Folding@Home Team: 182116

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Folding@Home Team: 182116

#2481  Postby newolder » Dec 03, 2018 1:07 pm

I must say, this Gradient Descent method results in things I often get when trying to bend paper clips into useful or otherwise 'artistic' objects. :snooty:
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2482  Postby kiore » Dec 04, 2018 4:01 pm

My new GPU an RTX 2080ti has arrived will test it out tomorrow.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2483  Postby kiore » Dec 06, 2018 2:27 am

OK so fitted the RTX 2080ti. Good news is Wow is so fast! First unit an 11718 and ppd estimate 180+kppd. Less good news is wow so hot! Running in the 70's C . My usual GPU controlling tool: Afterburner is not letting me do fan control for this card. Tried the EVGA Precision but refuses to start. Teething problems... Will just let it run and try sorting it out tomorrow. This card maybe needs to be below the other card a GTX 1080ti to let it have some more air.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2484  Postby kiore » Dec 07, 2018 12:34 am

OK so some googling has led me to a beta version of MSI Afterburner than shows fan speed and allows me adjust the speed. Seems it was already going fast, so I made it a little faster bringing the card temp down to 72c and since it was down I decided to give the card little voltage bump to see if it will run even faster. Seeing an enormous range of PPDs for this card 1.6-2.1Mppd, yes that's M not k ppd depending on the WU looking like it fastest on high atom count units.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2485  Postby kiore » Dec 07, 2018 12:50 am

Dropping this new card with 4352 shader processors in my box reminded me of how amazingly far things have progressed since I built my first folding rig in 2009. That one had 4x 9800GT's and 2 x dual core SMPS (the old name for multi cpu clients) running in a VM. On a good day I could average 20kppd which was considered super impressive in the days before quick return bonuses.
I bought the new card direct from the manufacturer avoiding all the current scam prices which are up to $1000 over recommended price, I even see some GTX 1080ti 's at this price which seem to be there to look like the RTX's.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2486  Postby DKeane » Dec 11, 2018 2:39 pm

kiore wrote:Dropping this new card with 4352 shader processors in my box reminded me of how amazingly far things have progressed since I built my first folding rig in 2009. That one had 4x 9800GT's and 2 x dual core SMPS (the old name for multi cpu clients) running in a VM. On a good day I could average 20kppd which was considered super impressive in the days before quick return bonuses.
I bought the new card direct from the manufacturer avoiding all the current scam prices which are up to $1000 over recommended price, I even see some GTX 1080ti 's at this price which seem to be there to look like the RTX's.

Came here after I noticed your ppd bump - really nice.

Hoping to update my home computer at some point in Q1. Rumor mill is that Navi will have a 10 - 15% bump in performance at almost half the price of current lineups. If true (big IF), I could pick up a new GPU or even a used 1080 with a significant price drop....
DKeane

Name: Dennis Keane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2487  Postby kiore » Dec 11, 2018 5:47 pm

The current prices are crazy, don't expect a new iteration of the RTX series until 2nd half of next year but hopefully the prices will fall back to the expected price not this current exorbitant gouging.
I have an EVGA GTX 1080 hybrid available if you are shopping.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2488  Postby DKeane » Dec 11, 2018 6:04 pm

kiore wrote:The current prices are crazy, don't expect a new iteration of the RTX series until 2nd half of next year but hopefully the prices will fall back to the expected price not this current exorbitant gouging.
I have an EVGA GTX 1080 hybrid available if you are shopping.

I'm not shopping quite yet, recently had to purchase a new vehicle and need finances to settle down before I can justify updating GPUs. Thanks for the thought though.
DKeane

Name: Dennis Keane

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Science & Technology