Apple products suck

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Tips and tricks for Mac users

#1  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 15, 2017 9:43 pm

My machine does not exist in the Mac world.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 40139
Age: 69
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Tips and tricks for Mac users

#2  Postby Fallible » Oct 16, 2017 5:19 am

You're in the wrong thread then.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 46716
Age: 45
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Tips and tricks for Mac users

#3  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 16, 2017 5:24 pm

No Mac never allowed you to do anything. Open the machine up and bingo it would not work anymore.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 40139
Age: 69
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Tips and tricks for Mac users

#4  Postby Blackadder » Oct 16, 2017 6:40 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:No Mac never allowed you to do anything. Open the machine up and bingo it would not work anymore.


:grin:
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
User avatar
Blackadder
RS Donator
 
Posts: 3436
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Tips and tricks for Mac users

#5  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 17, 2017 7:36 am

Macdoc wrote:As usual Scot you have no idea what you are talking about ... :nono:
Just shit disturbing per usual

••••

Apple removed Disk permission repair from Disc Util :yuk: ....this works the charm tho.

Open Terminal
paste in diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`


I am talking about the 90's and up till Jobs death in 2011. You have just said it yourself Apple removed the Disk permission. You could not do anything to the machine as Jobs had declared it perfect.
Can you replace an iPhone battery or add an extra memory chip?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 40139
Age: 69
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Tips and tricks for Mac users

#6  Postby VazScep » Oct 17, 2017 7:40 am

I use a distro called NixOS, but the package manager can be used on any Linux and on Mac. Google Nix package manager.

This package manager doesn't need you to be root to install anything. Everything a user installs goes into its own environment, so as not to clobber other user installs. If users happen to want the same package installed, it will be shared between them. If users need incompatible versions of the same package installed, both will be installed without screwing up any dependency graphs.Users are prevented from borking the system because the package manager runs as a daemon with root privileges. Even so, software is built by a special non privileged user before being copied into the isolated environment by the daemon, so the system is protected from broken installers. Finally, with packages so isolated, no junk is left behind by uninstalling or obliterating nix entirely.

It's a pity you folk are still using outdated UNIX practices which cripple users by requiring root for non root tasks. But then, I hear your machines are quite shiny. (snark aside, I advise any mac devs to install and have a play with nix. It will happily sit alongside the rest of your Mac software)
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep
 
Posts: 4590

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Tips and tricks for Mac users

#7  Postby monkeyboy » Oct 17, 2017 7:45 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Can you replace an iPhone battery or add an extra memory chip?

You sure can replace batteries. A simple Google search will find you the kit and youtube will puppy walk you through the procedure. Sure it's not as simple as on some phones and will bollocks your warranty but it's doable.

My Sony experia won't let me in to change battery because it's all water sealed, unless I buy the kit and crack the seal. It ain't just apple being all precious. It's design led innovation making phones do clever shit like letting you drop them down toilets without killing the phone like you used to.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
User avatar
monkeyboy
 
Posts: 5444
Male

Country: England
England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Tips and tricks for Mac users

#8  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 17, 2017 7:48 am

In the office my machine was never closed as I was always changing and adding to it. Things were changing so fast then and my company never made any problem about what we bought. We had also a couple of standard machines to test on. You could never do that with Apple.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 40139
Age: 69
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Tips and tricks for Mac users

#9  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 17, 2017 8:00 am

Jobs was paranoid about security. Here is a little article about working for Apple:

NEVER MIND THE DEATH THREATS: An Apple Store worker tells us what it's really like working for Apple

Apple is notorious for its secrecy and the length it will go in order to prevent leaks about its products. But fewer people know that the secrecy extends all the way down to its Apple Store retail staff, too. Every salesperson in a blue Apple T-shirt signs a confidentiality agreement from their first day on the job, which bans them from speaking publicly. They can't even mention it on Facebook, or take a selfie with their Apple T-shirt on.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 40139
Age: 69
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Tips and tricks for Mac users

#10  Postby BlackBart » Oct 17, 2017 8:16 am

monkeyboy wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Can you replace an iPhone battery or add an extra memory chip?

You sure can replace batteries. A simple Google search will find you the kit and youtube will puppy walk you through the procedure. Sure it's not as simple as on some phones and will bollocks your warranty but it's doable.

My Sony experia won't let me in to change battery because it's all water sealed, unless I buy the kit and crack the seal. It ain't just apple being all precious. It's design led innovation making phones do clever shit like letting you drop them down toilets without killing the phone like you used to.


Yup, same with my Samsung and most recent Androids are as problematic as iPhones when it comes to replacing batteries. As to extra memory, I've still only used about 11% of my elderly 60Gig iPod and that's a whole week of music.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
User avatar
BlackBart
 
Posts: 11230
Age: 56
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Tips and tricks for Mac users

#11  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 17, 2017 5:39 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:In the office my machine was never closed as I was always changing and adding to it. Things were changing so fast then and my company never made any problem about what we bought. We had also a couple of standard machines to test on. You could never do that with Apple.

Jesus. Why the hell would you want to?

I’ve worked as an IT engineer professionally since before it was called IT.

Clearly, your office never heard of the concept of configuration control. Unless your work is nothing but fucking around with computers, that isn’t what the rest of the business world does with them. Time fucking around with employees’ computers isn’t time they spend working.


Sent from my completely solar powered iPad using Tapatalk
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 20292
Age: 55
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Tips and tricks for Mac users

#12  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 17, 2017 5:53 pm

BlackBart wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Can you replace an iPhone battery or add an extra memory chip?

You sure can replace batteries. A simple Google search will find you the kit and youtube will puppy walk you through the procedure. Sure it's not as simple as on some phones and will bollocks your warranty but it's doable.

My Sony experia won't let me in to change battery because it's all water sealed, unless I buy the kit and crack the seal. It ain't just apple being all precious. It's design led innovation making phones do clever shit like letting you drop them down toilets without killing the phone like you used to.

Yup, same with my Samsung and most recent Androids are as problematic as iPhones when it comes to replacing batteries. As to extra memory, I've still only used about 11% of my elderly 60Gig iPod and that's a whole week of music.

Yeah, battery reliability has improved dramatically, so much so that it injects more failures into the system to make them user-replaceable, than it does to hardware them into the device.

They don’t do this for fun, or to fuck with people. They do it because it’s a quantifiable and real benefit to reliability.

For fuck sakes, my two original iPhone 4 phones still work just fine. We upgraded to the iPhone 6, but I kept the old ones. I pop them onto a charger every few months, to keep the batteries from full self-discharge. Anyone need one?

As for memory, looks like there are three models of iMac that don’t have user replaceable memory. Most do. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201191. I crammed my iMacs with all the ram they would hold. That’s all I’ve ever done to “upgrade” them. I didn’t bother to measure memory utilization to see if any running applications were running short. RAM isn’t expensive.

This sort of defense of one’s choices of toys, is getting pretty fucking old, Scot. Why don’t you go start a topic to discuss your hatred? This topic exists to share tips and tricks.


Sent from my completely solar powered iPad using Tapatalk
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 20292
Age: 55
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Tips and tricks for Mac users

#13  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 17, 2017 5:54 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:In the office my machine was never closed as I was always changing and adding to it. Things were changing so fast then and my company never made any problem about what we bought. We had also a couple of standard machines to test on. You could never do that with Apple.

Jesus. Why the hell would you want to?

I’ve worked as an IT engineer professionally since before it was called IT.

Clearly, your office never heard of the concept of configuration control. Unless your work is nothing but fucking around with computers, that isn’t what the rest of the business world does with them. Time fucking around with employees’ computers isn’t time they spend working.


Sent from my completely solar powered iPad using Tapatalk


This was in the very beginning. Who had a LAN in those days? We were not a software house. You are talking twenty years down the line. My work was development. They were glory days. "In the land of the blind, one eye was king".
So I had a great and easy time. Profits were there for the taking. Plenty of people looking for this new fangled software. If you were really into computers at the very beginning you would understand Jesse.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 40139
Age: 69
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Tips and tricks for Mac users

#14  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 17, 2017 6:02 pm

So Jesse you love to waste money. Like Macs in the beginning a waste of time. Our graphic designer wanted a Mac because that was what cool graphic designers used. It was a pain in the arse. Always problems. Getting it to work in a LAN was pure hell. All those DOS machines. It gave up and for a third of the price the graphics designer got a superior Windows machine.

These were not toys Jesse that is what Macs were toys for the digiliteral. Jobs was a great showman and Microsoft could not touch him. He was a snake-oil salesman. Who would buy an inferior machine for double the price? A Mac user.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls


"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Scot Dutchy
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 40139
Age: 69
Male

Country: Nederland
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Tips and tricks for Mac users

#15  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 17, 2017 6:16 pm

Let’s end this:

If you can show some studies comparing total cost of ownership, we can pick up that discussion. In another god damned topic.


Sent from my completely solar powered iPad using Tapatalk
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 20292
Age: 55
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Tips and tricks for Mac users

#16  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:In the office my machine was never closed as I was always changing and adding to it. Things were changing so fast then and my company never made any problem about what we bought. We had also a couple of standard machines to test on. You could never do that with Apple.

Jesus. Why the hell would you want to?

I’ve worked as an IT engineer professionally since before it was called IT.

Clearly, your office never heard of the concept of configuration control. Unless your work is nothing but fucking around with computers, that isn’t what the rest of the business world does with them. Time fucking around with employees’ computers isn’t time they spend working.


Sent from my completely solar powered iPad using Tapatalk


This was in the very beginning. Who had a LAN in those days? We were not a software house. You are talking twenty years down the line. My work was development. They were glory days. "In the land of the blind, one eye was king".
So I had a great and easy time. Profits were there for the taking. Plenty of people looking for this new fangled software. If you were really into computers at the very beginning you would understand Jesse.

Being into them and operating enterprise IT networks are not the same thing.

You ever try to support 4000 desktop computers on a campus LAN?


Sent from my completely solar powered iPad using Tapatalk
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 20292
Age: 55
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Apple products suck

#17  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 17, 2017 6:23 pm

Here’s where anyone can tell us how much they hate Apple products, and maybe why.

Have fun.


Sent from my completely solar powered iPad using Tapatalk
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 20292
Age: 55
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Apple products suck

#18  Postby UncertainSloth » Oct 17, 2017 6:59 pm

oh, excellent

i hate apple products....i hate iphones, i tunes, ipads and macs....both at home and in school

i also hate windows phones...

all my reasons are petty, small and probably only irritants to me and me alone...but i'm glad i;m not alone...
i guess i could be a quiet hero
no one knows the good i've done

e
User avatar
UncertainSloth
 
Posts: 2829
Age: 45
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Apple products suck

#19  Postby Fallible » Oct 17, 2017 7:09 pm

Pff. What is it you've got again?
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 46716
Age: 45
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Apple products suck

#20  Postby UncertainSloth » Oct 17, 2017 7:12 pm

laptop, pc and android phone

you know perfectly well the complete annoyance itunes and its stupid finicky arsebiscuits is for me...when i can do the same job in seconds with wmp....stupid fucking waste of fucking space and time
i guess i could be a quiet hero
no one knows the good i've done

e
User avatar
UncertainSloth
 
Posts: 2829
Age: 45
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Science & Technology

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest