Folding@Home Team: 182116

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Folding@Home Team: 182116

#2461  Postby kiore » Jan 05, 2018 11:32 pm

DKeane wrote:
DKeane wrote:FYI - System at work will be replaced soon with a I7-8700 and either a 1060 or 1070 (not sure yet). Should fix my CPU issues and boost my point production considerably.

New computer is up and running:
Processor is the I7-8700 (non-K)
GPU is 1070 TI

Running folding on the processor is LOUD due to air cooling, even on low. I don't expect many points from the processor anyways, may try it over the weekend while I'm not in the office.

Noticed that one logical CPU is maxed out with the GPU folding. GPU might run a bit better if I can turn off hyper threading, giving it a bit more headroom. But I cannot for the life of me find where to turn off hyper threading in the BIOS. Kind of odd.

Don't turn off HT, set the CPU to 2 cores less than you have, it will reduce the GPU output a bit but gives more output. Other wise just GPU fold, the GTX 1070ti should push 500kppd pretty easily.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2462  Postby DKeane » Jan 06, 2018 2:30 am

kiore wrote:
DKeane wrote:
DKeane wrote:FYI - System at work will be replaced soon with a I7-8700 and either a 1060 or 1070 (not sure yet). Should fix my CPU issues and boost my point production considerably.

New computer is up and running:
Processor is the I7-8700 (non-K)
GPU is 1070 TI

Running folding on the processor is LOUD due to air cooling, even on low. I don't expect many points from the processor anyways, may try it over the weekend while I'm not in the office.

Noticed that one logical CPU is maxed out with the GPU folding. GPU might run a bit better if I can turn off hyper threading, giving it a bit more headroom. But I cannot for the life of me find where to turn off hyper threading in the BIOS. Kind of odd.

Don't turn off HT, set the CPU to 2 cores less than you have, it will reduce the GPU output a bit but gives more output. Other wise just GPU fold, the GTX 1070ti should push 500kppd pretty easily.

Tried CPU folding again today, and it just is way to loud, even when reducing the number of CPUs . Got an Alienware maching and it seems like it should have been liquid cooled even without the K processor.

Going strictly GPU folding, which means I can experiment a bit with hyper threading to see if the CPU setup might be limiting the GPU output. Not sure if it will make a difference.

Thanks for the input.
DKeane

Name: Dennis Keane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2463  Postby kiore » Feb 02, 2018 4:25 am

So the alt-coin frenzy has caused ridiculous prices and shortages of GPUs just when I was about to buy myself a GTX1080ti as a xmas present. Crazy prices, I see 1 year old models selling for more than the new price, and the EVGA 1080ti hybrid I wanted went from under $800 to $1800 in a few weeks. Managed to get one anyway at normal price from manufacturer by clicking fast on buy after a number of attempts and it arrived last weekend and is humming away.
The GTX 1080ti really has amazing capacity, most projects do not stretch it at all and although the ppd pretty good it seems somewhat underutilized at present. I see people complaining about how it performs of small atom count projects, OK I am sure that 930kppd is not what it capable of my still this is pretty astounding processing and gets much more on Linux.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2464  Postby DKeane » Feb 07, 2018 12:38 pm

kiore wrote:So the alt-coin frenzy has caused ridiculous prices and shortages of GPUs just when I was about to buy myself a GTX1080ti as a xmas present. Crazy prices, I see 1 year old models selling for more than the new price, and the EVGA 1080ti hybrid I wanted went from under $800 to $1800 in a few weeks. Managed to get one anyway at normal price from manufacturer by clicking fast on buy after a number of attempts and it arrived last weekend and is humming away.
The GTX 1080ti really has amazing capacity, most projects do not stretch it at all and although the ppd pretty good it seems somewhat underutilized at present. I see people complaining about how it performs of small atom count projects, OK I am sure that 930kppd is not what it capable of my still this is pretty astounding processing and gets much more on Linux.

Came here after I noticed your point jump...excellent. Should note that prices across the board for computer equipment seem outrageous. Looking to upgrade my home system and memory is at $100 for 8 gb sticks. I7-8700s were recently selling for $400. Bonkers.
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2465  Postby DKeane » Feb 16, 2018 8:56 pm

Looks like the GTX 1060 6GB is going for $100 used over the price I paid new. Seriously considering selling it.
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2466  Postby kiore » Feb 16, 2018 9:01 pm

DKeane wrote:Looks like the GTX 1060 6GB is going for $100 used over the price I paid new. Seriously considering selling it.

Prices are settling down a bit, expect there will be loads of ex mining rigs for sale soon as people realize they jumped in too late to earn money.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2467  Postby kiore » Jul 13, 2018 11:06 pm

So I have had not home internet for nearly 4 days, am finally back up and flying.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2468  Postby kiore » Sep 03, 2018 2:20 am

This thread a bit quiet at present but news is that we are 54th highest ranking team. As we progress in the ranks it gets harder and harder, but this an awesome status, it seems not so long ago we were striving to be be in the top 1000. The coin thing has been hard to compete with but that seems to have run its course and we are pretty much back to just people folding for fun and science. In other news we are about to see a whole new generation of GPUs arrive on the scene NVIDIA have moved from GTX to RTX and soon we will know if this new generation will be a game changer. The prices are huge but it is not at all clear whether these cards will fold proportionately....
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2469  Postby kiore » Sep 12, 2018 3:55 pm

So my 24hr average just crept over 2mppd after sitting just below for ages.. Now I am away from home for a couple of weeks and so have switched to just one GPU for this period so m aimed 2mppd average will have to wait my return.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2470  Postby DKeane » Sep 28, 2018 12:50 pm

Still issues at work having the client get through our firewall. So I have resigned myself to folding via web. Not as many points, but at least I'm still doing something.
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2471  Postby kiore » Oct 06, 2018 12:49 am

DKeane wrote:Still issues at work having the client get through our firewall. So I have resigned myself to folding via web. Not as many points, but at least I'm still doing something.

All contributions are worthwhile, do what you can.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2472  Postby kiore » Oct 06, 2018 1:22 am

While talking about output we have a new super folder, the first team member to consistently make 2 million PPD.
Amazing output PlayLoud, really impressive.
https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com ... =&u=668130
Unsure if the person folding under this name can see this but would really be interested to read what they are running, a new RTX card??? You have snatched my spot as top folder on the team, but I am not at all unhappy to lose that position under the circumstances.
Speaking of the new RTX cards I am seeing some incredible numbers from this new generation of video cards, although they are power hungry and will probably be superseded within 12 months by newer versions of this generation, this new generation seem to be a significant step forward in capability. Having said that I am seeing some truly ridiculous prices quoted to buy the RTX 2080ti, over $2200 USD for a card that launched at the already high price of $1000, much like the price gouging generated by the coin frenzy last year. I plan to upgrade when the frenzy settles, if it settles. :roll:
The coin frenzy seems to be over and I bought a nice little ex coin rig: board/cpu/ram minus the GPUs for a 13year old family friend and budding builder for next to nothing, suspect plenty of basic hardware coming available as people shut down their coin makers. When he puts it together with the retired GTX 980ti I had will see if I can infect him with the folding bug. :naughty2:
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2473  Postby Fenrir » Oct 06, 2018 2:27 am

Not a folder (no desktop at all) but I have to say this is my favourite thread on the forum.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#2474  Postby DKeane » Nov 07, 2018 5:28 pm

So I thought I had my work firewall issue solved - possibly not. Our Ethernet connection has access to the file servers, but our in office WiFi is strictly internet (so no firewall restrictions). I found a program called "Forcebindip" that can force programs to use a particular network adapter. I was hoping that I could use this program to bind FAH to the wireless adapter on my computer. So far not working quite as I had thought it would - but I'm like a dog with a bone...
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2475  Postby DKeane » Nov 07, 2018 5:29 pm

Fenrir wrote:Not a folder (no desktop at all) but I have to say this is my favourite thread on the forum.

It is certainly interesting in general, and also for an excellent cause.
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2476  Postby kiore » Nov 09, 2018 2:31 am

The young family friend getting ready for his first build just added an i7 Kaby Lake cpu to his little pile of components, the last essential piece. Will lend him a monitor until he can buy his own. Is actually quite exciting to supervise a build like this and will let him install drivers and software by himself (with direction) which is the bit I dislike the most about building. Will insist he do it perfectly, which I never do :smoke: Most of the build is 2nd hand parts but gave him a new EVGA 650 platinum PSU for his birthday and now he has a new CPU so good to go. If all goes well I will have trained him well enough that he can do all my future mods for me while I sit back and give sage advice and of course convert him to a folder.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2477  Postby DKeane » Nov 09, 2018 1:50 pm

kiore wrote:The young family friend getting ready for his first build just added an i7 Kaby Lake cpu to his little pile of components, the last essential piece. Will lend him a monitor until he can buy his own. Is actually quite exciting to supervise a build like this and will let him install drivers and software by himself (with direction) which is the bit I dislike the most about building. Will insist he do it perfectly, which I never do :smoke: Most of the build is 2nd hand parts but gave him a new EVGA 650 platinum PSU for his birthday and now he has a new CPU so good to go. If all goes well I will have trained him well enough that he can do all my future mods for me while I sit back and give sage advice and of course convert him to a folder.

kiore, how old is the family friend? I recently gave my son one of our older work computers and was thinking in the next few years, he may need to upgrade. Was thinking would be a good project for him to work on.
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2478  Postby kiore » Nov 09, 2018 6:47 pm

He is 12, built a Rasperry last year as a little taste of electronics, think he will be fine doing the build with supervision.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Science & Technology