Hydrogen economy lives!!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Hydrogen economy lives!!

#1  Postby Macdoc » May 12, 2017 6:50 am

I had sort of written of a hydrogen powered economy as a dead end but this has me rethinking it....

Hmmmph ...caught me off guard ...thought a hydrogen future was a bit of a dead issue....

Renewable hydrogen could fuel Australia's next export boom after CSIRO breakthrough
By Rebecca Turner
Updated about 3 hours ago

VIDEO: CSIRO's Dr Michael Dolan explains the renewable hydrogen technology (ABC News)

Australia's next big export industry could be its sunlight and wind, as game-changing technology makes it easier to transport and deliver their energy as hydrogen.

more
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-11/h ... om/8518916
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Hydrogen economy lives!!

#2  Postby zulumoose » May 12, 2017 8:21 am

Looks promising, I remember my materials science lecturer telling us about 30 years ago that Hydrogen can be stored in aluminium more densely than liquid hydrogen as well, but that to extract it took more energy than burning it creates, maybe ammonia really is the answer, and if extraction is easy enough perhaps ammonia could be the next petrol rather than dispensing compressed gas or exchanging cylinders at fuel stations.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Fenrir » May 12, 2017 9:25 am

Yay.

Lets fill our cars with a concentrated poisonous corrosive gas. What could possibly go wrong.

At least it's not flammable.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Calilasseia » May 12, 2017 12:35 pm

Apparently the catalytic membrane decomposes ammonia into N2 and H2. The first of these gases is already a major component of the atmosphere, and thus doesn't constitute a pollutant. So a vehicle using this technology would end up producing N2 and H2O as exhaust.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Macdoc » May 12, 2017 1:23 pm

Lets fill our cars with a concentrated poisonous corrosive gas. What could possibly go wrong.

As opposed to a concentrated poisonous explosive liquid ( BTW ammonia as liquid not gas ) we currently use that heats the planet.
Better check your priorities.
This is an excellent way to move and store solar energy around the planet in a similar way that LNG is current done now but ammonia is far safer.
A dome of LNG has the explosive power of a light nuke - one reason there is opposition from locating near population centres.

Australia already has a trial in place to move solar generated ammonia to Japan as a step towards a hydrogen economy there.
There are a couple more holy grails for hydrogen that are tough for refueling directly - energy density that a substrate can hold.

good paper here

Exploring Promising Catalysts for Chemical Hydrogen Storage in ...
www.mdpi.com/2073-4344/7/5/140/pdf
May 5, 2017 - Received: 20 October 2016; Accepted: 21 April 2017; Published: 5 May 2017 ... it allows for high selectivity through intimate substrate-catalyst interactions, ... of novel metal hydrogen-storage catalysts for AB is of continuing interest ...... Centre for High-End Computing for the provision of high-performance computing facilities.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to General Science & Technology