Alternative to "whose"?

Non-English threads go here. For linguistics please click here instead.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Re: Alternative to

#21  Postby Blip » Jun 26, 2011 12:14 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:"All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come." - Victor Hugo

May I venture to correct you, CDesign? Hugo wrote in French. The original was, I understand: 'On résiste à l'invasion des armées; on ne résiste pas à l'invasion des idées.'
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Alternative to "whose"?

#22  Postby Agrippina » Jun 26, 2011 12:16 pm

Show-off! :lol:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Saim » Jul 03, 2011 6:40 am

This is a fairly old discussion, but I'd like to add something to it:

Wiktionary says that "whose" as the relative pronoun form of "which" was "formerly proscribed", meaning that "whose" was historically the "better" way of saying it. However, I think its similarity to the word "who" has caused some semantic drift in the minds of some speakers.
Saim

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Agrippina » Jul 03, 2011 7:23 am

Still if, for example, you are at a funeral (notorious for the gathering of long-lost family members), and you saw a youngster who you were unable to identity, you're more likely to say "whose child are you?" Rather than "the daughter/son of which of the deceased's children are you?" OR "Which of the adults are your parents?" "Whose" comes easier to casual speech. I think anyway.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Blip » Jul 03, 2011 8:06 am

Saim wrote:This is a fairly old discussion, but I'd like to add something to it:

Wiktionary says that "whose" as the relative pronoun form of "which" was "formerly proscribed", meaning that "whose" was historically the "better" way of saying it. However, I think its similarity to the word "who" has caused some semantic drift in the minds of some speakers.

If the author of the Wiki says that it was 'formerly proscribed', s/he's suggesting it wasn't acceptable for 'which' and now it is. In other words, that my own stance is old-fashioned. I'd dispute that - but then I would say that, wouldn't I? :lol:
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Saim » Jul 03, 2011 8:11 am

Agrippina wrote:Still if, for example, you are at a funeral (notorious for the gathering of long-lost family members), and you saw a youngster who you were unable to identity, you're more likely to say "whose child are you?" Rather than "the daughter/son of which of the deceased's children are you?" OR "Which of the adults are your parents?" "Whose" comes easier to casual speech. I think anyway.

But that would be "of whom" and not "of which", wouldn't it?

Blip wrote:
Saim wrote:This is a fairly old discussion, but I'd like to add something to it:

If the author of the Wiki says that it was 'formerly proscribed', s/he's suggesting it wasn't acceptable for 'which' and now it is. In other words, that my own stance is old-fashioned. I'd dispute that - but then I would say that, wouldn't I? :lol:

I'm inclined to agree with Wiktionary. In fact, I suspect "of which" as a relative pronoun for inanimate nouns was originally a hypercorrection due to the similarity of the words "who" and "whose".
Saim

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#27  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jul 12, 2011 6:34 am

Agrippina wrote: "Whose" comes easier to casual speech. I think anyway.

Which is probably the reason for its being adapted to the possessive form of which. The flow of a language sometimes trumps the logic of a language. My god! Just look at French. :think:
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Agrippina » Jul 12, 2011 7:53 am

I hate people who can speak French. And even more the people who can write it! :lol:

Sheesh, I hate people who can speak more than one language. Language is not my strong suit. Talking is. I talk far too much.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#29  Postby redwhine » Sep 29, 2011 10:54 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShMA85pv8M[/youtube]
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Pulsar » Sep 29, 2011 7:10 pm

Why not say

"There is a house, designed by an architect"

or

"There is a house, and its designer is an architect"

Keep it simple.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Other Languages