Folding@Home Team: 182116

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Folding@Home Team: 182116

#2521  Postby DKeane » Aug 28, 2019 4:01 pm

So I recently noticed that while I've producing my standard 650K ppd, my advanced control claims I'm only estimated to make about 125K ppd. Seems to be a recent development.
DKeane

Name: Dennis Keane

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2522  Postby kiore » Aug 28, 2019 5:28 pm

DKeane wrote:So I recently noticed that while I've producing my standard 650K ppd, my advanced control claims I'm only estimated to make about 125K ppd. Seems to be a recent development.

There have been some server changes which are not indicating the quick return bonus on some work units but the credit is occurring, and some cpu ones are not crediting and will be recredited when they have a catch up.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2523  Postby kiore » Nov 08, 2019 4:03 am

Team chat a bit quiet lately. Welcome new team member brian3190 already 2nd highest daily score.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2524  Postby kiore » Dec 09, 2019 8:46 pm

In last 24hrs our team rank moved to number 38 in the project. Well done everyone.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2525  Postby kiore » Jan 09, 2020 2:18 am

GPU folders the new core 22 is available to those with the setting of 'advanced' this new core which had serious issues on the last release seems to be more stable now and offers a large increase in performance especially with higher end cards. The first units are available on settings of client-type advanced , but be aware that what were previously stable set ups may face issues with this new core. I advise reducing any overclock before attempting them and updating drivers to latest versions. As the new core makes things run faster they will also tend to run hotter. Is it worth being an advanced tester? If you are willing to watch your system carefully and re-stabilize to the new environment then yes I am seeing a 20% + increase in performance my 24hr average reached 4 million today. If not then wait a bit for the bugs to be ironed out.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2526  Postby DKeane » Feb 10, 2020 3:37 pm

kiore wrote:GPU folders the new core 22 is available to those with the setting of 'advanced' this new core which had serious issues on the last release seems to be more stable now and offers a large increase in performance especially with higher end cards. The first units are available on settings of client-type advanced , but be aware that what were previously stable set ups may face issues with this new core. I advise reducing any overclock before attempting them and updating drivers to latest versions. As the new core makes things run faster they will also tend to run hotter. Is it worth being an advanced tester? If you are willing to watch your system carefully and re-stabilize to the new environment then yes I am seeing a 20% + increase in performance my 24hr average reached 4 million today. If not then wait a bit for the bugs to be ironed out.

A good 20% increase here too. Nice!
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2527  Postby kiore » Feb 13, 2020 5:50 pm

The core 22 gpu units are now on general release, please be aware that previously stable temps and overclocks may not be stable on these as they can make gpus work harder for those extra points.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2528  Postby kiore » Mar 16, 2020 12:29 am

Heads up to regular folders, as F@H is now prioritizing research on COVID-19 with both GPU and CPU units a huge and I mean huge influx of new folders have arrived to help. This has caused many hopefully temporary issues with servers running out of work to allocate plus the inevitable teething problems with new folders needing assistance and perhaps crashing work with unstable systems. I anticipate some of these issues will stabilize soon and that the projects will provide useful science to those seeking weak points in the virus to target drugs and vaccines at.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2529  Postby kiore » Mar 16, 2020 12:32 am

Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2530  Postby kiore » Mar 17, 2020 5:09 pm

How Folding@Home is helping with research by simulating the dynamics of COVID-19 proteins to hunt for new therapeutic opportunities

https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/15/co ... ple-terms/

Please note the massive surge in donors has temporarily overwhelmed the current work distribution infrastructure but the researchers are racing to catch up. I presume a number of the new donors will not stick it out, so if you wish to start this don't think just a couple of days will crack it. I request all people reading this who wish to help out to seek help with issues and questions from experienced folders here first, the F@H help forum currently also overwhelmed with new donors asking questions.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2531  Postby WanderingCowboy » Mar 18, 2020 1:43 am

The influx of folders is amazing. All the teams I've looked at ( including the Curecoin team) is down the past few days in terms of points. Team 0 however is up from 200,000k ppd to 1,800,000k ppd! If even a tenth of the new users stick it out that would be amazing for the project.

And since it's been a few years since I've posted here, wow! The team has really risen up the ranks. I remember the accomplishment I felt when I finally passed by TaxMan, and that was years after he had stopped folding. Does anyone know who he was?

And last time I checked into the forum I was neck and neck with halucigenia... I'm just going to assume we're both still gunning for the same spot. And until I finally get another gpu unit, I'll just rely on my I7 3770k to keep the points up.
WanderingCowboy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2532  Postby kiore » Mar 18, 2020 7:36 pm

WanderingCowboy wrote:The influx of folders is amazing. All the teams I've looked at ( including the Curecoin team) is down the past few days in terms of points. Team 0 however is up from 200,000k ppd to 1,800,000k ppd! If even a tenth of the new users stick it out that would be amazing for the project.

And since it's been a few years since I've posted here, wow! The team has really risen up the ranks. I remember the accomplishment I felt when I finally passed by TaxMan, and that was years after he had stopped folding. Does anyone know who he was?

And last time I checked into the forum I was neck and neck with halucigenia... I'm just going to assume we're both still gunning for the same spot. And until I finally get another gpu unit, I'll just rely on my I7 3770k to keep the points up.

We were averaging 20m ppd as a team and this dropped by over a half due to shortage of work units, but we have gained some new members in the meantime. Massive amounts of work are being done and I hope some of those who have arrived for this will stick around.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2533  Postby DKeane » Mar 20, 2020 3:03 pm

Great to see the team is doing so well. I am now working remotely, which means I've had to shut down my folding temporarily. It is just too slow over a remote connection with the computer running the units.

Hope everyone stays safe.
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2534  Postby kiore » Mar 20, 2020 4:41 pm

DKeane wrote:Great to see the team is doing so well. I am now working remotely, which means I've had to shut down my folding temporarily. It is just too slow over a remote connection with the computer running the units.

Hope everyone stays safe.

Completely understand, right now there are huge numbers of willing donors some will stay long term but imagine most will not so a reasonable time for a rest for those of us who do this regularly. New servers are coming online to deal with the sudden surge in requests for work which had functionally worked as a DOS attack from an overworked server's point of view.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2535  Postby halucigenia » Mar 27, 2020 8:19 am

I am finding it difficult to get any WUs without stopping and restarting the FAH service and sometimes deleting the database too as it seems to just get stuck and not find any available WUs.
At least I am working from home now and can reboot when I think it is necessary. I am not sure that it helps but I usually get WUs shortly after intervening.
halucigenia

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2536  Postby kiore » Mar 27, 2020 1:12 pm

This issue is resolving I am now getting WUs pretty constantly and beta testing multiple batchs of new types of units. My ppd dropped to close to 1m but now back up closer to 4m. The pause restart method did work most of the time but the assignment servers were taking a hit from this, now some new capacity seems to have been added and up and running.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2537  Postby DKeane » Apr 02, 2020 12:01 pm

Was able to get my home rig up and folding. This is an older 1060 GPU. I ordered a 2060 Super, which will show up in a few weeks - so numbers should rise a bit for me. Son is going to get the older 1060 and power supply. It is time for him to learn how to start servicing his own machine.
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2538  Postby kiore » Apr 02, 2020 8:40 pm

DKeane wrote:Was able to get my home rig up and folding. This is an older 1060 GPU. I ordered a 2060 Super, which will show up in a few weeks - so numbers should rise a bit for me. Son is going to get the older 1060 and power supply. It is time for him to learn how to start servicing his own machine.

Great! The 2060 super supposed to be.. well.. super. Think you will notice a big difference.
In other news the stats all over the place due to the avalanche of new donors and some issues with the quick return bonus allocation which is being caught up on, I had a huge burst at 0300 my time when some missing ones came in.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2539  Postby SAK917 » Apr 06, 2020 7:19 pm

I was wondering if any of you experienced folders have advice on whether or not enabling the client-type advanced configuration flag is a good idea? I would like to do what I can to help the cause, but the warning in the FAH installation guide makes it sound like testing beta units can impact (overall?) system stability. Does this mean having just the FAH client lock up / crash, or can it affect the overall system (BSOD, etc)? I do have some experience in software beta testing / development and understand "beta", but it isn't quite clear to me how significantly these beta WUs could affect the overall stability of a system.

Have any of you enabled this flag and if so, can you share your experiences?

Thanks
SAK917

Print view this post

#2540  Postby kiore » Apr 06, 2020 9:20 pm

SAK917 wrote:I was wondering if any of you experienced folders have advice on whether or not enabling the client-type advanced configuration flag is a good idea? I would like to do what I can to help the cause, but the warning in the FAH installation guide makes it sound like testing beta units can impact (overall?) system stability. Does this mean having just the FAH client lock up / crash, or can it affect the overall system (BSOD, etc)? I do have some experience in software beta testing / development and understand "beta", but it isn't quite clear to me how significantly these beta WUs could affect the overall stability of a system.

Have any of you enabled this flag and if so, can you share your experiences?

Thanks

I am a beta tester and take more risk in this regard, when projects are on advanced they have already been screened fairly well.
Using these flags mean you should monitor your equipment more closely, full crashes of systems are unlikely more likely are getting stalled projects or core (when new cores released) crash. I think the advanced flag is suitable for anyone willing to pay attention to their systems but not suitable for those who want background folding with no touch required. Sounds like you can do this easily give it a try for 24hrs and see how you go, flag easy to remove.
Welcome!
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology