And we think we have issues with creationists !!!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

And we think we have issues with creationists !!!

#1  Postby Macdoc » Jan 07, 2019 7:31 am

Ouch

An Indian scientist has said Einstein's theories were "misleading"

Indian scientists have hit out at speakers at a major science conference for making irrational claims.
Some academics at the annual Indian Science Congress, inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, had dismissed the discoveries of Issac Newton and Albert Einstein.
They had also said ancient Hindus had invented stem cell research.
Hindu mythology and religion based theories have increasingly become part of the Indian Science Congress agenda.
But academics said remarks at this year's ongoing summit were even more astounding than usual.

The head of a southern Indian university cited an old Hindu text as proof that stem cell research was discovered in India thousands of years ago.

Cows to planes: Indian ministers who rewrote scientific history
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-41344136

G Nageshwar Rao, vice chancellor of Andhra University, also said a demon king from the Hindu religious epic, Ramayana, had 24 types of aircraft and a network of landing strips in modern-day Sri Lanka.

Another scientist from an university in the southern state of Tamil Nadu who was speaking at the conference said that Issac Newton and Albert Einstein were both wrong and that gravitational waves should be renamed as "Narendra Modi Waves".

Dr KJ Krishnan reportedly said Newton failed to "understand gravitational repulsive forces" and Einstein's theories were "misleading".

Critics said ancient texts are still to be read and enjoyed - but it was nonsense to suggest they were science.
The Indian Scientific Congress Association expressed "serious concern" at the remarks.

more - even worse

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46778879
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: And we think we have issues with creationists !!!

#2  Postby Alan B » Jan 07, 2019 4:42 pm

I read the Mahabharata (trans. P.C.Roy 1897) and the Ramayana years ago. And entertaining though they are, they are just stories and probably based on half-remembered real events and, just like many legends, embroidered out of all recognition to what might have actually happened.
To use any such stories as 'evidence' by so-called 'scientists' is ludicrous.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Evolving » Jan 07, 2019 5:01 pm

So I don't understand what is going on. Are these people actual scientists, and if so, how is it possible that they can say such things and apparently mean them?
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#4  Postby newolder » Jan 07, 2019 5:40 pm

https://andhrauniversity.edu.in

Shows a profile of Prof. Gollapalli Nageswara Rao, vice chancellor, different spelling to the OP. :scratch:
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Alan B » Jan 07, 2019 5:51 pm

I suppose some scientists can be devoutly religious...

The Hindu stories do contain some interesting ideas: The Vimana (a flying machine), the gods lived in palaces 'floating' in the Welkin, Indra's chariot flying through the air with the power of 10,000 horses, an explosive force set off by uttering a mantra (reading the handbook?) of which the light flash burnt only one side of the trees in the forest and the warriors knew they had to divest themselves of armour and wash in the nearest river, and so-on...

More entertaining than than the bible stuff.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Macdoc » Jan 07, 2019 7:04 pm

So I don't understand what is going on. Are these people actual scientists, and if so, how is it possible that they can say such things and apparently mean them?

We have our own set of cranks in the scientific ranks....even a few well placed who deny evolution, climate change etc

Roy Spencer - SourceWatch
https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Roy_Spencer
Oct 11, 2017 - 2.2 Opposition to evolution and embrace of "intelligent design" ... Spencer is an anthropogenic global warming denier who believes that climate ...

The worrisome one in the Indian article was the one in charge of education :roll: but I'm sure there are a fw IDers in charge of edu in the US as well. :nono:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Alan C » Jan 08, 2019 8:35 am

I thought it was just Fundy Muslim liars-for-mohammad that tried to shoehorn science into their book of mythological horseshit.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Blackadder » Jan 09, 2019 2:15 pm

Alan C wrote:I thought it was just Fundy Muslim liars-for-mohammad that tried to shoehorn science into their book of mythological horseshit.

Dear me no. There's a whole brand of Hindu fundies who are just as batshit crazy as the Muslims. And the BJP, which is in power in India, is a Hindu nationalist party, so it's hardly surprising that the fuckbrained ideas of some of their brethren are given semi-official encouragement.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby zulumoose » Jan 09, 2019 2:19 pm

I remember a few years back the minister of transport said he could not be blamed for the massive number of deaths on the rail and road systems in India because it was all under the control of the Hindu god of transport.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#10  Postby thinkerman » Jan 09, 2019 5:06 pm

Alan C wrote:I thought it was just Fundy Muslim liars-for-mohammad that tried to shoehorn science into their book of mythological horseshit.
Didn't know these specific cases of Hindu-believers, but I must say that I wasn't surprised at all. IMO it's clearly a cross-religious thing.
Whenever scientific facts or theories don't please them (e.g. evolution), believers tend to go out of their way to discredit or deny them.
But whenever they like something about science (such as the stem cell research that was mentioned), they try to claim priority for it.

And sure, when needed to extract those priorities from ancient texts, they're willing to use the same foolish read into-strategies that are used to make Nostradamus the predictor of everything.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn WAS-LX1A met Tapatalk
thinkerman

Name: Frederik D.
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#11  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jan 09, 2019 5:40 pm

What I've noticed about these sorts of "scholars" is that they're very good at taking something we already know, and then working back to show us how a particular religious text thought of it first. What they're not so good at is showing us something we don't already know about the issue using their religious texts and (presumably) winning a Nobel prize after it's proven to be correct. And I'm no expert on physics, but as I understand it, Einstein's theory is still pretty flawed in that it breaks down are certain points and therefore doesn't offer a complete understanding of how physics operates. Einstein was a great scientist so his achievements were great, but personally, I'd expect better from a god.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby thinkerman » Jan 09, 2019 6:48 pm

Of course, they always discover it first, but only afterwards...

thinkerman

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#13  Postby thinkerman » Jan 09, 2019 6:59 pm

zulumoose wrote:I remember a few years back the minister of transport said he could not be blamed for the massive number of deaths on the rail and road systems in India because it was all under the control of the Hindu god of transport.
Dafuq? That one would make a valid entry into the thread "What's the battiest thing you ever heard a believer say" (found elsewhere on this forum). I can only hope that sorry ass was pushed to resign...

thinkerman

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Return to General Science & Technology