Folding@Home Team: 182116

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, amok, ADParker

Re: Folding@Home Team: 182116

#1341  Postby kiore » Aug 23, 2011 7:12 am

@Maciek, hey that's fantastic speed, I am just happy if my 3kb/s connection stays up half the day 8-) but when the new phone tower is finished (apparently somewhere between 2 months and 2 decades depending) I should be able to get up to 7kb/s which is fast enough to do normal SMPs. :P I have even managed to send Big Advanced in the past at those speeds although they can take hours to send and once one took 30 hours to upload, why I stopped doing them.
I am not even sure that my Folding Spaghetti Monster survived the trip as the box it was it was crushed on arrival, all the bits seem in place and maybe I will test it in the next couple of weeks to see.
Seems I currently have a 3 month (more) wait for accomodation here, ah well I will wait, gives me time to consider what I will build as my next system. 8-)
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#1342  Postby wiki62 » Aug 25, 2011 5:56 pm

Wow, I thought I could hold onto my 3rd place spot for a while but HA!
also was going to say my ppd should double as I am adding another i7 2600k, but HA!

Anyway was waiting on bulldozer but those i7 2600k were smiling with high ppd so i dove in to them. (may go to 3 if bulldozer doesn't show soon).

Now to sell off the MSI boards, AMD processors and all 12 of the older GPUs to replenish bank account a bit. I figure with the massive drop in wattage used and sale of older equipment I can afford the increase in CPUs with a huge increase in ppd.

Still wont get close to the big boys :whine: :waah:

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"
wiki62

Print view this post

#1343  Postby naapi » Aug 27, 2011 8:39 am

my ppd should double as I am adding another i7 2600k, but HA!

That's very good news! the 2600k's are yielding ~55 kPPD, am I right?

Anyway was waiting on bulldozer but those i7 2600k were smiling with high ppd so i dove in to them. (may go to 3 if bulldozer doesn't show soon).

Bulldozer is likely still 1.5 months away. The 2600k is probably the best solution if you want to spend ~1000 USD. If one can spare as much as 3-4k USD, then 4x8 or 4x12 Opterons are the way to go. I am waiting for the Bulldozer to build my second rig.

Now to sell off the MSI boards, AMD processors and all 12 of the older GPUs to replenish bank account a bit. I figure with the massive drop in wattage used and sale of older equipment I can afford the increase in CPUs with a huge increase in ppd.

I also sold some of my old stuff. My Q6600 was drawing 1/4 of the wattage, but producing just 1/20 of the points as my main rig. I think it makes sense to rejuvenate folding hardware every 1.5-2.5 years

Cheers,

Maciek.
naapi

Name: Maciek Kolodziejczyk

Poland (pl)
Print view this post

#1344  Postby wiki62 » Aug 27, 2011 11:14 am

naapi wrote:
my ppd should double as I am adding another i7 2600k, but HA!

That's very good news! the 2600k's are yielding ~55 kPPD, am I right?

Bulldozer is likely still 1.5 months away. The 2600k is probably the best solution if you want to spend ~1000 USD. If one can spare as much as 3-4k USD, then 4x8 or 4x12 Opterons are the way to go. I am waiting for the Bulldozer to build my second rig.

I also sold some of my old stuff. My Q6600 was drawing 1/4 of the wattage, but producing just 1/20 of the points as my main rig. I think it makes sense to rejuvenate folding hardware every 1.5-2.5 years

Cheers,

Maciek.

From what I am seeing the 2600K @ 4.3 is getting ~44k ppd since recent decrease in bonus points. I could boost speed/ppd higher, but local air temps are running 30C to 33C. No A/C in the room, that is the next project to take on ....... small window A/C for that room.
I cut costs by purchasing used CPUs, watch for super sales, and use my existing power supplies memory and cases. I get the 2600k for < $250 usd. < $80 for quality MB. so 2 dedicated comps upgraded to 2500K purchase for less than $700 usd.

Tough for me to do as I am on fixed income now and not making big bucks, like Kiore does. :evilgrin:

I am still waiting for Bulldozer.

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"
wiki62

Print view this post

#1345  Postby kiore » Aug 27, 2011 12:53 pm

Well I do earn more than the average South Sudanese.. But money not the issue preventing me setting up again or building a new rig, rather it is the very poor internet connection, not workable for SMPs will have to stick to GPUs unless it improves soon.
The other serious obstacle is I have no where to put my farm, currently sharing one of these things:

I am certain my 2 roomates would not be impressed by my setting up a folding farm in my 5sm of the box :P , So until I get one all to myself will continue folding with my netbook. I would set up in my office but there are no more modems available in the country at present so I have only one with a local ISP, if I can get another and it is in range will be rebuilding the folding spaghetti monster.
Still early days for me here, hoping things will sort themselves out by the end of the year.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#1346  Postby wiki62 » Aug 27, 2011 6:25 pm

Looks like plenty of comfort there. :evilgrin:

Did you cover up the bars on the window?? :evilgrin:

wiki62

Print view this post

#1347  Postby kiore » Aug 27, 2011 8:08 pm

wiki62 wrote:Looks like plenty of comfort there. :evilgrin:

Did you cover up the bars on the window?? :evilgrin:

Ha that (believe it or not) is considered VIP accommodation (and costs twice what my apartment in Paris costs per month), my current box which I don't have a photo of is not so luxurious..
Although the aircon works in my current one, I can't turn it off, and didn't work in that VIP version.
Is fine for a bedroom, just have no other rooms to put my farm in.
Me I will be happy with a box to myself and a decent internet connection, well wouldn't mind a bathroom as well..
Fun times here in the world's newest country... strangely enough good quality French and Australian wine is readily available and very cheap so there are some positives.. :cheers:
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#1348  Postby rs199208 » Sep 09, 2011 4:48 pm

"AMD announced that it had begun revenue shipments of the first Bulldozer processors for servers. More specifically AMD is referring to its Interlagos CPU which features two Bulldozer die on a single multi-chip-module package. A single Interlagos CPU features 16 integer cores (8 FP cores) and will work in existing AMD Opteron 6100 series platforms. AMD mentioned that the production version of Interlagos was ready in August, the past weeks have simply been used for testing and validation."
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4749/amd- ... llow-in-q4

“A man never tells you anything until you contradict him.” George Bernard Shaw
rs199208

Name: Rich Scott
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1349  Postby lucek » Sep 09, 2011 6:00 pm

5 square meters is enough space to sleep and have a Mini ITX microwulf. Technically I could build a 6 node supercomputer in my current tower if I took a dremel to it.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
While talking about green energy and china a friend of mine told me, "I don't believe in that, all that global warming and green gas."
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1350  Postby kiore » Sep 10, 2011 4:49 pm

lucek wrote:5 square meters is enough space to sleep and have a Mini ITX microwulf. Technically I could build a 6 node supercomputer in my current tower if I took a dremel to it.

Well yes but my room mates would not be so keen I suspect.. Anyway that is academic now as my box was seriously damaged in a flash flood last week :roll: as were all my neighbour's ones in our camp, around 300 of us made 'homeless', so now am temporarily living in a storeroom that is also doubling as my office. Is actually more pleasant in the storeroom as now have some privacy. This has seriously exascerbated the already critical shortage of accomodation here, my chances of getting my own room by the end of the year look dim at present.
The phone tower I have been waiting for is supposed to be completed in the next week or so, so I may have a reliable connection, currently it is so intermittent that I have a uniprocessor unit waiting to send for 24hrs and not sending.
Early days here yet.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#1351  Postby rs199208 » Sep 14, 2011 11:51 pm

8429.38MHz is the new CPU Frequency World Record claimed by a near-production desktop version of AMD’s FX Bulldozer CPU!
http://www.overclockers.com/amd-fx-bull ... ld-record/

rs199208

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#1352  Postby wiki62 » Sep 26, 2011 5:42 pm

rs199208 wrote:8429.38MHz is the new CPU Frequency World Record claimed by a near-production desktop version of AMD’s FX Bulldozer CPU!

It looks like Bulldozer is not what it is/was supposed to be.
CEO kicked out, main man in charge of quality/production left or fired.
Absolute lockdown on any information of release date, no official test reports,
no reviews of product and it appears that just ES parts are only thing produced to date
and those are poor performers.

SAD

I was waiting on Bulldozer but have gone to i7 2600k now

wiki62

Print view this post

#1353  Postby kiore » Sep 27, 2011 8:49 pm

wiki62 wrote:
rs199208 wrote:8429.38MHz is the new CPU Frequency World Record claimed by a near-production desktop version of AMD’s FX Bulldozer CPU!

It looks like Bulldozer is not what it is/was supposed to be.
CEO kicked out, main man in charge of quality/production left or fired.
Absolute lockdown on any information of release date, no official test reports,
no reviews of product and it appears that just ES parts are only thing produced to date
and those are poor performers.

SAD

I was waiting on Bulldozer but have gone to i7 2600k now

Oh noes.. I hope this isn't true...
What a disaster, still 5 weeks till I decide for my next build.
I bought a usb modem antenna today, hopefully the first step towards being seriously back online again and on return to Juba I am hoping to find the phone tower up and working and that I have somewhere to live again allowing me to rebuild my GPU rig.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#1354  Postby naapi » Oct 01, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi guys,

I have some bad news - my computer has died in the line of duty. I do not know how serious this is, but it will be at least several weeks until I will be able to diagnose and restart folding. Maybe it is just the PSU maybe motherboard, I do not know.

I will try to be back as soon as possible.

M.
naapi

Name: Maciek Kolodziejczyk

Poland (pl)
Print view this post

#1355  Postby kiore » Oct 01, 2011 1:47 pm

naapi wrote:Hi guys,

I have some bad news - my computer has died in the line of duty. I do not know how serious this is, but it will be at least several weeks until I will be able to diagnose and restart folding. Maybe it is just the PSU maybe motherboard, I do not know.

I will try to be back as soon as possible.

M.

Oh no, sorry to hear that, hopefully just the PSU, extreme systems can have extreme requirements..

I am no closer to setting my gpu system as still am having problems finding somewhere to live, was intending to set up in my my office which I move into next week, but there is a shortage of usb modems and sim cards here and I can't buy another one, have one unlocked modem but they won't sell me a sim card with out a modem.. :roll:
Oh well my netbook still pumping along at 330+ ppd 8-)
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#1356  Postby wiki62 » Oct 06, 2011 9:54 am

Well maybe Bulldozer will show up in the next week or so. I still have system ready for it but have added one i7 2600k dedicated folder now running and have a second one waiting on a heatsink that is due tomorrow. love the low power requirement for Big adv on the i7 2600k.

dedicated folder #1: i7 2600k, msi P67A-GD65 (B3),60gb ssd, Win7, 4gb, 4850 video card. 1000w (not needed for this rig draws 219watts from the wall)
dedicated folder #2: Phenom II x6 1090t, gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3, 2x gtx460, XP, 4gb 850w . (FX-8150 hopeful)
soon #3

wiki62

Print view this post

#1357  Postby kiore » Oct 06, 2011 10:11 am

I am not hearing very positive reports about Bull Dozer, seems it isn't a true 8 core either like the Intel HT quads.
I hope AMD don't have another lemon on their hands like the first phenom.
I may try putting my Phenom II 955 rig back together this weekend to see if it is still operational although I have no where to run it at present.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#1358  Postby wiki62 » Oct 06, 2011 11:04 am

You should try using FAHClient V7.1.33, simple one click install and identifies each card/cpu type and sets up folding client for each one or do it manually very easy.

http://foldingforum.org/viewforum.php?f ... 02c65f5a32

wiki62

Print view this post

#1359  Postby kiore » Oct 06, 2011 11:09 am

wiki62 wrote:You should try using FAHClient V7.1.33, simple one click install and identifies each card/cpu type and sets up folding client for each one or do it manually very easy.

http://foldingforum.org/viewforum.php?f ... 02c65f5a32

I am running that on my netbook although I haven't tried it with more the one core, doubt that I will do anything more than check whether the motherboard was damaged in transit, the box it was in was crushed and water affected when it arrived, although all the pieces seem to be intact.
Really looking forward to having my own place to live so I can set up again properly.
I was hoping to buy a new Bulldozer before the end of the end, oh well we will see if they fold well or not.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#1360  Postby rs199208 » Oct 15, 2011 8:57 pm

Naapi, Come back soon! Do you have a update?

Just now ordered a Thuban 1090t X6 to upgrade from my X4.
I only have a AM3 board you need a AM3+ 9 series chipset for the new Bulldozers.
The benchies so far do not make it worth it for me to build a new BD system.
I will build a FAH only rig from SB or IB Intel, not sure if I will wait for IB.
on another note the new 28 NM AMD 7000 series has a target launch date of Dec 6.
Maybe this will be a better FAH GPU?
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-so ... 13715.html

rs199208

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology