Apple products suck

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Apple products suck

#281  Postby felltoearth » Dec 12, 2018 4:23 pm

LucidFlight wrote:Sweeeeeet.

By the way, I don't wish to alarm you or anything, but you have 1,549 unread emails.

All forum notifications :mrgreen:
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#282  Postby scott1328 » Dec 12, 2018 4:50 pm

felltoearth wrote:
LucidFlight wrote:Sweeeeeet.

By the way, I don't wish to alarm you or anything, but you have 1,549 unread emails.

All forum notifications :mrgreen:

Don't tell Alan B that
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#283  Postby Fallible » Dec 13, 2018 6:54 am

:tehe:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#284  Postby felltoearth » Dec 13, 2018 12:50 pm

Alan B if you are reading this, don’t read this.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#285  Postby Animavore » Dec 13, 2018 6:23 pm

But can it play Crysis 3? :ask:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#286  Postby felltoearth » Dec 13, 2018 6:40 pm

Animavore wrote:But can it play Crysis 3? :ask:

I hate FPS on tablets. Doom sucks on iOS.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#287  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 13, 2018 6:48 pm

Is Doom still around? We used play it on the company's LAN in the 90's.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#288  Postby Animavore » Dec 13, 2018 7:24 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Animavore wrote:But can it play Crysis 3? :ask:

I hate FPS on tablets. Doom sucks on iOS.

I can't imagine playing that way.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#289  Postby Animavore » Dec 13, 2018 7:27 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Is Doom still around? We used play it on the company's LAN in the 90's.

DOOM was 25 years old on the 10th.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#290  Postby Animavore » Dec 13, 2018 7:31 pm

New DOOM game coming next year.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#291  Postby tuco » Feb 11, 2021 10:04 pm

My niece just asked me for advice about Macs. I don't have a clue and nowhere else to ask.

She has iPhone (does it matter?), she has a budget of around $1200, she is not gonna use it for work but school, net(flix), not games. She would like to spend as little as possible. She was saying something about MacBook 2020 (wtf is that) and difference between i3 and i5 (ok).

Can you help me here? Thanks in advance.
tuco

Print view this post

#292  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 11, 2021 10:36 pm

tuco wrote:My niece just asked me for advice about Macs. I don't have a clue and nowhere else to ask.

She has iPhone (does it matter?), she has a budget of around $1200, she is not gonna use it for work but school, net(flix), not games. She would like to spend as little as possible. She was saying something about MacBook 2020 (wtf is that) and difference between i3 and i5 (ok).

Can you help me here? Thanks in advance.

Apple have just started a major change and are switching from Intel processors to making their own. So if she wants one, make sure she gets one with an M1 processor. Luckily, they've put these processors in their cheapest models first, and the M1 Macbooks usually outperform the more expensive Intel ones. Personally I'd just get (and did) the base model Macbook Air. It's $1000, which is extremely cheap for the performance you get (especially when you consider that it doesn't even need a fan, so runs completely silently - trust me, you don't know what you're missing with this). Having said all that, if I was just buying a computer for a bit of school work, I don't know if I'd bother spending a grand on a computer at all.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#293  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Feb 12, 2021 12:45 am

Fucking hell not this thread.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#294  Postby The_Piper » Feb 12, 2021 3:06 am

I bought a new Windows one for $600 with a solid state hard drive. I wish I did this 5 years ago, it's lightning fast booting up, and fast enough for me at web, pritning, file explorer, things like that. If I wanted to play modern games a new video card would probably do the trick.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#295  Postby BlackBart » Feb 12, 2021 7:10 am

A £300 Chromebook will happily run Netflix, Youtube and anything you're likely to need for schoolwork. Add a refurb PS4 for games to that and you've still got a couple of hundred quid change. As IWS said, unless you want to edit videos or any other serious number crunching a Mac is overkill.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#296  Postby tuco » Feb 12, 2021 7:14 am

She is 16, she wants to be in style, I guess, and she was working for the money. So base model with M1 if possible. Thanks, guys. I was hoping for Macdoc to sell me something :) but this will do.

I will try to talk to her about Chromebook because it will indeed do the jobs she needs to be done, I thought.

---
edit: is there anything to be gained from having iPhone and Macbook? Is it same platform like Windows phone (thats a thing right?) and PC or its irrelevant these days. For file transfers and I dunno what. She also has some headphones for iPhone, specialized I think.
tuco

Print view this post

#297  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 12, 2021 8:20 am

tuco wrote:She is 16, she wants to be in style, I guess, and she was working for the money. So base model with M1 if possible. Thanks, guys. I was hoping for Macdoc to sell me something :) but this will do.

I will try to talk to her about Chromebook because it will indeed do the jobs she needs to be done, I thought.

---
edit: is there anything to be gained from having iPhone and Macbook? Is it same platform like Windows phone (thats a thing right?) and PC or its irrelevant these days. For file transfers and I dunno what. She also has some headphones for iPhone, specialized I think.

I think there are certain things like Airdrop that make it a bit more seamless, but overall I don't think it makes much difference nowadays. A lot of stuff that's advertised as being for Mac is bollocks. It will work fine on anything, they just put "for Mac" and make it white, and then they can charge more for it. I've got a Logitech mouse and I bought the Windows one because it was cheaper. It works fine on both systems.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#298  Postby Challenger007 » Feb 12, 2021 11:28 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:
tuco wrote:She is 16, she wants to be in style, I guess, and she was working for the money. So base model with M1 if possible. Thanks, guys. I was hoping for Macdoc to sell me something :) but this will do.

---

I think there are certain things like Airdrop that make it a bit more seamless, but overall I don't think it makes much difference nowadays. A lot of stuff that's advertised as being for Mac is bollocks. It will work fine on anything, they just put "for Mac" and make it white, and then they can charge more for it. I've got a Logitech mouse and I bought the Windows one because it was cheaper. It works fine on both systems.

It seems to me that a lot of Apple gadgets are overrated. They seem to be quite good in terms of parameters, and quite reliable, but there are gadgets from other brands that work no worse, but are significantly cheaper. So why pay extra for a logo?
Challenger007

Name: Alex Johnson

United States (us)
Print view this post

#299  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 12, 2021 1:38 pm

Challenger007 wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:

---

It seems to me that a lot of Apple gadgets are overrated. They seem to be quite good in terms of parameters, and quite reliable, but there are gadgets from other brands that work no worse, but are significantly cheaper. So why pay extra for a logo?

Mine was cheaper than the almost brand new Windows laptop it replaced and outperforms it in benchmarks (despite being silent, having a better screen, touchpad and 4 times longer battery life). With Intel ones I'd agree with you, which is why I'd never bought one until now, but the new M1 processors are actually pretty good value for money. Dunno about iPhones. I've never spent more than $150 on a phone because I only use them for the basics. I'd also generally avoid all of the overpriced official peripherals.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#300  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Feb 12, 2021 8:54 pm

Challenger007 wrote:It seems to me that a lot of Apple gadgets are overrated. They seem to be quite good in terms of parameters, and quite reliable, but there are gadgets from other brands that work no worse, but are significantly cheaper. So why pay extra for a logo?

you also pay for that seamless interaction.
I got iPhone, iPad, Mac and my iPod pro just go from one to the other without interruption.
The stuff is designed to interact with each other nearly perfectly.

At work I‘m on a windows machine, I‘m happy to not have the same shit at home.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )

meh
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology