Folding@Home Team: 182116

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Folding@Home Team: 182116

#2641  Postby kiore » Oct 19, 2020 4:01 pm

SAK917 wrote:No, I finish the WUs in-progress prior to playing and pause folding while I play... ergo the hit on my PPD. I haven't played a game in years but bought MSFS out of curiosity to see how "real" the environment actually was (my degrees are in geography and computer science). I am very impressed, to the point that I have been playing it repeatedly over the past few weeks.

Understand, the CPU folding shouldn't be affected as the CPU can do priorities, but GPU's are not so 'smart' or rather the manufacturers and driver writers have never considered that the GPU would act independently like this.
My 1660ti had been playing up and I thought it was dying prematurely, but turns out that someone had been 'adjusting' it and the power cable was not seated properly, I removed the plug and reseated it and away it went again.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2642  Postby halucigenia » Oct 24, 2020 6:08 pm

My remaining GeForce GTX 970 is folding again. I removed Chakra linux and installed Kubuntu 20.10. It must have just been outdated drivers since Chakra linux was no longer getting regular updates anymore.
I have not seen any RTX 2060 KO going cheap on eBay, but Amazon UK sometimes has them sub £280 which are tempting me.
Watercooled RTX 2080s on eBay are tempting too but still too pricey for me.

I really have to refurbish the now Kubuntu rig with the 970 and strip it down and clean it out, but what I do with it will depend on what tempts me most in the RTX 20XX range. Re-configuring the water loop for a RTX 20XX and the keeping the 970 water cooled will be the next project.

FAHClient seems to be impossible to stop and restart at the moment on both of my rigs. FAHControl won't install as it requires older packages than are installed on newer Ubuntu versions. Also I can't reliably restart the service with "sudo systemctl stop/start/restart FAHClient" anymore for some reason, a real pain when configuring FAH.
At least I am folding on both Kubuntu rigs now though.
halucigenia

Print view this post

#2643  Postby SAK917 » Oct 27, 2020 8:35 pm

Kiore et. al.,

Just installed the updated F@H Advanced Control (v7.6.21) and noticed that for the first time it is picking up my integrated Intel GPU on my i9-9900K CPU. It is listed in a folding slot as "gpu:0:2 Gen9p5/GT2 [UHD Graphics 630]" but status is "Disabled", and I am reluctant to try to get it fired up unless I can learn a little more. Have you heard anything about this? I looked in the Folding Forum but didn't see anything about folding on Intel integrated GPUs being a thing now.

Any insights appreciated!

Update #1... some additional info I just noticed from the F@H Log:
Code: Select all
20:18:34:FS01:Initialized folding slot 01: gpu:1:0 TU102 [GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Rev. A] M 13448
20:18:34:FS00:Initialized folding slot 00: cpu:8
20:18:34:WARNING:FS02:Guessing ambiguous GPU to OpenCL device mapping for 02: gpu:0:2 Gen9p5/GT2 [UHD Graphics 630].  Consider upgrading your graphics driver or manually setting ``opencl-index`` in this slot's configuration.
20:18:34:WARNING:FS02:Disabling beta GPU slot 02: gpu:0:2 Gen9p5/GT2 [UHD Graphics 630].  Beta GPUs can be tested for no points by setting ``gpu-beta=true`` in the configuration.

Update #2... I found this in the Folding Forum under the GPU Stopped Working thread:
bruce wrote:The Intel GPUs are not supported yet. They are being tested by a select group of beta testers and we're waiting for their reports. Please disable FAH from using the Iris 630. You can set "Pause-on-start" to "true" for that device or you can disable it in the BIOS.

Update #3: One of the admins on Folding Forum replied to a question about this that I posted:
Joe_H wrote:There are a number of other topics asking about this, the short of it s that F@h does not currently have a separate development system for running tests on new hardware and WUs. So, several of the Intel iGPUs are enabled for internal testers to use with WUs from existing projects. The client is set to not enable them otherwise.

When the internal testing s done and they have worked out any problems, then these iGPUs may get enabled for beta testing at first. No idea how long this will take.
SAK917

Print view this post

#2644  Postby kiore » Oct 28, 2020 1:43 am

Don't try and use the iGPU yet, any work it may get should it work will be by accident and purely test level stuff. Best to wait for a supported core that can use it without risk. I am aware of some people have accessed some pre beta level stuff and then complain it messing with their system or not working properly. The update v7.6.21 does not yet seem to offer any performance increases but does look like it has some upcoming features built in. I suspect big improvements are likely but they won't announce until stuff really works.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2645  Postby DKeane » Oct 28, 2020 12:45 pm

Slightly off-topic. Going to try and pick up a 3070 (assuming I can get one). Nvidia is recommending a 750W power supply. When I use a few online calculators (using the 3080 = greater power requirement), I get a number just below 500w. I currently have a 650, so I feel as if I should be fine, but wanted to get others thoughts/experiences. Too close?
DKeane

Name: Dennis Keane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2646  Postby SAK917 » Oct 28, 2020 8:35 pm

I am afraid my systems won't provide any datapoints for you as their power supplies are larger. That said, my 2080Ti (overclocked) is churning away on a WU and according to GPU-Z is drawing about 255-260W with very occasional spikes to 275W (Board Power Draw) at 95-99% TDP. Considering a stock 2080Ti is rated for a 30W higher TDP (250W) than the 3070 is (220W), depending on if you buy an OC'd card you should be in the 220-240W range with the 3070? Seems like a 650W power supply should have you adequately covered with some headroom to spare. Not sure if you are running multiple cards or other peripherals though.

At the TechPowerUp site description for the 3070, they list the Suggested PSU to be 550W which makes sense.
SAK917

Print view this post

#2647  Postby SAK917 » Oct 29, 2020 8:02 pm

kiore wrote:Don't try and use the iGPU yet, any work it may get should it work will be by accident and purely test level stuff. Best to wait for a supported core that can use it without risk.

Thanks Kiore, figured I should ask first since you are on the beta test team. I didn't realize that F@H didn't have a "testing channel" so beta features can leak out into the wild before they are actually ready for prime time. Not a big deal once you know.

Will be interesting to see what effect folding simultaneously on both the CPU and iGPU might have, I would imagine thermal throttling will be an even bigger issue? Or even just having the CPU feeding both the iGPU and a separate GPU card without folding on the CPU... so many questions.

Thanks again, your insights always appreciated.
SAK917

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2648  Postby kiore » Oct 29, 2020 11:12 pm

DKeane wrote:Slightly off-topic. Going to try and pick up a 3070 (assuming I can get one). Nvidia is recommending a 750W power supply. When I use a few online calculators (using the 3080 = greater power requirement), I get a number just below 500w. I currently have a 650, so I feel as if I should be fine, but wanted to get others thoughts/experiences. Too close?

Good luck getting one NVIDIA is releasing the 3xxx series incredibly slowly.
Looks like a top end 650w Gold/Platinum PSU should be enough but depends what else it driving, I see quotes of 300+ w draw for the 3080 but people who have them indicate lower numbers with killawatt meters. You could start of power limiting the GPU to 75% with something like MSI Afterburner and see how you go. I suspect they overrate the power requirements to cover for lower standard PSU's or ones running lots of stuff.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2649  Postby DKeane » Oct 31, 2020 10:56 am

Thanks SAK and Kiore. I was there when they were released and had a unit in my cart for purchase - but alas, site was crazy slow and lost out. I'll have to wait a few months.

I'm running a mini-ITX without any real additional power draw (a few USB items is all). Power supply is gold rated - was basically all that was available in the SFX-L standard 6 months ago. You can get higher rated in that standard, but they start getting costly.
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2650  Postby DKeane » Oct 31, 2020 10:57 am

Would note that over the past few weeks, I've been having some difficulty getting CPU units. I can usually tell because the fans are a bit quieter than normal....
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2651  Postby kiore » Oct 31, 2020 5:14 pm

DKeane wrote:Would note that over the past few weeks, I've been having some difficulty getting CPU units. I can usually tell because the fans are a bit quieter than normal....

There have been some gaps as new series are under development.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2652  Postby SAK917 » Nov 04, 2020 7:11 pm

It appears that the team's active users count seems to have bottomed out near the beginning of October and is actually climbing again, albeit slowly, and some of the new folks are cranking out some serious points. Several that I have looked at more closely (curious to see how many rigs they might be running) seem to have come from other secularly-oriented teams like "Skeptics Guide to the Universe Fan Team", "Team Atheism" or "Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science (Official)". Be interesting to see if the trend continues...

It is also kind of surprising to me that at 311 active folders, we are tied for 24th place in terms of number of active users on the team. I would have thought there were a lot more teams larger than ASH Folding? Given there are presently about 1,560 teams with actively folding members, that is fairly impressive.

Not sure why I bring this up, just seemed interesting to me.
SAK917

Print view this post

#2653  Postby kiore » Nov 05, 2020 2:42 am

Despite the team sliding in rankings this year, this is caused by some major corporate teams joining to fight COVID-19 actually output is close to 5 times what it was at the beginning of the year, we are now close to averaging 100m a day and 5 members average over 5mppd! This would have been unthinkable early in the year. I finally averaged 7mppd today but unsure this will last for long as due to a 'lucky' string of high performing units that suit my cards. I had thought that a lot of new members would lose interest as the quick cure not as quick as expected but really looks like we have attracted a group that are sticking with it.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2654  Postby SAK917 » Nov 05, 2020 6:53 pm

kiore wrote:I finally averaged 7mppd today but unsure this will last for long as due to a 'lucky' string of high performing units that suit my cards.

Kiore, how many years has it taken to accumulate your almost 4 billion points? I assume most of that time was at a much lower PPD production level?
SAK917

Print view this post

#2655  Postby kiore » Nov 05, 2020 8:38 pm

SAK917 wrote:
kiore wrote:I finally averaged 7mppd today but unsure this will last for long as due to a 'lucky' string of high performing units that suit my cards.

Kiore, how many years has it taken to accumulate your almost 4 billion points? I assume most of that time was at a much lower PPD production level?

Oh I started in early 2009, took 2 weeks for my first work unit to finish for 600 points total or so on my laptop.
In mid 2009 I built a 'super folder' system with 4 x gt9800's and a Phenom II quad core cpu running 2x virtual clients, this machine scored the amazing average of 20k ppd which classified it at the time as a Most Powerful Folder, a single system that could do over 20kppd. Here in this team chat we used to make a big deal when someone made 1 million points total contribution, and this was a really big deal. We now as a team are close to 100million a day due to leaps in technology both in hardware and software.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2656  Postby SAK917 » Nov 06, 2020 4:51 am

kiore wrote:Oh I started in early 2009, took 2 weeks for my first work unit to finish for 600 points total or so on my laptop.

Eleven years without stop? That is some dedication, impressive! I have folded on and off over the years, but I have to admit that you have inspired me to keep my rigs running more steadily.

kiore wrote:In mid 2009 I built a 'super folder' system with 4 x gt9800's and a Phenom II quad core cpu running 2x virtual clients, this machine scored the amazing average of 20k ppd which classified it at the time as a Most Powerful Folder, a single system that could do over 20kppd. Here in this team chat we used to make a big deal when someone made 1 million points total contribution, and this was a really big deal. We now as a team are close to 100million a day due to leaps in technology both in hardware and software.

I recently retired my two old GTX 580 cards that were generating about 100K PPD between the two of them and replaced them with a 2060 KO that is consistently cranking out over a million PPD. Advances in technology are pretty amazing when you think about how fast progress is being made.

And I am pretty happy with my 2070 Ti but I just saw today that an RTX 3080 Ti is rumored to be forthcoming with twice the memory of the 3080 (20GB) and the same FP32 count as the 3090... that just might be the next shiny lure for me to chase. The 10GB of the 3080 would be more than fine for folding, but is low for my machine learning work. The 3080 Ti sounds like it would be a sweet spot between the 3080 and 3090, and hopefully at a competitive price in light of AMD's recent Big Navi RX 6900 XT announcement priced $500 less than the 3090 with supposedly comparable performance. I haven't seen much info on the folding performance of the new RTX 30XX series cards though, will be interesting to see what kind of a jump the next generation of technology brings.
SAK917

Print view this post

#2657  Postby kiore » Nov 07, 2020 12:20 am

Currently folding performance of AMD cards suffers due to various factors, right now the CUDA improvements have left open CL for dead. NVIDIA is more involved it tweaks for F@H than AMD, if that changes then the game is on.

For alot of that time I was folding I was stuck in difficult locations including war zones and although that seems incredible in the more dangerous places the more folding I tended to do as there were few outside outlets to distract me and it was something I could do just with a satellite connection inside without requiring much space and I built and rebuilt a lot of systems in that time buying in spare parts when I went on leave.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2658  Postby DKeane » Nov 12, 2020 3:31 pm

I was wondering when I first started. I created my account here in November 2011, so it was likely only a few months before that.
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2659  Postby kiore » Nov 12, 2020 7:39 pm

DKeane wrote:I was wondering when I first started. I created my account here in November 2011, so it was likely only a few months before that.

You have certainly been here for the long haul.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2660  Postby kiore » Nov 12, 2020 7:42 pm

Having posted that last post and seen the figures in my signature I see we have at least temporarily hit an average of 100million ppd as a team, this an incredible effort reflecting enormous amounts of data crunched.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Science & Technology