Apple products suck

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Apple products suck

#261  Postby Tangerine Dream » Dec 21, 2017 11:51 pm

Quelle Surprise! Apple Rips Off Owners of Older iPhones
One of the reasons I have owned Apple desktop and laptop computers (once I finally had to abandon my NeXT) was that you could use them for longer than comparable Microsoft boxes (unless you were a hard core techie and very good at cannibalizing and reassembling parts). I used my TiBook for 8 1/2 years, and then a MacBook Air for 5 1/2 years, and probably could have eked another year out of it. That plus it requiring pretty much no tech support justified the high price.

Now Apple has knocked the foundations out from under the “longer potential product life” argument. While the Cupertino company admitted to misconduct only as far as older iPhones are concerned, it’s not hard to imagine that this extends to other products as well. Here is the overview from the Wall Street Journal, which gives only the official corporate-speak version:

Apple Inc., facing questions from users and tech analysts about reduced performance in older iPhones, acknowledged Wednesday that its latest software curtails the computing power of some models to prevent unexpected shutdowns..

The statement came two days after John Poole, founder of the computer-performance testing group Geekbench, wrote a blog post illustrating how iPhone computing performance slows as battery health declines on iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 devices.

Apple said that as iPhone batteries age, or in certain conditions such as cold weather or at low charge, they can struggle to respond to a phone’s power demands. This can cause the device to unexpectedly shut down to protect “its electronic components,” the company said.

Apple Inc., facing questions from users and tech analysts about reduced performance in older iPhones, acknowledged Wednesday that its latest software curtails the computing power of some models to prevent unexpected shutdowns.

It was a rare statement from the company that shed light on how Apple internally dealt with a growing user complaint.

The statement came two days after John Poole, founder of the computer-performance testing group Geekbench, wrote a blog post illustrating how iPhone computing performance slows as battery health declines on iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 devices.

Apple said that as iPhone batteries age, or in certain conditions such as cold weather or at low charge, they can struggle to respond to a phone’s power demands. This can cause the device to unexpectedly shut down to protect “its electronic components,” the company said.

If you believe Apple’s excuses, I have a bridge I’d like to sell you. First, Apple didn’t fess up to its practice until it was caught out. Second, if this “throttling” were a benefit to customers, as opposed to Apple, they’d tell you about it proudly. I don’t know about how rapidly newer phone batteries decay, but as a laptop owner, it’s something I anticipate and expect to have to manage around as my machine gets older. Or at least they could have allowed customers to opt out of this throttling feature.

Let’s be clear as to what Apple is doing: it deliberately downgrades older phones when you update your software. And since Apple (and Google) heretofore have never demonstrated undue concern about the impact of drained batteries on devices, it’s pretty obvious that the reason for selectively downgrading the performance of older devices is to speed replacements.

And further consider: if Apple had choked performance across the board, that might have been too obvious, as well as too difficult to rationalize if outsiders could prove it or an insider leaked.

Business Insider published a more consumer-oriented story, save consistently presenting users who were early to flag the performance problem as “conspiracy theorists”. Ahem, if anyone engaged in a conspiracy, it was Apple that was conspiring against its customers. But in this Best of All Possible Worlds that we inhabit, anyone who questions the established order must be a rabble rouser or crank, right?

Read more
If shit was worth something, poor people would be born with no asshole.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks instead of crosses."
Lenny Bruce
Tangerine Dream

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#262  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 21, 2017 11:53 pm

Speaking of phones, I find I have a pair of serviceable Sony Ericsson model J132 (European GSM bands) phones. They won't operate on American GSM networks. I used them on Belgacom, before I bought the iPhones. I've kept them charged over the years, and they still work.

Two basic GSM phones, in need of owners and SIMs, for the asking...

sony-ericsson-j132-1.jpg
Sony Ericsson J132
sony-ericsson-j132-1.jpg (52.27 KiB) Viewed 714 times
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#263  Postby Macdoc » Dec 22, 2017 12:20 am

Quelle Surprise! Apple Rips Off Owners of Older iPhones

pardon my laughter

Yves Smith aka Susan Webber

http://www.auroraadvisors.com/resume_webber.html

Just another Wallstreet Apple hater.....

Key performance parameter for phones is how long is battery life ...for the same reason, Apple dims the screens on laptop when not plugged in .....to prolong battery life....and kills the discrete video card when on battery power to prolong battery life FFS.... algorithms to balance an aging battery with speed makes all sorts of sense :nono: ....
funny the phone speeds back up with a fresh battery .....now why ever would that be?? :crazy:

There are numerous things Apple stuffs on ....High Sierra heavy push is one.....this battery thing is not. :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#264  Postby OlivierK » Dec 22, 2017 2:01 am

The_Metatron wrote:Seems like we've had members here mentioning something about apple stuff being too expensive, or something like that.

I bought our two iPhones model 4 not long after they were released in 2010. We used them until three years ago, when we bought our two iPhones model 6. That was four years of trouble free service.

And, I'm putting one of them back into service. It is working just fine, and the battery life appears normal to me. I've been playing with it as an internet browser for a few days, to give it some load.

I'm thinking we paid around EUR 600 apiece for the iPhone 4. Seven years later, it's the phone that just keeps working. The worst case scenario in the near future is I replace the battery for twenty bucks.

I'm such a cheap bastard.

If I paid EUR600 for a phone, I'd bloody well want it to work fine 4 years later. I've got a Samsung cheapie (a Galaxy Core Prime) that cost the equivalent of EUR100. Two and a bit years old, never missed a beat, does more than I need it to, although it would be nice to have a better camera. Still get great battery life, and see no reason it shouldn't still be going in another two years.

But yeah, my daughter has a hand-me-down iPhone4 and those things are indestructible (although as you say the inability to upgrade the operating system beyond a certain point puts a lot of apps out of reach - one of the reasons my daughter got it is that my wife, who was also phone shopping at the time it was given to us, couldn't run any of the apps she needed - like Evernote - on it).
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#265  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 22, 2017 3:27 am

I’d forgotten that I prefer the feel of the 4 in my hand better than the 6.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk.
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#266  Postby felltoearth » Dec 22, 2017 5:24 am

The_Metatron wrote:I’d forgotten that I prefer the feel of the 4 in my hand better than the 6.

That's why I went with the 5S.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#267  Postby Macdoc » Dec 22, 2017 3:20 pm

Yeah I prefer my 5
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#268  Postby laklak » Dec 22, 2017 3:20 pm

I'm going to try to resurrect my ancient iPod 160G. I tried a third party back up utility and it overwrote the operating system.

Anybody here ever try to load a different OS on one?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#269  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 22, 2017 3:39 pm

Why don't you just get a big-ass SD card for your phone? I lamented the death of my 120 gb ipod's hard drive until I realized I could buy a 128 gb SD card for less than the cost of fixing it.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#270  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 22, 2017 8:54 pm

The_Metatron wrote:Speaking of phones, I find I have a pair of serviceable Sony Ericsson model J132 (European GSM bands) phones. They won't operate on American GSM networks. I used them on Belgacom, before I bought the iPhones. I've kept them charged over the years, and they still work.

sony-ericsson-j132-1.jpg

Anybody?

Beuller?
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#271  Postby Macdoc » Dec 28, 2017 10:31 pm

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#272  Postby Blackadder » Dec 29, 2017 10:05 am

Looks like Apple has come clean about the power management tweaks to iOS and also decided to offer cheaper battery replacements. I've not noticed any degradation of my iPhone 6 but it's good to know that if (when?) the battery needs replacing, it will cost me a whole lot less.

Power management software can only ever be a useful thing in modern power hungry devices, so it seems nuts that Apple didn't publicise this when they introduced it into the iOS. Maybe they thought it would be better not to bring it to everyone's attention and cause a shitstorm? If so, it was a stupid decision, as the shitstorm is always greater when the public discovers it for themselves. And they can't seriously have thought, "oh no-one will notice the phone slowing down."

Still, it gives the APPLE is EVIL believers out there another conspiracy to froth over.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#273  Postby NineBerry » Jan 12, 2018 10:40 am

Downgrading from iOS 11 was possible for a short time (because of a bug in Apple software):

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/tech-news/po ... 459375.cms
https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/10/users-ab ... om-ios-11/

:mrgreen:
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#274  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Feb 13, 2018 11:52 am

The_Metatron wrote:Speaking of phones, I find I have a pair of serviceable Sony Ericsson model J132 (European GSM bands) phones. They won't operate on American GSM networks. I used them on Belgacom, before I bought the iPhones. I've kept them charged over the years, and they still work.

sony-ericsson-j132-1.jpg

I’d take one, I‘m in LA end of march.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )

when you chop off your neighbours head and use it as a vase, you can call it 'culture'.
it's called civilisation is when this gets you jailed for the rest of your live.
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#275  Postby felltoearth » Feb 13, 2018 2:20 pm

That's probably about as close to Portland as you are to Prague.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#276  Postby The_Metatron » Feb 13, 2018 4:27 pm

Agi Hammerthief wrote:

sony-ericsson-j132-1.jpg

I’d take one, I‘m in LA end of march.

I still have them. Give me an address to post them, and they’re yours.

I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Science & Technology