William Lane Craig goes for the youth market

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: William Lane Craig goes for the youth market

#41  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 06, 2017 8:55 pm

What he does makes sense to me. I remember having the sort of moralistic discussions with my dad that inevitably lead to religion. He seemed to be of the mind that it doesn't matter if you're telling ghost stories as long as you get people to do the right thing. Or what you believe is the right thing, anyway. WLC believes in his heart of hearts that people who believe in a creator God and an afterlife are better off than those who don't. It doesn't matter if his arguments are nonsense, because he doesn't believe you can reason your way to the truth.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 10819
Age: 37
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: William Lane Craig goes for the youth market

#42  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 06, 2017 9:11 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:WLC believes in his heart of hearts that people who believe in a creator God and an afterlife are better off than those who don't.


One way to be better off is to have a hermetically-sealed world-view. You're better off as long as you think all your existential questions have been answered. I'll bet there are plenty here with stories to tell about how the whole thing destabilized.

Where are all the apologists who challenge people's faith? They ain't in church, right?
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Ivar Poäng
Posts: 24905
Age: 6
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: William Lane Craig goes for the youth market

#43  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 06, 2017 9:34 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:WLC believes in his heart of hearts that people who believe in a creator God and an afterlife are better off than those who don't.


One way to be better off is to have a hermetically-sealed world-view. You're better off as long as you think all your existential questions have been answered.

Actually, I find the opposite to be true in most religious minds. Nothing seems to offend them more than folks who point out answers to their existential questions that don't involve mysterious, amorphous beings. You don't even need to be a member of a church to have this mindset. But hey, nothing more hermetically sealed than crass naturalism, eh?

I'll bet there are plenty here with stories to tell about how the whole thing destabilized.

Where are all the apologists who challenge people's faith? They ain't in church, right?

They're in the other guy's church, I suppose.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 10819
Age: 37
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: William Lane Craig goes for the youth market

#44  Postby james1v » Dec 07, 2017 1:37 am

I thought it was something to do with "strictly come dancing"...Oh, that's Craig revel something or other...I'm old.
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
User avatar
james1v
 
Name: James.
Posts: 8910
Age: 59
Male

Country: UK
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: William Lane Craig goes for the youth market

#45  Postby pelfdaddy » Dec 07, 2017 5:08 am

What I said was only intended as a funny comment.

I'm referring to a basic desire for independence.

A forty-year-old does not check in with his parents every day to find out what to do, how to do it and why. So why are believers insistent that someone in authority must provide such guidance and that we should find this prospect to be fulfilling and wonderful?

I do not have a published study to back me up.
pelfdaddy
 
Posts: 955
Age: 51
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: William Lane Craig goes for the youth market

#46  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 07, 2017 9:16 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:But hey, nothing more hermetically sealed than crass naturalism, eh?


No, not really. A simple brain fart can fuck that one up. Maybe that's your point.

Of course, what we respect is something that goes a little beyond the crass, and that defends itself against simple brain farts.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Ivar Poäng
Posts: 24905
Age: 6
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: William Lane Craig goes for the youth market

#47  Postby Shrunk » Dec 07, 2017 3:36 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:It doesn't matter if his arguments are nonsense, because he doesn't believe you can reason your way to the truth.


What I don't understand is why he is so open about his hypocrisy, and why others do not more often call him out on it.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Shrunk
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 26055
Age: 52
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: William Lane Craig goes for the youth market

#48  Postby Leucius Charinus » Dec 08, 2017 5:04 am

Shrunk wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:It doesn't matter if his arguments are nonsense, because he doesn't believe you can reason your way to the truth.


What I don't understand is why he is so open about his hypocrisy, and why others do not more often call him out on it.


Rightly or wrongly I cant help feeling that all this stuff - exemplified by WLC - involves truckloads of confirmation bias. [imported through conditioning]
"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that
the fabrication of the Christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. "

Emperor Julian (362 CE)
User avatar
Leucius Charinus
 
Posts: 752

Print view this post

Re: William Lane Craig goes for the youth market

#49  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 08, 2017 3:30 pm

Shrunk wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:It doesn't matter if his arguments are nonsense, because he doesn't believe you can reason your way to the truth.


What I don't understand is why he is so open about his hypocrisy, and why others do not more often call him out on it.

Because they're either too stupid to see it or they agree with him, I assume.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 10819
Age: 37
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Christianity

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest