Are we falling behind in Math and Science?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Are we falling behind in Math and Science?

#1  Postby EricBoss » May 04, 2018 10:00 pm

Is the Western world falling behind when it comes to technology and infrastructure?

Compared to the recent developments in the Middle East (Dubai, Qatar, etc) and East Asia like South Korea (Totally turned around in 20 years or so . . .), Taiwan (Incredible subway system), Hong Kong and Shanghai, are we not interested in Technology any more?

There hasn't really been anything interesting happening in the US. Hate to say it but Trump is right about our airports being outdated and the subway or bus systems / transportation in most states is kind of old.

Maybe we're still ahead on the internet with Social Media (Facebook, Instagram, etc) and even the democratization of online education (Khan Academy, Study Pug, Lynda but is there away to see any 'tangible' or 'quantify' results from these?

When was the last time we built any thing that was the longest or tallest in the world? Anything physical or tangible?

Is like after the iPhone or Apple brand, we all went to sleep . . .

Proud to see the rest of the world doing amazing things but shouldn't we be right up there with them? Heck even leading the race?
EricBoss

Name: Eric LeClair

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Are we falling behind in Math and Science?

#2  Postby felltoearth » May 05, 2018 12:52 am

You saw that we landed on a comet right?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby felltoearth » May 05, 2018 12:53 am

Discovered the existence of Gravity Waves
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Shagz » May 05, 2018 3:48 am

Let me guess... "therefore, MAGA?"

Countries like UAE and Qatar are tiny countries with tiny populations but with more oil wealth than they know what to do with. They are also far from perfect in their own way, I'm sure.

I have been to Hong Kong and South Korea. Hong Kong has quite a lot of poverty, and South Korea has problems of its own. Shanghai no doubt is a fascinating city, but surely has massive problems of its own, as does all of the PRC.

I'm also having trouble making a connection between the thread title and the content of the OP.
Shagz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Dynalon » May 06, 2018 1:29 am

I think overestimating the rationality and science-mindedness of East Asians happens far too often. It's something YouTube atheist (and weeaboo) NonStampCollector is guilty of when he speaks so highly of Japan. Have you ever seen the A, B, AB and O emojis on your phone (or elsewhere)? Ever wonder why blood types have been promoted to emojis? It's because of a pseudoscientific theory that blood type influences personality which apparently still has wide currency in Japan (and indeed elsewhere in East Asia). Korea has fan death and China, well, China, my God, where to begin? (Here is one possible start.)

Patently false beliefs that are in wider currency in the West and particularly America, like Biblical literalist creationism, are not so common in East Asia, but believe me when I say that these people can come up with ones that are every bit as retarded.

Superior infrastructure is another issue though. There are areas where East Asia is clearly superior to the West (particularly America) but that can be overhyped too. I remember when people where oohing and aahing about the Shanghai Transrapid maglev line and comparing it unfavorably to Amtrak. However, this is the modal locomotive engine in China:

Let's also not forget that a city like Beijing is barely fit for human habitation owing to its horrendous air quality.
Dynalon

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby LucidFlight » May 06, 2018 10:06 am

The China Railways DF4B, manufactured by CRRC Ziyang. I believe they supplied SCT Logistics (Australia) with a few of their locomotives back in 2011.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Luv
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Dynalon » May 06, 2018 4:40 pm

LucidFlight wrote:The China Railways DF4B, manufactured by CRRC Ziyang. I believe they supplied SCT Logistics (Australia) with a few of their locomotives back in 2011.

Perhaps, but in any case, these locomotives are capable, if dowdy. Like I said, one (not you at all necessarily) has played up the strengths of Chinese rail against its weaknesses or, really, rather, its mediocrities.

(Forgive me if I am making no sense; I am really very drunk.)
Dynalon

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby EricBoss » May 09, 2018 5:33 pm

Well China / Hong Kong is still upcoming - Long ways to go . . . South Korea is a phenomenal example. Most recently for me was Taipei. Absolutely stunned on how massive and modern their transit system is.
EricBoss

Name: Eric LeClair

Print view this post

#9  Postby Thommo » May 09, 2018 5:39 pm

Is it surprising that transit systems built within the last few years are modern, but infrastructure built a century ago isn't?

I'm not sure how that connects to Maths and Science education.
Thommo

Print view this post

#10  Postby LucidFlight » May 09, 2018 6:09 pm

Dynalon wrote:
LucidFlight wrote:The China Railways DF4B, manufactured by CRRC Ziyang. I believe they supplied SCT Logistics (Australia) with a few of their locomotives back in 2011.

Perhaps, but in any case, these locomotives are capable, if dowdy. Like I said, one (not you at all necessarily) has played up the strengths of Chinese rail against its weaknesses or, really, rather, its mediocrities.

(Forgive me if I am making no sense; I am really very drunk.)

Apparently, the upper part of the China Railway logo is meant to be a representation of the Chinese character, 人 (rén), meaning human or people. Bit of a stretch, if you ask me.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Luv
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Matt_B » May 09, 2018 10:27 pm

I'd think the big problem with US infrastructure is that there's simply no money in the public purse for it. Big business and the rich pay very little tax there and military spending eats up a huge chunk of the budget, at least in comparison with Western Europe which generally has very good infrastructure, so most of the financing is left to the private sector who base their decisions on profitability rather than utility. The result is that the US has some fantastic toll roads, and other such easy wins, but nobody's really figured out how to turn much of a profit from, say, a decent rail network or airport. Countries with good ones tend to run them at a loss for a combination of public good and national prestige.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Wenlok » May 11, 2018 1:31 am

I disagree, i believe that the quality of our discoveries and innovations are what truly matter, not the amount. I see it as the rest of the world is understanding more through our help, and that is what allows them to achieve such amazing achievements. I think the US is doing a fine job in educating the rest of the world, but then again discoveries are claimed by Man kind, not a single nation.
Wenlok

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to General Science & Technology