First Apollo-Saturn computer found, software extracted

The "world's first microcomputer" rediscovered.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

First Apollo-Saturn computer found, software extracted

#1  Postby Mike_L » Sep 02, 2016 5:11 pm

The hacker, the scrapheap, and the first Apollo computer

August 31st, 2016

A Tshwane (Pretoria) computer engineer has tracked down one of the great treasures of the computer age – the first space flight guidance computer.
ARTHUR GOLDSTUCK tells the story.

It’s not often that a YouTube video on a technical topic gives one goosebumps. And it’s not often that someone unpacking a computer makes history.

Francois Rautenbach, a computer hardware and software engineer from Tshwane, achieves both with a series of videos he has quietly posted on YouTube.

It shows the “unboxing” of a batch of computer modules that had been found in a pile of scrap metal 40 years ago and kept in storage ever since. Painstaking gathering of a wide range of evidence, from documents to archived films, had convinced Rautenbach he had tracked down the very first Guidance and Navigation Control computer, used on a test flight of the Saturn 1B rocket and the Apollo Command and Service Modules.

The Rope Memory Modules from Flight AS-202’s Guidance Computer.

Apollo-Saturn 202, or Flight AS-202, as it was officially called, was the first to use an onboard computer – the same model that would eventually take Apollo 11 to the moon. Rautenbach argues that the computer on AS-202 was also the world’s first microcomputer. That title has been claimed for several computers made in later years, from the Datapoint 2200 built by CTC in 1970 to the Altair 8800 designed in 1974. The AS-202 flight computer goes back to the middle of the previous decade.

In a series of three videos, he extracts the software, shows how the computer was constructed, and uses a hospital X-Ray machine to inspect its insides. The third video starts with the kind of phrase that often sets off the hoax-detectors in social media: “Okay, so you guys won’t believe what I’ve been doing today.” But, in this case, it is almost unbelievable as Rautenbach takes the viewer through a physical inspection of the first Apollo guidance computer.

Full text (with links to the videos) at:
http://www.gadget.co.za/the-hacker-the-scrapheap-and-the-first-apollo-computer/
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

Re: First Apollo-Saturn computer found, software extracted

#2  Postby tuco » Sep 02, 2016 5:15 pm

Rautenbach eventually tracked down the source of the photos: a man who had picked up the entire computer, with memory modules, at an auction, as part of a three-ton lot of scrap metal.

Cool story, bro.

“At one point he opened up to me and said he had other modules. He admitted he had a full Apollo guidance computer, and my theory was that it was used to develop the Apollo 11 guidance computer. He sent me more information, and I thought he had THE computer.

“He’s got all this junk in his backyard. He started selling stuff on eBay and one day got a visit from the FBI wanting to know where he got it. He was able to find the original invoice and showed it to them and they went away. But it scared him and he didn’t want to tell anyone else in the USA what he had. Not being from America was an advantage.”

Groovy.
tuco

Print view this post

#3  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Sep 02, 2016 5:28 pm

Did it sing Daisy while he was removing them?

"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby tuco » Sep 02, 2016 5:49 pm

I was born too soon .. that's ridiculous thing to say, right?
tuco

Print view this post

#5  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Sep 02, 2016 6:07 pm

I'm looking forward to when he has a working program again. Would be interesting to see how it worked.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby igorfrankensteen » Sep 02, 2016 10:31 pm

This is another excellent example of something which happens surprisingly often: very few people are really historically minded, even when they actually realize that they are involved in something destined to be truly historic. So all manner of significant items get tossed into the trash, and are lost, simply because people are "sweeping up after the celebration party," and chuck out everything.

I remember reading that although the original recordings of the first moon landing were actually crystal clear for the NASA people (the rest of us saw a murky mess, because the way information was "steamed" in those days, was to point the cheapest news camera available at the NASA console, and then plug that into the cable that led to the broadcast trucks). Those original crystal clear recordings are now forever gone, because in those days, to save money, all video tapes were recycled as soon as the voyages ended.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to General Science & Technology