increases our serotonin levels.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/03/04/macleans-interview-lionel-tiger/

Religion as an equivalent of a Prozac pill? I doubt I would like this argument if I were a believer ... :think:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Why religion is good for us ...

#2  Postby Tbickle » Mar 05, 2010 5:02 pm

What else do they have to go on? Besides, it is my personal opinion that most people I know only believe in god because that's how they were raised and because it provides comfort.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Luis Dias » Mar 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Perhaps they can present it as a low cost alternative to prozac!

Ah! Fuck I'm sold!
Luis Dias

Male

Portugal (pt)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Alan B » Mar 06, 2010 10:26 am

Take this religion five times a day and give me money...

I feel better already! :puke:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby midnightfire » Mar 06, 2010 5:10 pm

My mom says she would probably consider herself an atheist. But she hates other atheists because "they want to take religion away from people". She considers it a source of comfort and happiness. But she can't seem to see the guilt and unhappiness it causes, as well. Nor its absolute atrocities.

Turkey increases serotonin levels, too. Maybe we should all be Turkeyists?
midnightfire

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby NineOneFour » Mar 06, 2010 5:12 pm

I just had some turkey and as a result my serotonin level increased.

So, screw religion.

Does bacon increase serotonin levels? I think i wouldn't mind being a baconist.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby midnightfire » Mar 06, 2010 5:19 pm

Mmmmmmmm, bacon.............

Is it lunchtime yet? I'm picturing a turkey & bacon sandwich ;)
midnightfire

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Scarlett » Mar 06, 2010 5:25 pm

I went to a born-again church quite recently, for the experience of it only I might add. To be honest, there appeared to me to be alot of quite vulnerable people there, there was alot of crying and praying, and there was an air of desperation unlike anything I've felt anywhere else. Happy pill? I think this lot needed a bucketload
"The stupid bitch"

" ..the Scottish bitch.."

" Too much PC and stupid women."

"..Paula (who still thinks she is the forum pin-up)."

Prize for guessing who? :naughty2:
Scarlett

Female

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 06, 2010 6:45 pm

katja z wrote:Lionel Tiger on why religion is good for us: it increases our serotonin levels.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/03/04/macleans-interview-lionel-tiger/

Religion as an equivalent of a Prozac pill? I doubt I would like this argument if I were a believer ... :think:

Prozac seems to have a lot less baggage, if you ask me.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Mick » Mar 06, 2010 7:10 pm

Tbickle wrote:What else do they have to go on? Besides, it is my personal opinion that most people I know only believe in god because that's how they were raised and because it provides comfort.

Well, that's not how I'd say it. Rather, I think it's that God is the foundation of that person's worldview. It's the light which allows him to see and the rock that he stands upon to view the horizon. It functions a lot like the Cartesian archimedean point, I think. Then there are also the pragmatic points of God-belief such like offering purpose, enduring companionship, immortality and even significance qua human being. Indeed, one of the features of Christianity that I love is the significance imported into every human being in virtue of him being made in the image of God. :dance:
Christ said, "I am the Truth"; he did not say "I am the custom." -- St. Toribio
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#11  Postby katja z » Mar 07, 2010 6:57 pm

What I was getting at is that while Lionel Tiger is undoubtedly "in favour" of religion - and by that, he obviously means organized religion, religious community, religious ritual, the works - as a good and natural phenomenon (btw, I sense the classic "natural, therefore good for you" fallacy at work here), his descriptions of why it is good should surely offend religious people?

Now, if you took it as a cognitive experience—and the sermon had all to do with veils and whatever—it was kind of incomprehensible, but what you did get was a sense of people hanging around, playing music for each other, being together, holding each others’ hands after the service was over. And unquestionably, if you were to do a brain assay—as Mike was able to do with chimps—as they left the church you’d see that they were thriving with serotonin, that there was no cortisol bothering them, things were good neurophysiologically, oxytocin was flowing, all the things that we now know are associated with pro-social, pro-survival activity.

I’m not sure we’ll ever learn to manage brain secretions in any manner, and it may be that we don’t want to, but at least we now know that the feeling of oceanic identification with others in an assembly—a church assembly or whenever—is not magical, it’s neurophysiological. We can identify the juices. I think that’s fantastic, actually. And Mike’s work on serotonin did generate Prozac and a whole array of medications.

In a nutshell, organized religion as a way of fooling our brain to secrete more serotonin.

I'd love to know what religious members of this forum think of his arguments ...
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Alan B » Mar 07, 2010 7:50 pm

katja z wrote:In a nutshell, organized religion as a way of fooling our brain to secrete more serotonin money.

Fixed.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Kelly » Mar 07, 2010 11:33 pm

Mick wrote:
Tbickle wrote:What else do they have to go on? Besides, it is my personal opinion that most people I know only believe in god because that's how they were raised and because it provides comfort.

Well, that's not how I'd say it. Rather, I think it's that God is the foundation of that person's worldview. It's the light which allows him to see and the rock that he stands upon to view the horizon. It functions a lot like the Cartesian archimedean point, I think. Then there are also the pragmatic points of God-belief such like offering purpose, enduring companionship, immortality and even significance qua human being. Indeed, one of the features of Christianity that I love is the significance imported into every human being in virtue of him being made in the image of God. :dance:

One of the problems with this, in my opinion, is that it offers no validity to the truth claims of the existence of god, or any gods. It may feel good, but that doesn't make it true.
Kelly

Female

Print view this post

#14  Postby Roger Cooke » Mar 08, 2010 12:37 am

Mick wrote:

Yes indeed. I've just been reading a book called The Paradox of Choice. It explains why having options makes people unhappy. Dostoevsky said it very well in "The Grand Inquisitor" passage from The Brothers Karamazov, where the Inquisitor says that there is nothing a human being desires more ardently than to find somewhere to bestow that cursed freedom he has. I regard this unseemly haste to turn all decisions over to an oracle as a waste of human potential, but I must admit that most people appear to be happier for doing so. If mere contentment, like that of a cat after eating a bowl of tuna fish, is what one wants, religion can certainly provide it. Doesn't matter which one.

Of course, the human mind will always be subliminally aware of all the contradictions involved in affirming a creed, and some effort will be required to silence the promptings of the rational mind, but then life is full of compromises....
"If it is a Miracle, any sort of evidence will answer, but if it is a Fact, proof is necessary" -- Mark Twain
Roger Cooke

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby Mick » Mar 08, 2010 12:47 am

Kelly wrote:
Mick wrote:

One of the problems with this, in my opinion, is that it offers no validity to the truth claims of the existence of god, or any gods. It may feel good, but that doesn't make it true.

Meh. It doesn't mean it's unreasonable, either.
Christ said, "I am the Truth"; he did not say "I am the custom." -- St. Toribio
Mick
Banned Troll

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby hackenslash » Mar 08, 2010 1:26 am

No it doesn't. What is unreasonable is that it is not rooted in reason, but the abandonment of reason.

Anyhoo, who is this 'us' of which you speak? Religion is certainly not good for those contracting HIV in Africa due to the utterly immoral doctrines of the catholic church.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby katja z » Mar 08, 2010 8:58 am

Hackenslash, it's a very general "us" as in "us, human beings". Not my fault, I was just summing up the ideas of Lionel Tiger in an interview which I wanted us ("us" as in "us, forum members") to discuss. I posted the link in the OP, do have a read.

I certainly agree with you! :cheers:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby hackenslash » Mar 08, 2010 11:04 am

I did read it. He's talking through his arse.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby katja z » Mar 08, 2010 11:57 am

hackenslash wrote:I did read it. He's talking through his arse.

A masterful summary :mrgreen:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Return to Theism