Buying a pushbike

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Buying a pushbike

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 09, 2018 12:26 am

I'm doing it on Tuesday I think. Been without one for around 6 weeks and enough is enough. I'm thoroughly ashamed to say that my last few have been, erm, not new ones, shall we say, but that type of behaviour is firmly behind me now and I think I've found a nice new one within budget. Here she is:

Apollo Phaze

I'm going to order one from Halfords and hopefully they'll agree to fit mudguards for me too when it arrives (if, indeed, they don'y have one in stock already). The most important feature for me is a lightweight aluminium frame, and I'm glad I kept browsing until I found this one at such a reasonable price-point. The issue I'm vacillating on is how much to spend on a lock - it's gonna be a D lock of some kind because word has it that they're generally impervious bar serious invasive automated hardware - but should I get the cheapest one available (£12) or fork out for a mid-range one (£25)? Another appealing feature of this bike is that it's not too bloody nice (eg. it's only an Apollo; just 18 gears; no disk brakes etc) so hopefully it won't be too much of a tempting target for any would be thieves...

I'm so bloody excited I can't wait for Tuesday! :P
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Buying a pushbike

#2  Postby laklak » Mar 09, 2018 1:51 am

You know you don't have to push it, you can spin those pedal things around with your feet and it goes a lot faster.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 09, 2018 2:45 am

Pushbike as opposed to motor bike; that's what they're called round my endz anyway IMO TBH fam :lol:
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 09, 2018 2:48 am

Woops; wrong thread really...
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#5  Postby LucidFlight » Mar 09, 2018 8:25 am

Keep It Real wrote:The issue I'm vacillating on is how much to spend on a lock - it's gonna be a D lock of some kind because word has it that they're generally impervious bar serious invasive automated hardware - but should I get the cheapest one available (£12) or fork out for a mid-range one (£25)?

General advice is that cheaper locks are a false economy. That said, in addition to my D-lock, I have a cheap-ish (£9) cable lock for my mid-range hybrid, which I find does the job and is a lot less hassle to use and carry (even though I have a frame mount for the D-lock). It depends on where you're storing or locking your bike, I guess. Anyway, even if it's just an Apollo, perhaps go with the £25 D-lock.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Luv
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby NineBerry » Mar 09, 2018 10:06 am

A good lock costs 100 Euro.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Fenrir » Mar 09, 2018 10:24 am

The issue I'm vacillating on is how much to spend on a lock - it's gonna be a D lock of some kind because word has it that they're generally impervious bar serious invasive automated hardware -

Ha. That's funny.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby zulumoose » Mar 09, 2018 10:32 am

Look at images of what NYC bike couriers use, seems to be mostly a smallish D lock with about a meter of heavy chain. Chain can always be wrapped to prevent paint damage.

You know what they say about NYC, If you can't steal it there you can't steal it anywhere....
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#9  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 09, 2018 4:52 pm

This is a well thought out bike locking article, from Sheldon Brown: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 09, 2018 4:55 pm

When I need a lock, I use one of these:

Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Bicycle U-Lock

406B4B3F-7079-4137-B492-4CBA55A9081E.jpeg
406B4B3F-7079-4137-B492-4CBA55A9081E.jpeg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 638 times

Link: http://amzn.eu/1F5iZ14
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 09, 2018 4:58 pm

The_Metatron wrote:When I need a lock, I use one of these:

Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Bicycle U-Lock

406B4B3F-7079-4137-B492-4CBA55A9081E.jpeg

Link: http://amzn.eu/1F5iZ14

That lock, like any, will yield to an angle grinder or cutting torch. I’ve seen it picked once by a locksmith. But, no street punk will possess that level of lock picking skills.

Your goal is to take longer to steal than every other bike nearby.
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 09, 2018 5:04 pm

Regarding your choice of hardware, if you don’t need the control afforded by a suspension while traversing serious terrain, I’d forego the suspension fork.

At that price level, it’s only a notional suspension anyway, and it will degrade to near uselessness quickly without regular internal maintenance.

You waste energy in that suspension fork while pedaling. Energy that makes the fork travel up and down instead of making the bike move forward.

After the suspension fork becomes useless from lack of maintenance or simply because it’s a cheap piece of crap, you’re left with a fixed front fork that weights twice as much as a solid fork.

The fat tires do the job of absorbing impacts.

A hard nose/hard tail bike is usually less expensive.
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 09, 2018 8:58 pm

Thanks for all the input folks, particularly from our resident expert: the one like Metatron :thumbup:

Perhaps I'll put off the purchase a little while til I can afford a hybrid without front suspension (all the mountain bikes in my local Halfords have a soft nose) and get a proper safe lock.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#14  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 09, 2018 9:16 pm

Buy a pair of trainers instead

They dont need a lock and are much cheaper than a bike
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#15  Postby laklak » Mar 09, 2018 9:30 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
Your goal is to take longer to steal than every other bike nearby.

Yep. It's like hikers running from a bear. You only need to be faster than the slowest hiker.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 10, 2018 12:33 am

OK; so I'm torn between three hard tail/nose hybrids now. The first one I looked at is this:

£300. I'd worry about keeping it secure however because it's a bit flash/tempting (nice brand, lots of gears, disk brakes) and it's actually 1 kg (14 kg) heavier than the second one I'm considering which is this:

£180. No disk brakes (relatively safe: I've seen hot disk-break wheels on the black market); 13 kg; plenty of gears...not fucking lush and sexy like the first one but then again who gives a fuck about that...and last but by NO MEANS least:

£95!!! Ok so it's got a steel frame; but still weighs in at a thoroughly acceptable 15kg; presumably because it saves weight elsewhere through being so stripped down. Just 6 gears but that doesn't really bother me...I mean I remember old bikes had just 3 gears. Why pay more? And it's kinda superfly in it's own special way IMO to boot ;)
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#17  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 10, 2018 1:26 am

Whatever you don’t spend on the bike, you can spend on the accessories you need: fenders, lights, helmet, lock. For most casual around town riding, that white one will do it as well as the others.

Entry level bikes won’t be particularly light. Light, strong, and cheap, you can only have two.
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 10, 2018 6:47 am

You need it for exercise and nothing else so I would buy the third one as it is the least expensive
The other two are not going to get you any fitter so no point spending any extra money on them
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#19  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 10, 2018 7:49 am

Yup; I was leaning toward number 3 too, and that seems to have got the nod from Met, and now you too sur, so seems the likely way forward. Excellent.

The helmet issue is an interesting one. I don't wear one - never have - and actually think that the fear factor accompanying such a measure might actually make an accident more likely because the rider is travelling in a "nervous" frame of mind...:dunno:
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 10, 2018 7:51 am

sur - it takes me an hour and 40 mins to walk to and from town, which I do nearly every day at the moment, so it's about saving time really more than exercise for me currently.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Science & Technology