Folding@Home Team: 182116

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Folding@Home Team: 182116

#2661  Postby DKeane » Jan 22, 2021 4:38 pm

I was finally able to order a 3070 Founders Edition today. Will get it in my hands sometime in the next week or so. If I cared, I could probably scalp it for a good profit, no way.....

EDIT: I just realized I can sell my 2060 Super OC on Ebay and essentially fund the entire 3070 purchase.
DKeane

Name: Dennis Keane

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2662  Postby kiore » Jan 22, 2021 4:51 pm

DKeane wrote:I was finally able to order a 3070 Founders Edition today. Will get it in my hands sometime in the next week or so. If I cared, I could probably scalp it for a good profit, no way.....

EDIT: I just realized I can sell my 2060 Super OC on Ebay and essentially fund the entire 3070 purchase.

That's incredible both to be able get a 3000 series card and to sell that 2000 series cards are still selling close what there when new.
Interested to see how the 3070 performs.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2663  Postby DKeane » Feb 01, 2021 6:29 pm

Just got it installed. Soooo much quieter than the MSA 2060 Super Ventus I used to have. The client is currently saying that I'll get 3.2 Mppd, but clearly YMMV.
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2664  Postby kiore » Feb 04, 2021 3:30 am

DKeane wrote:Just got it installed. Soooo much quieter than the MSA 2060 Super Ventus I used to have. The client is currently saying that I'll get 3.2 Mppd, but clearly YMMV.

Will vary between projects but seems like a very powerful card which should really rock especially the high atom count ones.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2665  Postby DKeane » Feb 09, 2021 9:17 pm

I was a bit concerned that some of my WUs were getting getting "lost" - to the point where I reinstalled Folding on my machine around lunchtime today. But looking at the most recent update from Extreme Overclocking Folding, it appears that they were just in limbo and are included in the most recent refresh.
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2666  Postby DKeane » Mar 16, 2021 11:20 am

Finally joined the billion point club. Do I get a key to the executive bathroom now?
DKeane

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2667  Postby kiore » Aug 31, 2021 11:32 pm

Has been a while since I posted here, my daily output has dipped considerably as my RTX 2080ti which was always a dud finally blew a bearing. I stripped it down and cleaned it up in case it was dust buildup causing the increasingly loud rattle..but even clean as new heatsink plus new thermal paste and balanced fans could not prevail. Way too many hours spent disassembling and reassembling this card to no effect.For those of you who have considered but not actually stripped and rebuilt a modern video card.. don't do it. Card is now wrapped up pending RMA, just 80 days left on the warrantee should have RMAed it early on as a dud for heat but have tolerated this for way too long. Hopefully the replacement is not such a dud card.
I have been on waiting lists for 3000 series hybrid cards from EVGA since March but the chip shortage is real and not just generated by scalpers.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2668  Postby kiore » Sep 12, 2021 1:29 am

Took a week to get my RMA for the RTX 2080ti approved, am sending the faulty card back tomorrow so hopefully will have replacement up and working within a couple of weeks. This assuming they have an appropriate refurbished card available, it has always been fast and easy before but now with the chip shortage I wonder.
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#2669  Postby kiore » Sep 21, 2021 12:35 am

So my RTX 2080ti RMA replacement is on its way! In the meanwhile my old GTX1080ti hybrid also started overheating and suspect the liquid coolant not circulating well, perhaps the pump gone, I will pull it apart and see next weekend, I do have a spare hybrid heatsink and loop which may fit if necessary. Seems to be hardware dying time at present 2 of 3 video cards and my laptop in the past 3 weeks..
Read here:
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Science & Technology