About time - completely re-usable plastic

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

About time - completely re-usable plastic

#1  Postby Macdoc » May 09, 2019 3:45 am

Plastic gets a do-over: Breakthrough discovery recycles plastic from the inside out
Scientists have made a next-generation plastic that can be recycled again and again into new materials of any color, shape, or form
Date:
May 7, 2019
Source:
DOE/Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Summary:
Researchers have designed a recyclable plastic that can be disassembled into its constituent parts at the molecular level, and then reassembled into a different shape, texture, and color again and again without loss of performance or quality.

Light yet sturdy, plastic is great -- until you no longer need it. Because plastics contain various additives, like dyes, fillers, or flame retardants, very few plastics can be recycled without loss in performance or aesthetics. Even the most recyclable plastic, PET -- or poly(ethylene terephthalate) -- is only recycled at a rate of 20-30%, with the rest typically going to incinerators or landfills, where the carbon-rich material takes centuries to decompose.

Now a team of researchers at the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) has designed a recyclable plastic that, like a Lego playset, can be disassembled into its constituent parts at the molecular level, and then reassembled into a different shape, texture, and color again and again without loss of performance or quality. The new material, called poly(diketoenamine), or PDK, was reported in the journal Nature Chemistry.

:clap:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 110452.htm
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: About time - completely re-usable plastic

#2  Postby tuco » May 09, 2019 5:24 am

That's more effective than this:

'Biodegradable' plastic bags survive three years in soil - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/newsbeat-48095482

as usual, yay for science indeed.
tuco

Print view this post

#3  Postby Macdoc » May 09, 2019 6:22 am

Biodegradeable still has a role as you do need garbage bags
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Hermit » May 09, 2019 6:29 am

Cost?

Glass is also completely reusable, but thousands of tons of it becomes landfill in Australia after being taken to recycling centres because it is cheaper to import brand new wine bottles, beer bottles, jam jars and so forth from Asian manufacturers.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby tuco » May 09, 2019 6:39 am

Reading their plans: https://newscenter.lbl.gov/2019/05/06/r ... nside-out/, I would assume they know what they are talking about, but yeah cost is always in question. They could also by hyping it for .. reasons, I guess.

However, monomer recovery is often costly, incompatible with complex mixtures and energy-intensive. Here, we show that next-generation plastics—polymerized using dynamic covalent diketoenamine bonds —allow the recovery of monomers from common additives, even in mixed waste streams. Poly(diketoenamine)s ‘click’ together from a wide variety of triketones and aromatic or aliphatic amines, yielding only water as a by-product.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41557-019-0249-2

I dunno wtf this means, with regard to cost. dynamic covalent diketoenamine bonds .. ok

As a side note or a joke perhaps .. 50 years ago we would read something like

Researchers have designed a new plastic that can be used in a variety of applications from water bottles, to shopping bags and straws.

yay for science, what could go wrong?! lol
tuco

Print view this post

#6  Postby aban57 » May 09, 2019 8:04 am

This won't prevent it from ending up in the oceans.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#7  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 09, 2019 12:18 pm

aban57 wrote:This won't prevent it from ending up in the oceans.

Or going to be "recycled" in Asia, which is roughly the same thing. I wonder how quickly the problem would be solved if it was made illegal to send your waste to another country.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby aban57 » May 09, 2019 12:24 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:

Or going to be "recycled" in Asia, which is roughly the same thing. I wonder how quickly the problem would be solved if it was made illegal to send your waste to another country.

Well everyone would just dump them in the nearest beach, or river, I guess.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Cito di Pense » May 09, 2019 1:19 pm

Hermit wrote:it is cheaper

There's your clue, all in words of one syllable, if you ddin't need to make comparisons. What does the comparison tell us?
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Hermit » May 09, 2019 4:45 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Hermit wrote:it is cheaper

There's your clue, all in words of one syllable, if you ddin't need to make comparisons. What does the comparison tell us?

I really don't know if you are trying to outdo aufbahrung now, but I do know that "cheaper" runs to two syllables even if you did need to make comparisons.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby tuco » May 12, 2019 3:25 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:

Governments agree landmark decisions to protect people and planet from hazardous chemicals and waste, including plastic waste

Pollution from plastic waste, acknowledged as a major environmental problem of global concern, has reached epidemic proportions with an estimated 100 million tonnes of plastic now found in the oceans, 80-90% of which comes from land-based sources1. Governments this week amended the Basel Convention to include plastic waste in a legally-binding framework which will make global trade in plastic waste more transparent and better regulated, whilst also ensuring that its management is safer for human health and the environment. At the same time, a new Partnership on Plastic Waste was established to mobilise business, government, academic and civil society resources, interests and expertise to assist in implementing the new measures, to provide a set of practical supports – including tools, best practices, technical and financial assistance - for this ground-breaking agreement.

http://www.brsmeas.org/?tabid=8005

---

Here the devil is in the details, I was not able to find yet. I guess, there is just agreement or commitment to willingness to do something about it?
tuco

Print view this post

#12  Postby Svartalf » May 13, 2019 10:10 am

Hermit wrote:Cost?

Glass is also completely reusable, but thousands of tons of it becomes landfill in Australia after being taken to recycling centres because it is cheaper to import brand new wine bottles, beer bottles, jam jars and so forth from Asian manufacturers.

well, that's the problem, by the time the recycling becomes economical, they won't know anymore where the used stuff was taken.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby juju7 » May 13, 2019 10:45 am

Svartalf wrote:
Hermit wrote:Cost?

well, that's the problem, by the time the recycling becomes economical, they won't know anymore where the used stuff was taken.

This is solved by taxing single use packaging
juju7

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Return to General Science & Technology