Reisbarkeit

Non-English threads go here. For linguistics please click here instead.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Reisbarkeit

#1  Postby natselrox » Aug 01, 2010 7:29 am

What does 'reisbarkeit' mean exactly? Is it 'irritability in general' or an 'undue sensitivity to noise'? :scratch:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Reisbarkeit

#2  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Aug 01, 2010 7:46 am

Translates as irritability but that might not be a precise translation. I think you need a German.

http://translate.google.com/#de|en|Reizbarkeit

Your spelling of it however translates to Rice Bar :lol:

http://translate.google.com/#de|en|reisbarkeit
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby natselrox » Aug 01, 2010 7:48 am

But Freud used the term to denote an 'undue sensitivity to noise.' Says 'Principles of Neurology' by Adams and Victor. :scratch:

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Lizard_King » Aug 01, 2010 8:29 am

CP is right, Reizbarkeit (with a "z") would translate to irritability, meaning a mood in which you get worked up and angry very easily.

Freud used the term in his description of the anxiety neurosis, which, according to him, has two major symptoms:

First of all, Allgemeine Reizbarkeit, or general irritability. The patient is nervous, edgy, and can't deal with too many things at the same time. Furthermore, and this is probably what you are referring to, natsel, the patient can show signs of hyperacusis (Gehörshyperästhesie in German), which can lead to insomnia.

The second major symptom would be ängstliche Erwartung, or fearful anticipation (could probably also be explained as catastrophizing, although that term doesn't fit exactly here). The patient always expects the worst and immediately thinks of lung cancer when he coughs, for example.

Here is the source, but unfortunately, it is in German. So enjoy. ;)

BTW: Yes, Reisbarkeit with a "s" would most accurately refer to the very essence of a rice bar, meaning the thing that makes a rice bar a rice bar, if you buy into this metaphysical stuff.
Last edited by Lizard_King on Aug 01, 2010 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Yet again it is demonstrated that monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents."
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#5  Postby natselrox » Aug 01, 2010 8:32 am

That really clears it up! Thanks, L_K! :cheers:

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Lizard_King » Aug 01, 2010 8:33 am

No problem, mate. :cheers:
"Yet again it is demonstrated that monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay of a hearsay, of an illusion of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents."
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#7  Postby natselrox » Aug 01, 2010 8:36 am

How's med-school going? You done yet?

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Lizard_King » Aug 01, 2010 8:48 am

natselrox wrote:How's med-school going? You done yet?

Nope, not done yet (I wish... ;) ). Finished my third year just a few weeks ago, so still three to go, but most of that theoretical stuff is over now, and soon (well, next year), I will be roaming the hallways of different hospitals in Vienna, wearing a white coat and trying my best to look like I know what I'm doing... ;)

How's it going for you? How many more years of university for you?
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#9  Postby natselrox » Aug 01, 2010 8:54 am

I finished my second year last month. The second year is the longest (almost 2 years :waah: ). Two more years of studying and then the internship for a year. Quite a long journey, this med-thingy!

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Lizard_King » Aug 01, 2010 9:00 am

Your second year lasts two years? :scratch:

Anyway, congrats on finishing that ominous, time-defying second year of yours. :cheers: :grin:

(I think I understand what you were saying, I just couldn't help myself but make a joke about it.
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#11  Postby natselrox » Aug 01, 2010 9:01 am

:lol:

Now I realise how funny it might have sounded! We are so used to saying it. :lol:

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Lizard_King » Aug 01, 2010 9:08 am

I guess time is just different in India... :dunno: :grin:
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#13  Postby natselrox » Aug 01, 2010 9:09 am

Nyah, we travel at the same uninteresting speed of 1 second per second. :D

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Lizard_King » Aug 01, 2010 9:14 am

:rofl:

We are officially not making sense anymore...
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#15  Postby natselrox » Aug 01, 2010 9:17 am

Just wait till we start talking about chronic suppurative otitis media! Which I am supposed to study now. :whine:

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Lizard_King » Aug 01, 2010 9:32 am

Lucky bastard. I have to go to a big family meeting (I think it's someone's birthday, too), and I would take ear pain and temporary unilateral loss of hearing over seeing my family any time...
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Blitzkrebs » Aug 01, 2010 10:21 pm

Ich konnte mich nicht stoppen, es zu tun. :mrgreen:
ikster7579 wrote:Being rational is just an excuse for not wanting to have faith.
Blitzkrebs

Name: Roy
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Lizard_King » Aug 02, 2010 11:09 am

Das sieht einfach nur ungesund aus... :nono: :grin:
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Mazille » Aug 02, 2010 11:32 am

Lizard_King wrote:
natselrox wrote:How's med-school going? You done yet?

Nope, not done yet (I wish... ;) ). Finished my third year just a few weeks ago, so still three to go, but most of that theoretical stuff is over now, and soon (well, next year), I will be roaming the hallways of different hospitals in Vienna, wearing a white coat and trying my best to look like I know what I'm doing... ;)

How's it going for you? How many more years of university for you?

Have fun being everyone's little bitch. :mrgreen: :cheers: Then again, you Viennese med students are used to that anyway.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Lizard_King » Aug 02, 2010 4:04 pm

Mazille wrote:
Have fun being everyone's little bitch. :mrgreen: :cheers: Then again, you Viennese med students are used to that anyway.

This is one of the situations where "Your mom"-jokes would be inappropriate, right? :ask:
- Christopher Hitchens
Lizard_King

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Other Languages