Drone watch

In the sky near you

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Drone watch

#201  Postby Macdoc » Sep 13, 2016 7:00 am

My argument with that is eagles are NOT low tech by any means. I just finished an excellent book on raptors and falconry and wow is it complex and requires a life time of experience..and I would think eagles perhaps the hardest of all.

Peregrine Spring highly recommended
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#202  Postby DougC » Sep 14, 2016 11:39 pm

B.B.C. - Drone racing takes to the Sky with $1m investment

To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#203  Postby DougC » Sep 19, 2016 10:49 pm

B.B.C. - GoPro launches Karma drone and voice-controlled Hero5

GoPro's chief executive said the Karma drone had been designed to be "incredibly portable"
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#204  Postby DougC » Sep 28, 2016 12:08 am

B.B.C. - DJI's Mavic Pro fold-up drone detects obstacles

The Mavic Pro can be used to take aerial selfies or stream live footage to YouTube
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#205  Postby The_Piper » Oct 11, 2016 4:10 pm

"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#206  Postby DougC » Oct 14, 2016 2:44 am

B.B.C. - Rwanda begins Zipline commercial drone deliveries

To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#207  Postby DougC » Nov 18, 2016 1:30 am

B.B.C. - Pizza company offers drone deliveries
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#208  Postby DougC » Dec 03, 2016 12:23 am

B.B.C. - App helps drone pilots avoid no-fly zones
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Drones

#209  Postby tuco » Jan 16, 2017 8:38 pm

Entering the Era of ‘Unmanned Terrorism’

Over the past four decades, suicide attacks has become the weapon of choice for terrorist organizations from the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) to the Islamist fundamentalists of Islamic State (IS). However, with the advent of consumer drone use by terrorists groups in the Middle East – which has risen significantly in the past year, particularly on the part of IS militants – that may now be on the brink of changing.

Now that experimentation is taking a different form. On October 2, 2016, IS militants flew a small, unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) affixed with an IED on an attack mission, killing two Kurdish Peshmerga fighters and wounding two French paratroopers (Haaretz, October 13, 2016).

The incident may have been the first successful terrorist UAV-IED attack, but militant groups have been exploring the potential of drones for years. As early as 2001, al-Qaeda deliberated over using a remotely operated aerial explosive device against G8 Summit leaders in Genoa, Italy. The group also planned to attack the British House of Commons with an anthrax-filled drone, with an additional plot to attack commercial aircraft using remote-controlled planes with explosives attached to them (Center for Arms Control, 2005).

https://jamestown.org/program/entering- ... zT3Yt.dpuf
---

Inevitable?
tuco

Print view this post

#210  Postby Nicko » Jan 17, 2017 8:24 am

tuco wrote:Inevitable?

Pretty much so.

Guess the cat's out of the bag.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#211  Postby juju7 » Jan 17, 2017 8:49 am

laklak wrote:
Father O Rielly wrote:
You don't know who those hard noses are who have taken up residence in the crowded allyways of town, but you do know that you don't like them, and further, those that have asked too many questions have come to grief. You are more concerned about scratching out a living for your six kids and wife in a brutal economy. You come home one day and find your shack is a burning ruin, kids dead. Collateral damage, the US is saying. How complicit are you?

I seriously doubt that they have no idea who the hard asses are.

Based on what evidence?
juju7

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#212  Postby aban57 » Jan 18, 2017 12:27 pm

That's tough, asking someone to justify something they said 5 and a half years ago...
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#213  Postby laklak » Jan 19, 2017 3:32 pm

Here's the original post. I'll stick with it.

laklak wrote:
Father O Rielly wrote:
You don't know who those hard noses are who have taken up residence in the crowded allyways of town, but you do know that you don't like them, and further, those that have asked too many questions have come to grief. You are more concerned about scratching out a living for your six kids and wife in a brutal economy. You come home one day and find your shack is a burning ruin, kids dead. Collateral damage, the US is saying. How complicit are you?

I seriously doubt that they have no idea who the hard asses are. Like I doubt the locals had no idea who was living in that decrepit mansion in Abbottabad. Or for that matter that the Pakistani authorities didn't know. From what I've seen, these hard asses don't exactly hide their presence, they're out there digging pits to stone women to death in, burning schools, flogging and hanging people. If a bunch of white supremacist militiamen took up residence in my neighborhood I'd certainly know about it. That said, I'm sure there are people who don't know, or don't support them and are too terrified of reprisals to speak out. I'm sorry for that, but it doesn't change my decision to use the drones rather than attempt a capture. Sometimes life sucks.

It isn't as easy as it looks to fly a SEAL team into hostile territory, evading small arms or even more sophisticated air defenses, land in an urban area controlled by hostile armed forces, fight through a rabbit warren of streets, find the person they're looking for, extract him without harm, get back to the copters (which have to be defended by more troops during this whole process), and then get out safely. I think it's one HELL of a lot harder than it looks and that's why it isn't done more often, but I'd have to defer to Weaver on that one.

Drones certainly aren't foolproof, but they're a hell of a lot more accurate than carpet bombing.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#214  Postby SkyMutt » Jan 02, 2019 6:24 pm

Drones have opened up new options on both sides of the law.

"A Criminal Gang Used a Drone Swarm To Obstruct an FBI Hostage Raid" | Defense One

Last winter, on the outskirts of a large U.S. city, an FBI hostage rescue team set up an elevated observation post to assess an unfolding situation. Soon they heard the buzz of small drones — and then the tiny aircraft were all around them, swooping past in a series of “high-speed low passes at the agents in the observation post to flush them,” the head of the agency’s operational technology law unit told attendees of the AUVSI Xponential conference here. Result: “We were then blind,” said Joe Mazel, meaning the group lost situational awareness of the target. “It definitely presented some challenges.”

[. . .]

Mazel said counter surveillance of law enforcement agents is the fastest-growing way that organized criminals are using drones.

Some criminal organizations have begun to use drones as part of witness intimidation schemes: they continuously surveil police departments and precincts in order to see “who is going in and out of the facility and who might be co-operating with police,” he said.

Drones are also playing a greater role in robberies and the like. Beyond the well-documented incidence of house break-ins, criminal crews are using them to observe bigger target facilities, spot security gaps, and determine patterns of life: where the security guards go and when.

[Continues . . .]
Serious, but not entirely serious.

"The charm of a man is measured by the charm of the women who think he is a scoundrel."
— H. L. Mencken
SkyMutt

Male

Print view this post

#215  Postby Mike_L » Jan 07, 2019 12:23 pm

Noise "like a chainsaw gone ballistic..."

Google's drone delivery company is testing a quieter delivery drone after its original model annoyed people and their dogs

Nick Bastone , Business Insider US
Jan 07, 2019

In late December, the Wall Street Journal reported on complaints from residents of Bonython, the Australian township where Wing, the drone delivery company spun out of Google, had set up shop.

Wing is testing using drones to deliver everyday staples like groceries, hardware, and over-the-counter medicines. Townspeople compared the sounds of Wing's delivery drones as a "chain saw gone ballistic," causing some to spend less time outside, even as it caused the town's canine population a considerable amount of anxiety.

On Friday, a Wing spokesperson confirmed with Business Insider that it has begun testing a quieter drone that "blends in" with nearby sounds.

Full text at:
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/alphabet-google-wing-testing-quieter-drone-2019-1
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#216  Postby bogdan9310 » Feb 07, 2019 12:36 pm

bogdan9310

Name: Bogdan Bacosca
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous