Electric car

is it in my future? Yours?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Electric car

#301  Postby angelo » Jan 02, 2020 11:34 am

Range of many new EV are increasing practically with each new model being released. In the not too distant future, vehicle ranges will not be a problem. Our biggest local motoring body here [RAC] is installing charging stations in most country towns and in between larger towns in service stations, because of the vast distances between some towns of Western Australia.
Now charging times. That's also on the improve.
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#302  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 10, 2020 1:58 am

Tero wrote:
felltoearth wrote:Drive train repairs, oil changes, muffler and exhaust repair... all common maintenance that will likely add up to the same as a battery replacement or more.
Most people who make those claims don’t compare the costs of maintenance that is particular to ICE automobiles.

That is probably true. But people will not want a big bill all in one year. As much as people hate car warranties (unless it is "free" in the new car for 3 years) the future will see people paying a "battery warranty" for the life of the car.

The comparison to ICE engine is not rally fair in that those cars only run some 29 years and are then junked. If you are to buy a Tesla or similar, it costs so much you want to drive it more than 20 years. You may even drive only 2 cars in your lifetime.

I've been driving Nissan Leafs (Leaves?) For the last 5 years and yes, the £5000 battery is the most expensive component on it. However, last time I looked Nissan had extended the warranty to cover the battery for the life of the vehicle since at that point they'd had a grand total of 2 batteries replaced worldwide under extended warranty schemes.

You definitely have to look at the total cost of ownership. My first Leaf was a swap for a Chevrolet Matiz (a tiny sub-compact) and cost less in monthly payments and power than I was paying for petrol every month. And it's exempt from car tax, the insurance is slightly lower and the ability to out accelerate Audi's and BMW's is a joy :grin: .

Annual full service costs £200, there's no gear box, transmission, etc to go wrong, so that's about it for annual expenses. (I've had to shell out for replacement tyres, but those are hardly unique to electric vehicles).
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#303  Postby Cito di Pense » Jan 13, 2020 7:45 am

Tortured_Genius wrote:
I've been driving Nissan Leafs (Leaves?) For the last 5 years

I hope you're only driving one of them at a time. If not, I want to know how you do it and how many legs and arms you have. Serial monogamy is still monogamy. If you made your Leaf function for five years, good on you. Isn't that about how long they've been on the market? If you keep trading up, why7 Do they keep falling apart? I know what you mean, but I still think the image is amusing. Isn't linguistics fun?
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Lou Kleener
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#304  Postby Ironclad » Jan 13, 2020 9:17 am

What I believe should revolutionise the electric car revolution would be interchangeable universal, slide in/out battery packs. One simply drives into a forecourt, and swaps a discharged pack.
Makes more sense than having to pre-plan journeys or park near a charging point overnight.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#305  Postby Macdoc » Jan 13, 2020 4:51 pm

The headaches with that is the number of different vehicles and the size/weight of an EV battery.

Tesla has managed to pack the 4,416 cylinder cells (2170) in to four modules that weigh around 1054 lbs / 478 KGs combined.

Fast charge to 80% is a reality now and only getting faster.

Spare packs for motorcycles or eBikes are certainly feasible but not for a car. We're looking at this as an urban car sub-in for my daughter.

https://radpowerbikes.ca/products/radwa ... cargo-bike

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#306  Postby Ironclad » Jan 13, 2020 7:33 pm

I can easily see the same kind of units, just bigger. Three feet long slabs one can drag from the rear (boot etc) and slid into a recharge slot, and get a full one in return. The more powerful or large the car, the more slabs you use.
:dunno:

Ironclad
RS Donator

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#307  Postby Macdoc » Jan 13, 2020 8:56 pm

Not going to happen unless it is for small utility vehicles.
Even if you divided it in 4 that's still 250+ lbs per "slab".

Battery packs age too...you might get one with with less range and they are not anything to toy with ...immense and dangerous energy.

Not sure why you think charging is such an issue. New chargers and batteries are moving near 5 minutes for 80%
https://www.israel21c.org/israeli-compa ... ctric-car/

UK oil giant British Petroleum has plans to make charging an electric car as close as possible to refuelling a regular fossil-fuelled vehicle. In a recent interview, BP's head of technology David Eyton said that it wants to provide batteries for electric cars by 2021 that can charge to 100% within just five minutes.Jul 29, 2019
Oil major BP aims to fully charge electric cars in 5 minutes by ...
https://thedriven.io › 2019/07/29 › oil-major-bp-aims-to-fully-charge-electri...

New Battery Lets Electric Cars Go 200 Miles on a 10-Minute ...
https://singularityhub.com › 2019/11/04 › new-battery-lets-electric-cars-go...
Nov 4, 2019 - A new battery design that can charge in just 10 minutes promises to tackle that ... to cut the charging time even further to five minutes, which puts them on equal ...

People just adjust their work/travel to include charging with other things, grocery shopping, coffee stop etc
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#308  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 14, 2020 12:59 am

Ironclad wrote:I can easily see the same kind of units, just bigger. Three feet long slabs one can drag from the rear (boot etc) and slid into a recharge slot, and get a full one in return. The more powerful or large the car, the more slabs you use.
:dunno:

That was a concept experimented with by Tesla and most other EV manufacturers and was thrown out for a bunch of reasons, some of which have already been mentioned (this article summarises some).

Standardisation between manufacturers is the major killer and although there was some progress with adoption of some rapid charger standards, chargers in the UK still cater to 2 different types of rapid charger connections at service stations with Tesla's being a 3rd completely proprietary separate charger network.

As it is I have to carry a cable kit to fit various "slow" chargers at car parks, shopping centres and the like (polar etc).

Now imagine having to cater to different battery standards for every manufacturer - nightmare!

Only when it's absolutely clear that there is not going to be an opportunity to completely monopolise the EV market will the various players (I'm looking at you Elon) start seriously considering standardising connections and kit.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#309  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 14, 2020 1:06 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Tortured_Genius wrote:
I've been driving Nissan Leafs (Leaves?) For the last 5 years

I hope you're only driving one of them at a time. If not, I want to know how you do it and how many legs and arms you have. Serial monogamy is still monogamy. If you made your Leaf function for five years, good on you. Isn't that about how long they've been on the market? If you keep trading up, why7 Do they keep falling apart? I know what you mean, but I still think the image is amusing. Isn't linguistics fun?

2 Leaf's serially in 5 years - the car dealers in the UK offer Personal Credit Plans that make effectively hiring new vehicles particularly attractive (with the option to buy at the end of the plan period). If we'd had the money we'd have replaced my wife's ICE sub-compact with an electric version.
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#310  Postby LucidFlight » Jan 14, 2020 3:39 am

So, you had two Leafs in series. More power to you.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#311  Postby Macdoc » Jan 14, 2020 8:19 pm

Because of the somewhat high price initially having finance that matches the kind of savings expected would be ideal.

Here I always thought that a $199 a month lease on an EV was ideal. Then as tech moves forward you can switch to a new lease.

Good calculator here
https://www.goultralow.com/journey-cost ... alculator/

This on a 40 mile round trip commute

NISSAN Juke
£3.80
Journey fuel cost (electricity / petrol)

9.5p
Cost per mile

£1,387

NISSAN Leaf
£1.55
Journey fuel cost (electricity / petrol)

3.9p
Cost per mile

£566
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#312  Postby Ken Fabian » Jan 15, 2020 7:38 am

Ironclad wrote:What I believe should revolutionise the electric car revolution would be interchangeable universal, slide in/out battery packs. One simply drives into a forecourt, and swaps a discharged pack.
Makes more sense than having to pre-plan journeys or park near a charging point overnight.

I think not so much for passenger vehicles, but I think this might be good for larger road freight vehicles that need to do long hours and distances with minimum time out.

Changeover stations could find additional opportunities for electricity grid services - load leveling and demand management - and may provide some through basic market mechanisms; they will get better electricity prices whenever power availability exceeds demand and avoid charging when availability is constrained. They could also feed power back to the grid - potentially significant amounts should electric trucks become more widely used - under arrangements that could benefit grid management as well as charge station operators.
Ken Fabian

Name: Ken Fabian

Print view this post

#313  Postby Ironclad » Jan 15, 2020 11:49 pm

I'll patent this right away

Ironclad
RS Donator

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#314  Postby Macdoc » Jan 16, 2020 1:13 am

It's more likely they would simply switch out charged tractors.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Science & Technology