Latin?

This is written on my pachinko game

Non-English threads go here. For linguistics please click here instead.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Latin?

#1  Postby Onyx8 » Nov 08, 2010 5:29 am

Anyone know what a pachinko game is? It's kinda like a vertical pinball machine. You purchase balls from the owner and bounce them around in the game until you lose them all, then you buy more. It's possible that you actually win more balls back than you lose in which case you could actually make money when you sell your remaining balls back to the house. Anyhow.

I own one of these things, and there is writing on it. The game itself is Japanese and there are some stickers and tags with what I take to be Japanese symbols on them, but on the actual surface of the board several phrases are written. Here they are. Unfortunately some of the phrases are occluded by the machinery of the game, which makes you wonder why they bothered to put writing there, but no matter.

IRURE DOLOR IN REPREHENDERIT IN VOLUPTATE VELIT ESSE MOLESTAIE CON E....
DIGNISSUM QUI BLANDIT EST PRAESENT LUPTATUM DELENIT AIGUE DUOS DOLOR
ET HARUMD DEREUD FACILIS EST ER EXPEDIT DISTINCT. NAM LIBER TEMPOR CUM

Some of this stuff I recognise from school as latin, ( but "harumd" isn't is it?) but damned if I can remember enough to translate. Mr Leonard will be rolling in his gravy I expect. (Sorry, sir)

Man, that gets the spell checker in a frenzy.

So all you smart folks who stayed in school while I had fun, any translations?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Latin?

#2  Postby Wilde » Nov 08, 2010 10:53 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum :D

It's just a part Latin, part nonsense placeholder text. There's a translation of the original text in the Wikipedia article.
Wilde

Female

Print view this post

#3  Postby Onyx8 » Nov 08, 2010 7:05 pm

Wilde wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum :D

It's just a part Latin, part nonsense placeholder text. There's a translation of the original text in the Wikipedia article.

Fascinating, thank you. Never heard of such a thing before. :thumbup:
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby MathieuT » Nov 08, 2010 7:43 pm

That's the kind of mean joke to do for future generations that will try to break the code of what is written in hope of finding the universal truth!

Like we do with the Maya calendar...
MathieuT

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Wilde » Nov 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Onyx8 wrote:
Wilde wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum :D

Fascinating, thank you. Never heard of such a thing before. :thumbup:

Glad to be of service - I knew my graphic design course at uni would come in handy one day... ;)
Wilde

Female

Print view this post

#6  Postby Onyx8 » Nov 08, 2010 10:13 pm

See, your education is worth every penny of that debt. To me at least...
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby RationalMind » Nov 26, 2010 11:53 am

Possum linguam latinam scribere!
RationalMind

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Other Languages