Folding@Home Team: 182116

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Folding@Home Team: 182116

#2621  Postby kiore » Sep 29, 2020 5:26 pm

kiore wrote:Note if you have an NVIDIA card and the CUDA is not being detected or not working:
1) Use GPU-z to check CUDA ticked.
or
2) If you have a CUDA dev kit installed try removing that and run default.

It seems CUDA toolkit is giving problems, if this the case delete if you don't need it.
A core revision is needed (and underway) to fix some of the issues people are reporting 'in the wild' so that CUDA can activate.
Expect significant PPD increases when this activated plus a bit of temperature increase, if you are overclocking I would bring the card back to stock to see how the new core runs, previous stable OCs may not like this boost.
I have seen quite a lot of various between the different cards and work units and the article I linked (above) show different cards responses to this in different units. I am seeing a range of 20-40% increase in PPD at present when this activated and have had to power limit cards that were already running hot. More heat means more science. :thumbup:
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2622  Postby SAK917 » Sep 30, 2020 4:17 am

Note if you have an NVIDIA card and the CUDA is not being detected or not working:
or

Thanks Kiore, I noted in my logs that it was detecting CUDA but unable to initialize and it was due to having the CUDA Dev Kit installed. I am not using it right now so I uninstalled and everything is working great and my Estimated PPD has gone from about 3.4M to 4.4M! We will see if that holds, but that is a huge increase just from optimizing drivers. My GPU temp has maybe gone up a degree or so, but I am still below 80C (it is sitting at 79C now) and the GPU utilization is parked at 100%.

Running CPUID's HWMonitor I notice something interesting as well. Before the new CUDA update I would often see the flags for Reliable Voltage Limit or Operational Voltage Limit being raised indicating the card was doing some throttling despite the GPU utilization not being at 100%. Now after watching it with the new core, I haven't had either of those flags raised at all, a first that I am aware of. It does, however, have my GPU clock pretty consistently at about 1845MHz for a slight overclock (the card is doing this on its own) and the Power Limit flag is on continuously, so I am assuming that the new core is now almost optimally using my card. That would help explain the 1M PPD increase in my estimated PPD... nice!
SAK917

Print view this post

#2623  Postby DKeane » Sep 30, 2020 9:39 am

It appears that most of us are using Nvidia cards - given the spike in team production over the past day.
DKeane

Name: Dennis Keane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2624  Postby kiore » Sep 30, 2020 3:25 pm

DKeane wrote:It appears that most of us are using Nvidia cards - given the spike in team production over the past day.

Yes indeed GPUs are being optimized presently, I do expect some quite large variations between work units as even small variations are exaggerated by the quick return bonus.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2625  Postby kiore » Sep 30, 2020 3:30 pm

SAK917 wrote:
Note if you have an NVIDIA card and the CUDA is not being detected or not working:
or

Thanks Kiore, I noted in my logs that it was detecting CUDA but unable to initialize and it was due to having the CUDA Dev Kit installed. I am not using it right now so I uninstalled and everything is working great and my Estimated PPD has gone from about 3.4M to 4.4M! We will see if that holds, but that is a huge increase just from optimizing drivers. My GPU temp has maybe gone up a degree or so, but I am still below 80C (it is sitting at 79C now) and the GPU utilization is parked at 100%.

Running CPUID's HWMonitor I notice something interesting as well. Before the new CUDA update I would often see the flags for Reliable Voltage Limit or Operational Voltage Limit being raised indicating the card was doing some throttling despite the GPU utilization not being at 100%. Now after watching it with the new core, I haven't had either of those flags raised at all, a first that I am aware of. It does, however, have my GPU clock pretty consistently at about 1845MHz for a slight overclock (the card is doing this on its own) and the Power Limit flag is on continuously, so I am assuming that the new core is now almost optimally using my card. That would help explain the 1M PPD increase in my estimated PPD... nice!

Glad I posted that info then.
Yes interesting about optimization, this is not just an increase in 'value' it an increase in productivity.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2626  Postby DKeane » Sep 30, 2020 7:30 pm

My kids are getting to the point where they want their own computers. The 2060 Super just dropped in price to $250. So one kid will get a 2060 Super from Amazon, the other will get the same card out of my existing computer and I'm considering buying at 3070 when it comes out. Only issue will be power connector. I think the Founder's edition will have the 12-pin - will need to wait for the 8-pin versions by other companies before I can purchase.
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2627  Postby kiore » Sep 30, 2020 11:01 pm

DKeane wrote:My kids are getting to the point where they want their own computers. The 2060 Super just dropped in price to $250. So one kid will get a 2060 Super from Amazon, the other will get the same card out of my existing computer and I'm considering buying at 3070 when it comes out. Only issue will be power connector. I think the Founder's edition will have the 12-pin - will need to wait for the 8-pin versions by other companies before I can purchase.

All the 3080's I have looked at just need 2x 8 pin those 12 pin ones seem to be early versions.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2628  Postby halucigenia » Oct 01, 2020 2:51 pm

Sorry about the loss of production from me recently, my remaining GeForce GTX 970 seems to be on the blink.
It stopped folding after a glitch that required a reboot and I just can't seem to get it folding again.
Excuse for an upgrade?
I was wondering about 2nd hand RTX 20XXs and the price coming down because of people upgrading to 30XXs to fill a gap until 30XXs become the best option?
I need to overhaul that rig anyway as though I have been happy running Chakra linux on it for the past few years this distro seems to be dying as I am no longer getting regular updates anymore.

I have been wondering about the RTX 2060 KO and how it does with folding as it has a 2080 die in it...
halucigenia

Print view this post

#2629  Postby SAK917 » Oct 01, 2020 10:13 pm

halucigenia,

I bought an RTX 2060 KO on sale a few months ago to replace a couple of ancient GTX 550's that I had in an old computer. My goal was the cheapest card I could find that would give me 1M PPD, and I am pleased to report it did that and more... as I type this I am getting an estimated 1.3M PPD with the new CUDA drivers for F@H. Before the CUDA driver update, I was typically right at 1M PPD. The card is putting out a fraction of the heat the two old 550's did, and using a fraction of the power. All in all I am very pleased with it!

Hope this helps.
SAK917

Print view this post

#2630  Postby kiore » Oct 02, 2020 2:04 am

@ halucigenia No need to apologize, you a long term project contributor with lots of science completed. BTW I enjoy the geology pics you post elsewhere too.
Agree with SAK917 the RTX 2060KO is a sweet spot for price range, has a great reputation for performance/price and hopefully as people sell off recent perfectly good hardware for the new next best thing they will drop in price even more. Maybe even 2nd hand 'as new' or refurbished bargains can be found. The GTX 1660ti I bought this year was in this category as perfectly good recent hardware but not cutting edge, currently out performs my RTX2080ti on purchase cost per PPD by a significant margin.
I expect the 2060KO under CUDA to do even better than SAK917 suggests on some units as the optimization and allocation of work related to expected card performance to improve, the CUDA thing was a first step, a big first step but not all there is to come in my opinion.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2631  Postby halucigenia » Oct 02, 2020 7:18 am

RTX 2060KO it will be then. Thanks SAK917 and kiore. Now off to find one on offer...
halucigenia

Print view this post

#2632  Postby kiore » Oct 02, 2020 3:34 pm

halucigenia wrote:RTX 2060KO it will be then. Thanks SAK917 and kiore. Now off to find one on offer...

I suspect that later iterations of the RTX 2xxxx series will all be good value and who knows if some of that 2080 residing in the 2060KO may be activatable, it has always been conjecture in the past but new drivers etc may change that.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2633  Postby DKeane » Oct 02, 2020 8:02 pm

I'll may end up selling off my 2060 Super OC in the near future...I'm on the notification list for the 3070 when it comes out. I just need to confirm that the card will fit in the NCase I have. It is a tight fit and the Founders edition may be a half inch wider.
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2634  Postby kiore » Oct 02, 2020 11:27 pm

DKeane wrote:I'll may end up selling off my 2060 Super OC in the near future...I'm on the notification list for the 3070 when it comes out. I just need to confirm that the card will fit in the NCase I have. It is a tight fit and the Founders edition may be a half inch wider.

May be more choices for RTX 3070's after the initial release period, I suspect this will be a very popular version if it takes after the XX70's of the 900, 1000 and 2000 series.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2635  Postby kiore » Oct 13, 2020 2:20 am

Team is flying at over 80mppd this is as high or higher than in April when many new members joined to wage war on COVID-19.
Super impressed with member AJM who is currently producing 13mppd average must have some phenominal hardware.
I expect than some of the surge in ppd generated by the CUDA rollout will settle down a little in the future as the workunits were bench marked on open -CL, when bench marking is on CUDA some of these extravagancies might settle down, but it does seem that real performance has increased substantially with this software update.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2636  Postby SAK917 » Oct 13, 2020 5:35 pm

Interestingly it looks like AJM has 10 active clients to produce that output... I wonder what they are running?

I have definitely seen increased output with the new CUDA optimized version. It also looks like we have a new member named Kahhihou that is about to overtake me on production and is steadily cranking out over 5.5M PPD.

What are you running now kiore? Looks like you increased your output significantly as well?
SAK917

Print view this post

#2637  Postby kiore » Oct 13, 2020 9:01 pm

SAK917 wrote:Interestingly it looks like AJM has 10 active clients to produce that output... I wonder what they are running?

I have definitely seen increased output with the new CUDA optimized version. It also looks like we have a new member named Kahhihou that is about to overtake me on production and is steadily cranking out over 5.5M PPD.

What are you running now kiore? Looks like you increased your output significantly as well?

Yes AJM seems to have stuff! Loads of stuff.
Kahhihou also rocking with some serious hardware too it seems.
I am still with 3x gpu's RTX 2080ti (power limited) GTX 1080ti hybrid and GTX 1660ti, have a i7 7000 series on 6 cores running the two GTX's and a Ryzen 3700 on 8 running the RTX. Over the northern summer I had them not at full production due to heat and also have a 13year old using the i7 for gaming (a bit too much). I had been just about to hit a 7mppd average a week or so ago but had a power failure followed by a week of lower performing beta units so just missed breaking that barrier, but really is the CUDA update that has pushed me to 6+ mppd.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2638  Postby SAK917 » Oct 18, 2020 11:39 pm

Darn Microsoft Flight Simulator is impacting my PPD... anyone else having this problem?
SAK917

Print view this post

#2639  Postby kiore » Oct 19, 2020 1:05 am

SAK917 wrote:Darn Microsoft Flight Simulator is impacting my PPD... anyone else having this problem?

Are you using the flight sim while folding? I usually pause while doing GPU intensive stuff.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2640  Postby SAK917 » Oct 19, 2020 3:22 pm

No, I finish the WUs in-progress prior to playing and pause folding while I play... ergo the hit on my PPD. I haven't played a game in years but bought MSFS out of curiosity to see how "real" the environment actually was (my degrees are in geography and computer science). I am very impressed, to the point that I have been playing it repeatedly over the past few weeks.
SAK917

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology