Buying a pushbike

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Buying a pushbike

#21  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 10, 2018 8:05 am

I personally would never cycle on roads and so would restrict myself to just pavements or dirt tracks
I do not have a bike because I prefer walking to cycling which is both easier and safer. Now if you do
get a bike you must cycle regularly. Or it will have been a waste of time buying one in the first place
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 10, 2018 8:20 am

I only leave the house two days a week but if I had to walk every day I would
I can walk up to seven miles a day and walking is second nature to me and so
distance is not a problem since I have been doing it now for over thirty years
So I could easily do one hour forty every day as it would be four to five miles
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#23  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 10, 2018 5:41 pm

Helmets.

I disapprove of riding without a helmet. No evidence based reason exists to fail to wear one.

A little over five years ago, I documented the one that saved my life right here on this forum: http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post1 ... l#p1475356

Get one you like, wear it properly, all the time. Something will eventually kill you, to be sure. It doesn’t have to be stupidity that kills you.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 11, 2018 11:42 am

Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Buying a pushbike

#25  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 11, 2018 4:47 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Helmets are frowned upon here.

Why are Dutch cyclists more likely to be injured if they wear helmets?

Their main point there is that injured helmeted cyclists are engaging in riskier cycling (racing, etc).

What they utterly fail to compare is injury risk between helmeted and non-helmeted riders within the same risk group (racers, etc).

So, yeah. Typical cycling in the Netherlands is pretty low risk, by design. Nowhere I’ve seen on earth enjoys a similar quality of cycling infrastructure. The well designed Dutch cycling system works as designed. Well done. KIR doesn’t live there though, does he?

The problem the rest of the cycling world has is we don’t have that well designed cycling infrastructure. For us, cycling is inherently more risky.

Bearing those infrastructure differences in mind, realizing that KIR’s risks while cycling in traffic are unquestionably higher than they would be on some nice Dutch cycling paths, he would be wise to mitigate those risks.

Another thing I found in that web site was a discussion on the strong correlation between alcohol use and head injuries while cycling. Would it be well considered of me to advise him otherwise, knowing his tendency to use alcohol from time to time?

My advice to KIR is well supported.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 11, 2018 5:08 pm

I would not cycle if I needed headgear. I know I am talking from a point of luxury. We are fortunate here but cycle helmets dont stop other injuries which can be just as devastating. It is not as if you playing a sport which you know when you start out what the risks are. This is everyday life and if you have to take these sort risks I would have a good scratch behind my ear and ask is it worth it.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#27  Postby The_Piper » Mar 11, 2018 6:05 pm

When I ride in busy areas I usually wear a reflective yellow or orange vest like the road crews wear. If I have one I'll hang a bright orange streamer from my traffic-side handlebar.
I sometimes wear a helmet, which I'm going to do more often now. That's my weakest link. Aside from getting run over by a bus, of course. :shifty:
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 11, 2018 6:45 pm

I often do you cycle?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#29  Postby kiore » Mar 12, 2018 3:59 am

If you are worried about a flashy bike being attractive to thieves, why not go for a 2nd hand one that has been fixed up? Make sure it has a crappy paint job and the high end bits and pieces as subtle as possible,
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby The_Piper » Mar 12, 2018 7:05 pm

kiore wrote:If you are worried about a flashy bike being attractive to thieves, why not go for a 2nd hand one that has been fixed up? Make sure it has a crappy paint job and the high end bits and pieces as subtle as possible,

I noticed in NYC, the vast majority of bikes locked in public are scratched and chipped. My nice red bike was nearly mint before riding it there. It still looks good but has a bunch of little chips and scratches now. :doh:
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby The_Piper » Mar 12, 2018 7:09 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:I often do you cycle?

It varies. Generally one to ten times a month. I only ride in busy areas when on trips and stuff. Not too many busy areas in northern Maine. We're covered in snow 5 or 6 months out of the year, so I don't ride during that time. I actually have a pair of studded bicycle tires for snow, but that doesn't help when the snow is measured in feet of course. :lol:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#32  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 12, 2018 11:51 pm

The_Piper wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:I often do you cycle?

It varies. Generally one to ten times a month. I only ride in busy areas when on trips and stuff. Not too many busy areas in northern Maine. We're covered in snow 5 or 6 months out of the year, so I don't ride during that time. I actually have a pair of studded bicycle tires for snow, but that doesn't help when the snow is measured in feet of course. :lol:

I always wanted to try those tires on snow and ice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Science & Technology