Polish

Non-English threads go here. For linguistics please click here instead.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Polish

#1  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Nov 30, 2015 12:09 pm

Any Polish speakers here?

I speak Czech and I decided to start learning Polish, shouldn't be too hard when already speaking one Slavic language. There's quite a few Polish speakers around these days in the Netherlands, so maybe I could put it to good use translating stuff.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Polish

#2  Postby Animavore » Nov 30, 2015 12:16 pm

The only Polish I know, but don't know how to spell, is a tongue twister which means something like, "the table is wobbly". Polish people are often surprised at how easily I can say it, but it's not a tongue twister to me at all. I once wondered, somewhere on this very forum, if when you are born into a language does the structure of the language somehow trap you within it such that certain configurations of words cause a brain burp which may not affect those caught in other language structures (I hope I'm expressing that well).
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 30, 2015 12:32 pm

Ani.

Are you asking how much one language can cause problems when thinking and speaking another language?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Nov 30, 2015 12:35 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Ani.

Are you asking how much one language can cause problems when thinking and speaking another language?

No. Nearly the opposite. I'm asking about how speaking a language may cause you to have difficulty with certain phrases (tongue twisters) within that language that someone who speaks another language may not have any trouble saying.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 30, 2015 12:42 pm

Sorry I misunderstood.

Never experienced that. I can say Dutch tongue twisters as good as any Dutchman. The Dutch 'g' gives many non-Dutch many problems as does the 'r'.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Arjan Dirkse » Nov 30, 2015 3:12 pm

Animavore wrote:The only Polish I know, but don't know how to spell, is a tongue twister which means something like, "the table is wobbly". Polish people are often surprised at how easily I can say it, but it's not a tongue twister to me at all. I once wondered, somewhere on this very forum, if when you are born into a language does the structure of the language somehow trap you within it such that certain configurations of words cause a brain burp which may not affect those caught in other language structures (I hope I'm expressing that well).

Czechs have something similar, many have this kind of inferiority (or superiority?) complex about their own language which makes them think nobody who is not Czech can speak any Czech, simply because it's too difficult for foreigners and it's too obscure a language for anyone to bother with. :grin:
Arjan Dirkse

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 30, 2015 3:16 pm

Like Dutch. :lol:

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Animavore » Nov 30, 2015 3:25 pm

It's not as bad as Irish. Even Irish people can't be bothered with it.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 30, 2015 3:32 pm

Animavore wrote:It's not as bad as Irish. Even Irish people can't be bothered with it.

Seems to be going on ok.

http://www.oideasgael.ie/en/

Who attends the Gaelscoi then?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Saim » Apr 24, 2016 8:18 am

I know Polish and have been living in Poland since September. I'm here on exchange, leaving in late June.

Arjan Dirkse wrote:Czechs have something similar, many have this kind of inferiority (or superiority?) complex about their own language which makes them think nobody who is not Czech can speak any Czech, simply because it's too difficult for foreigners and it's too obscure a language for anyone to bother with. :grin:

I'm relatively dark-skinned (Punjabi father, Serbian mother) and here in Poland people speak to me in English a lot even though I'm in a C1 course at the moment. When I tell them (in Polish obviously) that Polish is actually an easy language for me (because I speak Serbian with my mother), most of them just say I'm a genius or a weird exception.

I used to get into long explanations about why Polish isn't impossible even for non-Slavs but I get this Polish is really complicated rap so often that my responses have degraded to this:

Pole: Polish is a really hard language, isn't it?
Me: No, it's easy.
Pole: Oh... wow...

My flatmate is a much lighter-than-average Catalan (his look is more typical of Northern/Central Europe) and also knows Polish, and despite the fact that his intonation isn't Polish at all (although he pronounces all the consonants quite well, which is relatively difficult even for many Slavs) he often comes accross Polish people who don't believe he isn't Polish. When he says he's not Polish they say, "oh but you must have Polish family, right? Right?". :scratch:
Animavore wrote:The only Polish I know, but don't know how to spell, is a tongue twister which means something like, "the table is wobbly".

Stół z powyłamywanymi nogami. Stół z powyłamywanymi nogami. Stół z powyłamywanymi nogami.
Stół z powyłamywanymi nogami. Stół z powyłamywanymi nogami. Stół z powyłamywanymi nogami.
Stółzpowłamynmynogami.
Stółpowłanogami.

God, Polish people are obsessed with tonguetwisters. :lol:
Saim

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby tuco » Apr 28, 2016 5:36 pm

Since we are up .. well, if you speak Czech Polish is, after Slovak, probably the easiest language to handle. Czechs near border with Poland understand, and some speak, Polish readily (watch Polish TV for example).

From business point of view I'd guess that Russian has more opportunities and future than Polish tho. It depends on specifics but in general its simple matter of turnover. It would be harder to learn than Polish but basically in the same difficulty group.

http://www.effectivelanguagelearning.co ... difficulty
tuco

Print view this post

#12  Postby Saim » Jun 09, 2016 10:41 am

tuco wrote:Since we are up .. well, if you speak Czech Polish is, after Slovak, probably the easiest language to handle. Czechs near border with Poland understand, and some speak, Polish readily (watch Polish TV for example).

Yeah, I remember a year ago when I was in the Czech Republic and Slovakia I was fluent in Serbian and had upper-intermediate knowledge of Polish and I had no trouble understanding people.

More recently I did a long Poland-Bosnia bus trip, passing through the Moravia and Slovakia. I remember I would by Czech and Slovak magazines at the gas stations and would go through it just as quickly as I would Polish magazines, with very little I didn't understand.

From business point of view I'd guess that Russian has more opportunities and future than Polish tho.

It really depends. Poland is a growing economy and few foreigners know the language, so the market isn't as saturated as with Russian. I'd say it's always good to have varied skills.

In my case though it doesn't matter because I'm a linguistics student and learn languages for the hell of it. I already know some Russian and I'm confident if I were motivated to learn it I could get to B1 level after a couple of months, and if I lived in a Russian-speaking country I'd pick it up even faster. The same is true of any Slavic language. The only problem when you're a language lover is to not get bored by how similar everything is. :P
Saim

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby tuco » Jun 09, 2016 11:28 am

Well, you are obviously exceptional with languages and so is your point of view on this.

There was a debate whether, or rather how well, Slaves would understand each other 600 years ago. And now I forgot the point .. ;) Lets go back couple of decades then. When Czechs and Slovaks were living in one country (prior to 1991) both languages were used in media thus perhaps everyone understood almost everything. Those born after the split, today's kids and young people, often do not understand many Slovak words, Czech respectively, despite similarities between the two languages. Over one generation language proficiency dropped dramatically just because people did not get to hear the other language.

Indeed, it depends. Poland is no small economy (40mil? pop).
tuco

Print view this post

#14  Postby Briton » Jun 09, 2016 12:15 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Like Dutch. :lol:

I know you can't answer this until you are released from your cell but I was surprised that Dutch is considered the easiest language for an English speaker to learn. At least that was what a Youtube video on the subject claimed.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15  Postby don't get me started » Jun 09, 2016 11:46 pm

Saim wrote:I know Polish and have been living in Poland since September. I'm here on exchange, leaving in late June.

Arjan Dirkse wrote:Czechs have something similar, many have this kind of inferiority (or superiority?) complex about their own language which makes them think nobody who is not Czech can speak any Czech, simply because it's too difficult for foreigners and it's too obscure a language for anyone to bother with. :grin:

I'm relatively dark-skinned (Punjabi father, Serbian mother) and here in Poland people speak to me in English a lot even though I'm in a C1 course at the moment. When I tell them (in Polish obviously) that Polish is actually an easy language for me (because I speak Serbian with my mother), most of them just say I'm a genius or a weird exception.

I used to get into long explanations about why Polish isn't impossible even for non-Slavs but I get this Polish is really complicated rap so often that my responses have degraded to this:

Pole: Polish is a really hard language, isn't it?
Me: No, it's easy.
Pole: Oh... wow...

My flatmate is a much lighter-than-average Catalan (his look is more typical of Northern/Central Europe) and also knows Polish, and despite the fact that his intonation isn't Polish at all (although he pronounces all the consonants quite well, which is relatively difficult even for many Slavs) he often comes accross Polish people who don't believe he isn't Polish. When he says he's not Polish they say, "oh but you must have Polish family, right? Right?". :scratch:
Animavore wrote:The only Polish I know, but don't know how to spell, is a tongue twister which means something like, "the table is wobbly".

Stółzpowłamynmynogami.
Stółpowłanogami.

God, Polish people are obsessed with tonguetwisters. :lol:

Yep, one's ethnicity can have an effect on how people view your language ability. I have a parallel anecdote to yours. I was sharing a taxi home with a Korean colleague and we were chatting a bit with the taxi driver. My stop was first so I gave my friend some money and exited. Once they proceeded the taxi driver mentioned to my friend how good my Japanese was, saying he was surprised when Gaijins can speak Japanese. My friend informed the taxi driver that she is a 'Gaijin' and Japanese was a foreign language to her. The taxi driver tried to do some 'digging' to find out if she was maybe half Japanese or something that would account for her superior Japanese language ability. (She also worked as a simultaneous translator, completely fluent balanced bilingual). We laughed about it when she told me afterwards.

I was in Okinawa recently and perhaps because of the US military presence there, shop staff have a lot of experience with foreigners, most of whom do not speak any Japanese. Every shop, bar hotel etc that I went into mentioned my Japanese ability. It was a real talking point. I get the sense that in some cultures the view prevails that white people are not supposed to speak any non-European language and especially native English speakers are not supposed to speak any foreign language at all.

Anyways...sorry for the derail, back to Polish.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby scott1328 » Jun 09, 2016 11:53 pm

Briton wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Like Dutch. :lol:

I know you can't answer this until you are released from your cell but I was surprised that Dutch is considered the easiest language for an English speaker to learn. At least that was what a Youtube video on the subject claimed.

I thought that was Canadian?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Fallible » Jun 10, 2016 7:54 am

Eh?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Other Languages