Folding@Home Team: 182116

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Folding@Home Team: 182116

#2441  Postby DKeane » Jul 26, 2017 3:29 pm

kiore wrote:
DKeane wrote:Okay, so some assistance with troubleshooting if anyone has a moment. I keep getting the following errors trying to download the folding files:

GPU:
"Failed to read stream
13:12:30:Connecting to assign-GPU2.stanford.edu:80
13:12:49:WARNING:Attempting to update GPUs.txt from assign-GPU2.stanford.edu:80:"

CPU:
"******************************* Date: 2017-07-25 *******************************
08:20:43:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 171.67.108.45:8080
08:21:02:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to get ID from '171.67.108.45:8080': 10002: Received short response, expected 8 bytes, got 0
08:21:02:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 171.64.65.35:80
08:21:21:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to get ID from '171.64.65.35:80': 10002: Received short response, expected 8 bytes, got 0
08:21:21:ERROR:WU01:FS01:Exception: Could not get an assignment ID"

I've attempted to uninstall the full program and delete all the data files. Did not fix the issue. Also talked with our network administrator, and there hasn't been any changes to the company firewall. Any thoughts or direction?

The short response thing is a connection interuption/dropout, are you having connectivity issues?

Nope - my machine is at the office and there is almost never a connection issue.
DKeane

Name: Dennis Keane

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2442  Postby kiore » Jul 27, 2017 12:11 am

Think you should take this to the Folding help Forum then.
https://foldingforum.org/index.php
Something wrong with the connection setup.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2443  Postby DKeane » Jul 31, 2017 12:28 pm

Thanks - will do.
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2444  Postby kiore » Aug 04, 2017 2:22 am

I am down due to technical issues and about to go on vacation for a week.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2445  Postby kiore » Aug 06, 2017 2:54 am

OK have tried to fix my system, but looks more serious than I initially thought, not a dead GPU but a dead CPU and or motherboard, will not even post. Think it is time to start again and rebuild from ground up. Although the mobo only 4 years old has been dismantled and moved countries twice so not entirely unexpected.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2446  Postby halucigenia » Aug 06, 2017 5:05 pm

I'm just getting around to replacing my original rig that has been doing no folding since its motherboard failed and I replaced it with a spare mini atx board that did not have the space for a decent graphics card while I had a pcie raid card in place for my tv recordings.

It used to have a small nvidia 750ti running in it which I have now got going on the replacement board. I will replace that with something bigger eventually, as I will have the space on the new full size board.
After starting the build I learned that Ubuntu currently has some issues with FAH client but found a workaround on the FAH forums and it seems to be up and running stably now. It took a while to figure it out though. I was going to go with Chakra linux like on my other rig but they are a bit behind with the newer linux kernels that are better suited for ryzen based builds. I have stuck with kubuntu 17.04 with the 4.10.0-30 kernel which was on the old rig as well. I am still toying with the idea of trying a different distro to get a newer kernel and better FAH support but I may just install kubuntu 17.10 or the next Chakra release when they come along.

My other rig, which now has two Nvidia 970s is not very stable at the moment. I need to keep an eye on the FAH service on that one as it keeps stalling and not picking up new WUs. I should ask the FAH forum about that as I keep having to restart the service to get the folding going again.

For the new build I am going with a x370 board, ryzen 1700 8 core 65watt processor, DDR4-3200 RAM and a Samsung M.2 960 EVO 250GB NVME SSD as the OS /root and /home partitions. It takes only about 30 seconds to reboot as the NVME SSD is blisteringly fast. It should rattle through my video transcodes too once I get ffmpeg running on all 16 threads on this processor. :ugeek:
halucigenia

Print view this post

#2447  Postby kiore » Aug 07, 2017 2:12 am

To make my weekend completely brilliant, my laptop has pretty much died as well, while I was busy writing an important report for work. :roll: Some work ahead for me, new i5 7200u laptop already writing this post, parts for the repair to the folding system will be ordered soon.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2448  Postby kiore » Aug 07, 2017 5:17 am

OK, rebuilding, have ordered stuff:
i7 8000X 6 core processor.
Asus ROG Strix mobo.
32G, 2 x 16 Ripjaws because.. why not, as RAM.
Corsair Hydro H80i as cpu cooler.
Blown my initial budget for a base rebuilt, but 8-) Total overkill.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2449  Postby kiore » Aug 20, 2017 1:16 am

Parts arrived and assembly complete.. It post but no signal to screen, again! New screen and cable even :roll:
So, replaced GPU with an old one I have that I was pretty sure still worked and nothing, 3 GPUs and 2 different cables and still screen indicating not detected. So am scratching my head, perhaps the old mobo was OK afterall and is just the GPUs that all died at the same time. Next step unless someone has a better idea is to get a new GPU, a very cheap one to run the screen and see what happens.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2450  Postby DKeane » Aug 22, 2017 1:55 pm

Still waiting on our hardware vendor at work to resolve our firewall issue for folding on my workstation. Bah!
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2451  Postby DKeane » Aug 22, 2017 1:57 pm

kiore wrote:Parts arrived and assembly complete.. It post but no signal to screen, again! New screen and cable even :roll:
So, replaced GPU with an old one I have that I was pretty sure still worked and nothing, 3 GPUs and 2 different cables and still screen indicating not detected. So am scratching my head, perhaps the old mobo was OK afterall and is just the GPUs that all died at the same time. Next step unless someone has a better idea is to get a new GPU, a very cheap one to run the screen and see what happens.

Can you plug the monitor into the on-chip graphics and see if it works from there?
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2452  Postby kiore » Aug 23, 2017 12:41 am

No in chip GPU, but worse news is that new GPU also not working, so replaced: CPU, mobo, RAM, GPU and screen and still nothing. Guess that just leaves the PSU and all key parted new...
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2453  Postby halucigenia » Aug 25, 2017 4:40 pm

On my last build the motherboard would not post with a new model of graphics card but would post with an older model of graphics card. I had to update the BIOS before it would recognise the newer models. Also, the board was designed for ATI but I was using Nvidia.
I sometimes still have issues connecting the graphics card with an HDMI cable but can usually get an output from DVI. Using a card with bog standard VGA output might also get an output.
halucigenia

Print view this post

#2454  Postby kiore » Aug 28, 2017 12:47 am

halucigenia wrote:On my last build the motherboard would not post with a new model of graphics card but would post with an older model of graphics card. I had to update the BIOS before it would recognise the newer models. Also, the board was designed for ATI but I was using Nvidia.
I sometimes still have issues connecting the graphics card with an HDMI cable but can usually get an output from DVI. Using a card with bog standard VGA output might also get an output.

Thanks so bought a new DVI-D cable connected and still nothing. Am a bit too despondent to even try connecting the old PSU I have, because I have it still because it was not delivering, so unless it works I will still not sort out the issue, but will give it a go next.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2455  Postby DKeane » Sep 06, 2017 12:57 pm

Update on my situation. Looks like the IP address that distributes the WUs changes (not from a single domain), so it makes it tough to create an exception list when the IP keeps changing. I may be out of the folding game for a little bit here. Will keep everyone updated.
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2456  Postby kiore » Oct 21, 2017 6:24 pm

So my build saga over, new build had a couple of issues, 1 my fault, as I installed the RAM 1 on each side of the CPU (normal right?) while this mobo wanted them both on one side, and my liquid cpu cooler was not working properly so will need to RMA.
Up and folding again on 1 GPU and 8 CPU cores as a test and working well.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2457  Postby kiore » Oct 27, 2017 2:16 am

Still playing with my new system and only running 1 gpu but looking at impact from running cpus as well on windows, seems that running 10 cpus works very well when running the newest work units both GPU and CPU at same time, reducing to 4 or 6 cpus still slows the gpu by a similar margin but less output.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Science & Technology