Without Hope for an Afterlife, What Are We Living For?

If we have no hope, what are we living for?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Without Hope for an Afterlife, What Are We Living For?

#1061  Postby laklak » Dec 28, 2014 3:05 pm

She'd be useful on a deserted island, I suppose. Plenty of long ham there.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#1062  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 28, 2014 3:06 pm

laklak wrote:She'd be useful on a deserted island, I suppose. Plenty of long ham there.

OMG :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1063  Postby Onyx8 » Dec 28, 2014 6:09 pm

She was relentlessly mocked on HIGNFY and refused to ever host the show again. IIRC. Merton kept referring to her as his girl. bird. :lol:
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1064  Postby Mister Agenda » Jan 05, 2015 9:52 pm

carl wrote:
What does an old, aged atheist who rejects Eternal Life look FORWARD to?

Tomorrow. I'm not dead yet!

1) Losing his body - dying and turning into dust.[/quote]

I don't think anyone who isn't suffering greatly looks forward to that. Is not being able to face that your justification for believing in an afterlife? Because believing that won't be the end of you doesn't make it so.

carl wrote:
2) Losing all ties to loved ones, friendships, possessions, etc...

I'll have those for as long as I live, which is exactly how long it matters.

carl wrote:
3) Losing any remembrance or significance of their life.

There won't be a 'me' to miss it.

carl wrote:
4) Losing absolutely EVERYTHING.

There won't be a 'me' to miss it.
Mister Agenda

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1065  Postby Mister Agenda » Jan 05, 2015 10:01 pm

carl wrote:
Atheism offers these typical NON-answers:

You seem to be poisoning the well.

carl wrote:
1) "I don't fear death." This does not answer the question but simply avoids it. The question is NOT about fear but HOPE for the future. "Fear" and "Hope" are vastly different.

Still, it's a good feeling to not fear death, and I loof forward to continuing not to fear it.

carl wrote:
2) "I look back on a full life." This is only looking back and does not answer the question about a future Hope.

I certainly hope to have a full life to look back on. If you mean some hope for something after I did, that would only go to show that it IS possible to ask a stupid question.

carl wrote:
3) "Even if the Bible gives hope, that doesn't mean its true." This does not answer the question but avoids it.

I suppose it is a tu quoque. You're just as dead as the next guy, but at least you've got yourself fooled about it.

carl wrote:
4) "I just look forward to the next day". A day-by-day, hand-to-mouth existence - again, nothing to look FORWARD to.

Maybe when you're older, you'll have more of an appreciation for the next day. You'd be happier if you cultivated it now, though. Tomorrow is at least as amazing and wonderful as today, even if not everything goes your way.
Mister Agenda

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1066  Postby Mister Agenda » Jan 05, 2015 10:09 pm

carl wrote:
5) "I have hope for future generations." When you're dead, you have no hope for YOU and does not answer the question.

The question you've so painstakingly constructed so only the answer you want is acceptable. I can have hope for the future of others until I'm dead, and when I'm dead, hope is inapplicable. It's inapplicable to you, too. Being deluded about it isn't anything of which to be proud.

carl wrote:
6) "I will live on in my children". This is only a RELATIVE hope, and does not answer the question beyond when your children do, in fact, also die.

Got it. We're only allowed to hope for things that work for you, and if we hope for anything else, it doesn't count. I'm going to take that for exactly what it's worth.

carl wrote:
7) "I don't have to look forward to meeting God." Since God is nonexistent according to atheism, this answer is nonsensical.

More like a tautology, I would think.

carl wrote:
8) "I don't have to worry about going to hell." Since hell is nonexistent according to atheism, this answer is nonsensical.

That word, 'nonsensical'. I don't think it means what you think it does.

carl wrote:
Psalm 112: The wicked man will see and be vexed, he will gnash his teeth and waste away; the longings of the wicked will come to nothing.

I'm not a wicked man. Are you one of those people who think they're not being rude if they don't call someone names or use 'bad words'?

carl wrote:
Ecclesiastes 3: He has also set eternity in the hearts of men... Note: All human beings are sentient and want to live on, both for themselves and their loved ones.

Some of us are sentient enough to know that wanting something and getting it are two different things.
Mister Agenda

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1067  Postby Agrippina » Jan 06, 2015 5:09 am

I had a chat with my older sister about this yesterday. She said she "fears" death, so I asked exactly what is it she "fears" about being dead, she won't know that she's dead. When we reached the end of the conversation, she felt a lot better because we figured out that it's not the idea of being dead that bothers her, it's the manner of her death: pain, suffering, indignity. Fair enough, I think most of us would like a clean death, i.e. to just die in our sleep, or drop dead while boogeying the night away with a joint in one hand and a martini in the other. It's not going to happen, we can't know the manner of our death, so why obsess about it?
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#1068  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Jan 06, 2015 5:28 am

Agrippina wrote:I had a chat with my older sister about this yesterday. She said she "fears" death, so I asked exactly what is it she "fears" about being dead, she won't know that she's dead. When we reached the end of the conversation, she felt a lot better because we figured out that it's not the idea of being dead that bothers her, it's the manner of her death: pain, suffering, indignity. Fair enough, I think most of us would like a clean death, i.e. to just die in our sleep, or drop dead while boogeying the night away with a joint in one hand and a martini in the other. It's not going to happen, we can't know the manner of our death, so why obsess about it?

I know if I have a postmortem life, it will be as a memory in the minds of friends and loved ones. Other than that, I will be just meat, with not even the "cheat" of surviving offspring. I think your sis is lucky to have such a wise sister. :doh:
I wonder if funerals and other rituals help to maintain the fantasy of a real after-life? Is a funeral really closure, or does it reinforce the delusion of afterlife? many people tend to respect the dead, and care for the dead, more than the living. over at Talk rational i expressed the option that maybe too much was being spent on the dead of air disasters, rather than using the effort and money to make flying safer by reducing errors and risks. Surely that would lead to fewer deaths and fewer grieving families? Is that not better? Somehow, I did not make my point.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#1069  Postby RealityRules » Jan 06, 2015 6:11 am

Agrippina wrote:I had a chat with my older sister about this yesterday. She said she "fears" death, so I asked exactly what is it she "fears" about being dead, she won't know that she's dead. When we reached the end of the conversation, she felt a lot better because we figured out that it's not the idea of being dead that bothers her, it's the manner of her death: pain, suffering, indignity. Fair enough, I think most of us would like a clean death, i.e. to just die in our sleep, or drop dead while boogeying the night away with a joint in one hand and a martini in the other. It's not going to happen, we can't know the manner of our death, so why obsess about it?

I used to read the Guardian UK's Comment-is-Free Belief section a few yrs ago (when it was quite active) and there was a regular poster there who used to work in geriatric & palliative care. He said those that feared death the most were the devout Christians - they were scared stiff of what their 'afterlife' might be; and increasingly so in their last days.
RealityRules

Name: GMak

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#1070  Postby Agrippina » Jan 06, 2015 10:13 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:

I know if I have a postmortem life, it will be as a memory in the minds of friends and loved ones. Other than that, I will be just meat, with not even the "cheat" of surviving offspring. I think your sis is lucky to have such a wise sister. :doh:

:grin:

I wonder if funerals and other rituals help to maintain the fantasy of a real after-life? Is a funeral really closure, or does it reinforce the delusion of afterlife? many people tend to respect the dead, and care for the dead, more than the living. over at Talk rational i expressed the option that maybe too much was being spent on the dead of air disasters, rather than using the effort and money to make flying safer by reducing errors and risks. Surely that would lead to fewer deaths and fewer grieving families? Is that not better? Somehow, I did not make my point.

Of course you're right. I'm almost tempted to allow my body to be used at a "body farm" - those places where they leave dead bodies out to the elements so they can record the process of decomposition.. I can't see why not. Of course I'm told that's just disrespectful and for unwanted, unidentified bodies. In my opinion, those bodies deserve some respect. Give them my fancy funeral, and leave my carcass to the elements. :roll:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#1071  Postby Agrippina » Jan 06, 2015 10:14 am

RealityRules wrote:

I used to read the Guardian UK's Comment-is-Free Belief section a few yrs ago (when it was quite active) and there was a regular poster there who used to work in geriatric & palliative care. He said those that feared death the most were the devout Christians - they were scared stiff of what their 'afterlife' might be; and increasingly so in their last days.

Yeah that always confuses me. Why don't the deeply devout just die? Why do their families spend fortunes on medical care to keep them alive? Surely if the afterlife is what you want, you should just skip this one and shuffle off to the "better" place. :roll:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#1072  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 06, 2015 10:23 am

Agrippina wrote:
RealityRules wrote:

Yeah that always confuses me. Why don't the deeply devout just die? Why do their families spend fortunes on medical care to keep them alive? Surely if the afterlife is what you want, you should just skip this one and shuffle off to the "better" place. :roll:

This is especially odd with Presbytarians others who believe in predestination.
Why heal/fix any illness or wound? Isn't having those what God wants/plans for you?
Why help a cow out of a ditch and mend it's broken leg, but not fix your own injuries or illnesses?
Also why pray at all or live a devout life, if God has already decided whether you got heaven or hell.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1073  Postby Agrippina » Jan 06, 2015 12:46 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
RealityRules wrote:

This is especially odd with Presbytarians others who believe in predestination.
Why heal/fix any illness or wound? Isn't having those what God wants/plans for you?
Why help a cow out of a ditch and mend it's broken leg, but not fix your own injuries or illnesses?
Also why pray at all or live a devout life, if God has already decided whether you got heaven or hell.

These questions are especially pertinent when people complain about science "always changing its mind" and when they pray for their family members when they are ill, and then shrug and say it was "god's will" when they die. Why not just let god do whatever the plan is? Just wasting medical resources if god is so interested in the individual health of every person who believes. :roll:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#1074  Postby Cody » Jan 07, 2015 12:48 pm

Theism holds that God gave us freewill. Right? Theists have to say this otherwise they will have to acknowledge that God is responsible for evil in the world as well as good.Freewill is the essential ingredient needed to make sense of Theism.
That having been said, there surely is no place for predestination in Theism. Freewill and predestination would be very strange bedfellows.
Cody

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1075  Postby archibald » Jan 07, 2015 1:04 pm

The wiki page on Death Anxiety has a section on religiosity. Although it is not conclusive, the general view both on that page and the associated 'talk page' seems to be that religiosity is more often associated with reduced anxiety about death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_anxiety_(psychology)#Measuring_death_anxiety
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#1076  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 07, 2015 4:39 pm

Cody wrote:Theism holds that God gave us freewill. Right? Theists have to say this otherwise they will have to acknowledge that God is responsible for evil in the world as well as good.Freewill is the essential ingredient needed to make sense of Theism.
That having been said, there surely is no place for predestination in Theism. Freewill and predestination would be very strange bedfellows.

Yet, Prebysterians, Methodists, Bapitists and those are just Christian denominations. Surely there are other theistic religions that predestination as part of their core beliefs.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1077  Postby Shrunk » Jan 07, 2015 5:17 pm

archibald wrote:The wiki page on Death Anxiety has a section on religiosity. Although it is not conclusive, the general view both on that page and the associated 'talk page' seems to be that religiosity is more often associated with reduced anxiety about death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_anxiety_(psychology)#Measuring_death_anxiety

OTOH:

Religious coping and use of intensive life-prolonging care near death in patients with advanced cancer.

Phelps AC, Maciejewski PK, Nilsson M, Balboni TA, Wright AA, Paulk ME, Trice E, Schrag D, Peteet JR, Block SD, Prigerson HG.
JAMA. 2009 Mar 18;301(11):1140-7. doi: 10.1001/jama.2009.341

CONTEXT:

Patients frequently rely on religious faith to cope with cancer, but little is known about the associations between religious coping and the use of intensive life-prolonging care at the end of life.

OBJECTIVE:

To determine the way religious coping relates to the use of intensive life-prolonging end-of-life care among patients with advanced cancer.

DESIGN, SETTING, AND PARTICIPANTS:

A US multisite, prospective, longitudinal cohort of 345 patients with advanced cancer, who were enrolled between January 1, 2003, and August 31, 2007. The Brief RCOPE assessed positive religious coping. Baseline interviews assessed psychosocial and religious/spiritual measures, advance care planning, and end-of-life treatment preferences. Patients were followed up until death, a median of 122 days after baseline assessment.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES:

Intensive life-prolonging care, defined as receipt of mechanical ventilation or resuscitation in the last week of life. Analyses were adjusted for demographic factors significantly associated with positive religious coping and any end-of-life outcome at P < .05 (ie, age and race/ethnicity). The main outcome was further adjusted for potential psychosocial confounders (eg, other coping styles, terminal illness acknowledgment, spiritual support, preference for heroics, and advance care planning).

RESULTS:

A high level of positive religious coping at baseline was significantly associated with receipt of mechanical ventilation compared with patients with a low level (11.3% vs 3.6%; adjusted odds ratio [AOR], 2.81 [95% confidence interval {CI}, 1.03-7.69]; P = .04) and intensive life-prolonging care during the last week of life (13.6% vs 4.2%; AOR, 2.90 [95% CI, 1.14-7.35]; P = .03) after adjusting for age and race. In the model that further adjusted for other coping styles, terminal illness acknowledgment, support of spiritual needs, preference for heroics, and advance care planning (do-not-resuscitate order, living will, and health care proxy/durable power of attorney), positive religious coping remained a significant predictor of receiving intensive life-prolonging care near death (AOR, 2.90 [95% CI, 1.07-7.89]; P = .04).

CONCLUSIONS:

Positive religious coping in patients with advanced cancer is associated with receipt of intensive life-prolonging medical care near death. Further research is needed to determine the mechanisms for this association.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1078  Postby carl » Jan 11, 2015 11:08 am

Nebogipfel wrote:
carl wrote:
Nebogipfel wrote:
carl wrote:Have you ever hurt anyone else? Aren't you glad God didn't make an edict wiping out all who hurt others? I am. He is much more merciful IMHO than someone who wants hurtful people wiped out.

Tell that to the Amalekites. Who (supposedly) were wiped out by divine edict.

ok, but have you ever hurt anyone else?

Sure. On numerous occasions. Some of which still make me cringe when I think of them.

Likewise. I know of many many instances where I 'got away' with it. This is also why I laugh when I hear some skeptic say they 'take responsibility for their own actions'. No they don't.

And to follow-thru, this is precisely why I believe many of us are also offended when we read some text about God holding us accountable in the future. It's offensive to be told I will be held to account someday even though I temporarily 'got away' with it.
carl

Name: carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1079  Postby carl » Jan 11, 2015 11:12 am

ADParker wrote:
carl wrote:
ADParker wrote:
carl wrote:
:roll: I am no more glad that God didn't wipe people out than I'm glad that a stampede of unicorns and griffins didn't trample my vegetable garden before I got to harvest it. :roll:

Interesting that you seem to think that God is so lacking in imagination or ability to only have the two options of either allowing suffering to go on or wipe people out. :think:

ok, but have you ever hurt anyone else? just asking.

Of what possible relevance is that question?
But if you must know; yes I have hurt other people, not even remotely as many as God has though... if you believe the stories that is. :roll:

Lets' look at your sense of justice: How have you 'taken responsibility' for your actions in each and every case where you hurt someone?
carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1080  Postby carl » Jan 11, 2015 11:14 am

surreptitious57 wrote:
carl wrote:
whenever we look at the date we are using His Birthday as a reference point

Wednesday - named after the Norse god Wodin
Thursday - named after the Norse god Thor
Friday - named after the Norse goddess Frigg
Saturday - named after the Roman god Saturn

January - named after the Roman goddess Janus
March - named after the Roman god Mars
July - named after the Roman emperor Julius
August - named after the Roman emperor Augustine
October - named after the Roman emperor Octavius

Mercury - named after the Roman god of the same name
Venus - named after the Roman goddess of the same name
Mars - named after the Roman god of the same name
Jupiter - named after the Greek god of the same name
Saturn - named after the Roman god of the same name
Uranus - named after the Greek god of the same name
Neptune - named after the Roman god of the same name

Just curious, are the months based on their date of birth too?
carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism