Help! Anybody read this handwriting? (Poss. E. Europea)

Non-English threads go here. For linguistics please click here instead.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Re: Help! Anybody read German handwriting?

#21  Postby Mazille » Jun 16, 2010 9:26 pm

Not enough German in there for that, I'd say. I'd wager it's Hungarian. Contact MattHunX. He's Hungarian.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
User avatar
Mazille
RS Donator
 
Posts: 19741
Age: 35
Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Help! Anybody read German handwriting?

#22  Postby Gawdzilla » Jun 16, 2010 9:35 pm

Mazille wrote:Not enough German in there for that, I'd say. I'd wager it's Hungarian. Contact MattHunX. He's Hungarian.

PM sent.
Chief Engineer on the Derail Express.

Geoff wrote:Not that I've anything against paedophilia, but it does leave one open to accusations of catholicism...


This space for rent.
User avatar
Gawdzilla
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3217
Age: 70
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: Help! Anybody read German handwriting?

#23  Postby kiore » Jun 16, 2010 9:43 pm

I am intrigued by the image, a very unusual rendering with mixed ability (self taught presumably) the helmet is quite strange if it is a American style one, perhaps the artist hadn't seen one close up. The subject's left eye is also unusual which makes me think this is actually a self portrait done from a small mirror with the subject leaning in which might explain the distortion with the helmet and the eye.
Folding@Home Team member.
Image
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
User avatar
kiore
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 16367

Country: In transit.
Print view this post

Re: Help! Anybody read German handwriting?

#24  Postby ConnyRaSk » Jun 16, 2010 9:44 pm

BTW, Gawdzilla, you should change the title of the post to anybody read Hungarian handwriting? in case MattHunX can't do it.
Literature, fiction, poetry, whatever, makes justice in the world. That’s why it almost always has to be on the side of the underdog. ~Grace Paley
User avatar
ConnyRaSk
 
Posts: 4828

Country: Austria
Austria (at)
Print view this post

Re: Help! Anybody read German handwriting?

#25  Postby LIFE » Jun 16, 2010 9:45 pm

Mazille wrote:Not enough German in there for that, I'd say. I'd wager it's Hungarian. Contact MattHunX. He's Hungarian.


Definitely hungarian. Can't say what it reads though.
"If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance" - Derek Bok
"Words that make questions may not be questions at all" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
User avatar
LIFE
Site Admin
 
Name: Bernhard
Posts: 7152
Age: 40
Male

Country: Germany
Germany (de)
Print view this post

Re: Help! Anybody read German handwriting?

#26  Postby Gawdzilla » Jun 16, 2010 9:46 pm

ConnyRaSk wrote:BTW, Gawdzilla, you should change the title of the post to anybody read Hungarian handwriting? in case MattHunX can't do it.

Tweaked. :thumbup:
Chief Engineer on the Derail Express.

Geoff wrote:Not that I've anything against paedophilia, but it does leave one open to accusations of catholicism...


This space for rent.
User avatar
Gawdzilla
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3217
Age: 70
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: Help! Anybody read German handwriting?

#27  Postby Gawdzilla » Jun 16, 2010 9:47 pm

kiore wrote:I am intrigued by the image, a very unusual rendering with mixed ability (self taught presumably) the helmet is quite strange if it is a American style one, perhaps the artist hadn't seen one close up. The subject's left eye is also unusual which makes me think this is actually a self portrait done from a small mirror with the subject leaning in which might explain the distortion with the helmet and the eye.

It matches Grandpa's pictures taken in uniform, but he had no skillz they know of.
Chief Engineer on the Derail Express.

Geoff wrote:Not that I've anything against paedophilia, but it does leave one open to accusations of catholicism...


This space for rent.
User avatar
Gawdzilla
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3217
Age: 70
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Help! Anybody read this handwriting? (Poss. E. Europea)

#28  Postby tuco » Jun 16, 2010 9:51 pm

Yeah "Hungarian not E. Europe" .. its middle but whatever .. Hungarian language is much different from other languages in the area and east of it - Slavic, and it is not Slavic language I am almost certain. We even call someone whos incomprehensible or stupid .. Hungarian ;)
tuco
 
Posts: 15552

Print view this post

Re: Help! Anybody read this handwriting? (Poss. E. Europea)

#29  Postby Mazille » Jun 16, 2010 9:58 pm

tuco wrote:Yeah "Hungarian not E. Europe" .. its middle but whatever .. Hungarian language is much different from other languages in the area and east of it - Slavic, and it is not Slavic language I am almost certain. We even call someone whos incomprehensible or stupid .. Hungarian ;)


Cultural reasons... ;)
But yes, you're right. Hungarian is rather unique, really. The next related language is Finnish, which is why the group is called "Finno-Ugric".
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
User avatar
Mazille
RS Donator
 
Posts: 19741
Age: 35
Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Re: Help! Anybody read this handwriting? (Poss. E. Europea)

#30  Postby MattHunX » Jun 16, 2010 10:06 pm

It says:

"Sok szeretettel és hálával az Amerikai katonáknak!"

Translation: With much love and gratitude to the American soldiers.



Sorry, I misread it the first time. :oops: :grin: Now it's done.
Last edited by MattHunX on Jun 16, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
MattHunX
 
Posts: 10947

Print view this post

Re: Help! Anybody read this handwriting? (Poss. E. Europea)

#31  Postby Mazille » Jun 16, 2010 10:09 pm

:cheers:

Hey, I got "many", "and" and "American" right. :mrgreen:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
User avatar
Mazille
RS Donator
 
Posts: 19741
Age: 35
Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Re: Help! Anybody read this handwriting? (Poss. E. Europea)

#32  Postby tuco » Jun 16, 2010 10:12 pm

No no thats only Slovaks, they have issues ;) But seriously, go to Hungary and try to understand one word Hungarian like signs for example. Its like .. wtf? Say something we can find in many (European) languages: Restaurant - Vendéglő .. *shrugs*
tuco
 
Posts: 15552

Print view this post

Re: Help! Anybody read this handwriting? (Poss. E. Europea)

#33  Postby Gawdzilla » Jun 16, 2010 10:13 pm

MattHunX wrote:It says:

"Sok szeretettel és hálával az Amerikai katonáknak!"

Translation: With much love and gratitude to the American soldiers.



Sorry, I misread it the first time. :oops: :grin: Now it's done.

Thanks a million, amigo!
Chief Engineer on the Derail Express.

Geoff wrote:Not that I've anything against paedophilia, but it does leave one open to accusations of catholicism...


This space for rent.
User avatar
Gawdzilla
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3217
Age: 70
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: Help! Anybody read this handwriting? (Poss. E. Europea)

#34  Postby Mazille » Jun 16, 2010 10:15 pm

tuco wrote:No no thats only Slovaks, they have issues ;) But seriously, go to Hungary and try to understand one word Hungarian like signs for example. Its like .. wtf? Say something we can find in many (European) languages: Restaurant - Vendéglő .. *shrugs*

There are some German and Slavic words in there. Mostly swearwords, funnily enough. :lol: But, yes, as I said, it has next to nothing to do with our Indo-European languages.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
User avatar
Mazille
RS Donator
 
Posts: 19741
Age: 35
Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Re: Help! Anybody read this handwriting? (Poss. E. Europea)

#35  Postby MattHunX » Jun 16, 2010 10:15 pm

tuco wrote:No no thats only Slovaks, they have issues ;) But seriously, go to Hungary and try to understand one word Hungarian like signs for example. Its like .. wtf? Say something we can find in many (European) languages: Restaurant - Vendéglő .. *shrugs*


LOL...weird isn't it? Actually, to break it down to you: vendéglő >>> vendég = guest + lő (suffix = "er" I think) = so it's guester :grin: :crazy:
User avatar
MattHunX
 
Posts: 10947

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Help! Anybody read this handwriting? (Poss. E. Europea)

#36  Postby MattHunX » Jun 16, 2010 10:16 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
MattHunX wrote:It says:

"Sok szeretettel és hálával az Amerikai katonáknak!"

Translation: With much love and gratitude to the American soldiers.



Sorry, I misread it the first time. :oops: :grin: Now it's done.

Thanks a million, amigo!


No problem. What's this about anyway? :)

EDIT: Read PM, okay, I think I get it. :thumbup:
User avatar
MattHunX
 
Posts: 10947

Print view this post

Re: Help! Anybody read this handwriting? (Poss. E. Europea)

#37  Postby tuco » Jun 16, 2010 10:28 pm

Weird and amusing, in a good way :) The stupid remark was not to insult (Hungarians) just to say out that we (people) do not hesitate to equal incomprehensible to us with stupid, which is pretty stupid ..
tuco
 
Posts: 15552

Print view this post

Re: Help! Anybody read this handwriting? (Poss. E. Europea)

#38  Postby MattHunX » Jun 16, 2010 10:30 pm

tuco wrote:Weird and amusing, in a good way :) The stupid remark was not to insult (Hungarians) just to say out that we (people) do not hesitate to equal incomprehensible to us with stupid, which is pretty stupid ..


Ooohhh, you can insult them all you like. :grin: I do the same.
User avatar
MattHunX
 
Posts: 10947

Print view this post

Re: Help! Anybody read this handwriting? (Poss. E. Europea)

#39  Postby Mazille » Jun 16, 2010 10:30 pm

tuco wrote:Weird and amusing, in a good way :) The stupid remark was not to insult (Hungarians) just to say out that we (people) do not hesitate to equal incomprehensible to us with stupid, which is pretty stupid ..

That has a loooooong history, though. The word "barbarian" comes to mind.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
User avatar
Mazille
RS Donator
 
Posts: 19741
Age: 35
Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Re: Help! Anybody read this handwriting? (Poss. E. Europea)

#40  Postby Gawdzilla » Jun 16, 2010 10:32 pm

tuco wrote:Weird and amusing, in a good way :) The stupid remark was not to insult (Hungarians) just to say out that we (people) do not hesitate to equal incomprehensible to us with stupid, which is pretty stupid ..

Twenty years in the Navy, 72 countries overnight at least. I had to ride herd on young bucks who had never been out of their home state a few months earlier. One of the things I always told them was "Just because they can talk like, don't think they're dumb." A few learned that the hard way.
Chief Engineer on the Derail Express.

Geoff wrote:Not that I've anything against paedophilia, but it does leave one open to accusations of catholicism...


This space for rent.
User avatar
Gawdzilla
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3217
Age: 70
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Other Languages

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest