Without Hope for an Afterlife, What Are We Living For?

If we have no hope, what are we living for?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Without Hope for an Afterlife, What Are We Living For?

#1101  Postby BlackBart » Jan 11, 2015 11:59 am

carl wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Also why pray at all or live a devout life, if God has already decided whether you got heaven or hell.

God decided?

1) I have free will to choose God and to be thankful for the life He gave me or...
2) I can be unthankful and spend my energies telling others He doesn't exist.

The worst thing my own child can tell someone is that his own dad doesn't even exist as far as he's concerned. Now that's pure hatred.

Except that telling your child you don't exist would be absurd. Biological fathers are demonstrable, carl. Stories about big-giant-liveum-sky aren't.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1102  Postby carl » Jan 11, 2015 12:00 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
carl wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Except that isn't faith, since we have evidence pointing to natural origins.

You said "pointing"?

Yes and I know that you were going to wibble about that.

carl wrote:To bridge the gap from "pointing" to 'scientifically confirmed', your faith is used.

Except I haven't said it is scientifically confirmed.

ok, so you do 'believe' by faith and if not by faith, then what, since there is no scientific confirmation?
carl

Name: carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1103  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 11, 2015 12:02 pm

carl wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
carl wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Except that isn't faith, since we have evidence pointing to natural origins.

You said "pointing"?

carl wrote:To bridge the gap from "pointing" to 'scientifically confirmed', your faith is used.

ok, so you do 'believe' by faith and if not by faith, then what, since there is no scientific confirmation?

No.
And you know how you can know I don't?
Because I haven't expressed that or any similar position anywhere.

Stop talking to imaginary people in your head and start adressing what people actually write carl.
I don't do blind belief carl.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1104  Postby carl » Jan 11, 2015 12:05 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
carl wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
carl wrote:

You said "pointing"?

No.

Stop talking to imaginary people in your head and start adressing what people actually write carl.

You do believe in the natural origins of the universe and life on this planet, right?

I am asking how you can believe WITHOUT scientific confirmation?
carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1105  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 11, 2015 12:07 pm

carl wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
carl wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

No.

You do believe in the natural origins of the universe and life on this planet, right?

I accept that there is plenty of evidence that there life evolved naturally on this planet.
I have no evidence for any specific origin theory, though certain abiogenesis theories are partially surported.
I accept the evidence for stellar birth and the big bang theory, beyond that I claim neither knowledge or belief.
Like I said above carl, I don't do blind belief.

carl wrote:I am asking how you can believe WITHOUT scientific confirmation?

You're poisoning the well by asserting I believe.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1106  Postby BlackBart » Jan 11, 2015 12:13 pm

Occam's razor carl. It's perfectly simple. You don't explain stuff with things you don't have evidence for. If we don't know how stuff works, we merely say that. Claiming invisible unicorns, fairies or deities did it to plug gaps in your ignorance is lazy and dishonest.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1107  Postby carl » Jan 11, 2015 12:18 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:I accept that there is plenty of evidence that there life evolved naturally on this planet.
I have no evidence for any specific origin theory, though certain abiogenesis theories are partially surported.
I accept the evidence for stellar birth and the big bang theory, beyond that I claim neither knowledge or belief.

Is "accept" code for 'believe'?

You are using your faith and are avoiding admission of it, and dishonestly so, for your own purposes.

Here is another human universal truth: We all use faith. Not admitting so doesn't change our human nature.
carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1108  Postby carl » Jan 11, 2015 12:20 pm

BlackBart wrote:Occam's razor carl. It's perfectly simple. You don't explain stuff with things you don't have evidence for. If we don't know how stuff works, we merely say that. Claiming invisible unicorns, fairies or deities did it to plug gaps in your ignorance is lazy and dishonest.

So you admit believing something for which there is insufficient information. You are using your faith. Thank you.
carl

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1109  Postby Fallible » Jan 11, 2015 12:23 pm

carl wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Also why pray at all or live a devout life, if God has already decided whether you got heaven or hell.

God decided?

1) I have free will to choose God and to be thankful for the life He gave me or...

Oh you have free will to choose God? Ok. Choose to be an atheist. Go on.

2) I can be unthankful and spend my energies telling others He doesn't exist.

So much mess. This is a false dichotomy, carl, an informal fallacy.

The worst thing my own child can tell someone is that his own dad doesn't even exist as far as he's concerned. Now that's pure hatred.

Yeah but you see the thing is it's blatantly obvious that you do in fact exist.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1110  Postby Fallible » Jan 11, 2015 12:30 pm

carl wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:I accept that there is plenty of evidence that there life evolved naturally on this planet.

You are using your faith and are avoiding admission of it, and dishonestly so, for your own purposes.

Here is another human universal truth: We all use faith. Not admitting so doesn't change our human nature.

When are you going to learn that your idiotic assertions do not equal fact? Your personal opinion holds no weight here, carl. In addition, you need to stop contorting other people's comments to fit that idiotic opinion if you want to keep posting here.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1111  Postby Fallible » Jan 11, 2015 12:31 pm

carl wrote:
BlackBart wrote:Occam's razor carl. It's perfectly simple. You don't explain stuff with things you don't have evidence for. If we don't know how stuff works, we merely say that. Claiming invisible unicorns, fairies or deities did it to plug gaps in your ignorance is lazy and dishonest.

So you admit believing something for which there is insufficient information. You are using your faith. Thank you.

You are violating the FUA.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1112  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jan 11, 2015 12:32 pm

carl wrote:

No.
I have already made it perfectly clear I do not speak in code.
If I support something or wish to express something, I will state it clearly.

carl wrote:You are using your faith and are avoiding admission of it, and dishonestly so, for your own purposes.

Fuck off with this pathetic hypocritical lecturing carl. :naughty:

carl wrote:Here is another human universal truth: asinine blind assertion We all use faith. Not admitting so doesn't change our human nature.
Last edited by Thomas Eshuis on Jan 11, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1113  Postby Shrunk » Jan 11, 2015 12:32 pm

carl wrote:In the meantime, do I need all of the answers to believe?

No, but you need a fuck of a lot more answers than you would to simply not believe.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1114  Postby BlackBart » Jan 11, 2015 12:34 pm

Fallible wrote:
carl wrote:

You are violating the FUA.

Can you say misrepresentation? Misrepresentation. That's a big word isn't it?
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1115  Postby Cody » Jan 11, 2015 12:35 pm

Correct me if I have misunderstood but, as I understand it, if you are a theist, you accept as fact certain things about your god: 1.Omniscient
2.Omnipresent
3. All powerful
viz--
1. He knows all there is to know about everything.
2. He is/was/shall be everywhere.
3. He has the ability to accomplish anything.

Now consider our world and the state of it at present, bearing in mind the above three statements re god.
It follows rationally that he is aware of the suffering people are enduring but he does nothing to alleviate it.
He lacks either the power or the will to rid the world of it.
The standard believers' response to this dilemma is to say that we humans are the cause of our own situation and all the evil on earth. Seemingly freewill is the scapegoat. We have made all the wrong choices. Who's fault is that, then? It can't be ours because God made us "in his own image" (according to believers) so it follows that what went wrong is down to him after all. He made a huge mistake; he can't or won't put it right therefore he is a fake at best or a figment of human imagination.
Cody

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1116  Postby Cody » Jan 11, 2015 12:49 pm

Sorry-the above post is in the wrong thread. It should be in the thread about freewill. Please move it for me, mods.
Cody

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#1117  Postby tolman » Jan 11, 2015 12:52 pm

carl wrote:So you admit believing something for which there is insufficient information. You are using your faith. Thank you.

Do you believe there is no poison in your breakfast cereal?

Have you checked, or are you 'just' trusting the manufacturer?

There's a world of difference between trusting to some extent in human nature in situations where cheating is likely to be discovered and punished, and trusting in promises carefully crafted to be beyond disproof.

Much social activity and much science comes into the first category.
Much myth-based religion evidently comes into the second, as can be seen not simply from the countless claims of 'other/wrong' religions which a believer often considers false but can't disprove, but from the ease of fabricating spoof or scam religions (like Pastafarianism or $cientology) which while bogus, seem hard to distinguish in terms of underlying logic and evidence base from mainstream ones.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#1118  Postby campermon » Jan 11, 2015 1:14 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
reports dealt with and unlocked.
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Theism